Righteous fury rules questions

By Crimsonsphinx, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hi Everyone,

As a long time player of Warhammer fantasy roleplay I am familiar with how Ulrics/Righteous fury work in normal circumstances, but I have a couple of questions when the dice get a bit more complicated.

So to my questions;

If a gun rolls 2d10 or more for damage, and both come up with tens, do you roll once or twice for the extra damage?

If a weapon does d5 damage, does it fury on just a 10, or a 9 and 10?

Can psychic powers cause righteous fury? My guess is yes if they roll to hit, but no otherwise due to the rules on this.

Do npcs/enemies get righteous fury?

Hello,

"If a gun rolls 2d10 or more for damage, and both come up with tens, do you roll once or twice for the extra damage?"

In my opinion you reroll once. It's a plus with a 2d10 damage weapon, you have double chance to have an 0.

"If a weapon does d5 damage, does it fury on just a 10, or a 9 and 10?"

don't know i do on 10 only.

"Can psychic powers cause righteous fury? My guess is yes if they roll to hit, but no otherwise due to the rules on this."

For me Yes you can make a WillPower to valid the first roll.

"Do npcs/enemies get righteous fury?"

Yes they can for boss or strong one, in fact they have destiny point too equal to their willpower bonus.

S

The rules for RF specifically state that when the d10 rolled for damage has a "10" on its face is when you threaten Righteous Fury. (so this answers the d5 weapon question)

For multiple d10 weapons, you still only roll to confirm once for any distinct hit (full auto weapons are scary for this, as each of those hits could possibly cause a Righteous Fury).

For NPCs, as stated earlier, its mainly on for the Big Bads. Technically, its anyone who has the "Touched By The Fates" trait, which gives them Fate Points.

As far as psychic powers, I'm in a minority here, but I recognize that RAW in the book they do not, but that some developers have answered rules questions saying that they do (with a confirmation roll of whatever it takes to manifest the power).

The reason I say they do not is specifically because the RF rules state you only threaten RF as a result of any damage that came about from an attack made using a WS or BS roll. Not a power manifestation, not an opposed Willpower test (looking at force weapons). Personally I feel they do enough damage anyway that they don't really need RF. Once again though, most people are going to say this does threaten Righteous Fury, and they're not necessarily wrong.

KommissarK said:

The reason I say they do not is specifically because the RF rules state you only threaten RF as a result of any damage that came about from an attack made using a WS or BS roll. Not a power manifestation, not an opposed Willpower test (looking at force weapons). Personally I feel they do enough damage anyway that they don't really need RF. Once again though, most people are going to say this does threaten Righteous Fury, and they're not necessarily wrong.

No they don't state it in the core rule book but it was answered somewhere before that to confirm a RF with a psychic powers is to roll the same dice that you used to manifest the power and make the powers threshold again, just like rolling the percentile dice for WS or BS a second time to confirm their RF. So if you used 1 die to manifest a power and you get a RF with it, then you roll only 1 die again to make the PT and if you do then have a confirmed RF then.

If you accept later games to qualify as Erratas or rules clarifications, then it's RAW as per Black Crusade at least. I believe it has also been handled as a Rules Question answered by the devs here somewhere, and the ruling was that yes, damage dealing powers cause Righteous Fury.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the d5 one would be 10 only, but I thought I would see what other players did.

WIth psychic powers, I had always allowed righteous fury if the players spells required them to hit with a ballistic skill test [since that is what the rules suggest] but allowing them to test on willpower sounds a fair substitute.

I think it is worth noting that on a tearing weapon if both D10s came up 10 I would make the player roll for each RF confirmation.

You would be using a house rule, in that case.

The Rules As Written state that if any of the rolled dice (meaning 1 or more) come up as 10, then there is a chance of Righteous fury.

More dice mean more chance, but you still only check once to confirm, and only roll 1 additional die.

Even if you rolled 5 10s with your lascannon, you'd still only get to confirm once, then add 1 single d10.

Huh, I'll re-read that bit then. I always treated the tearing dmg rolls as totally separate posibilitiies.

I'll just borrow your thread for a related question, so if my BS is 30 and I need to confirm a righteous fury, I need to roll a 30 or less right, but what if I have bonuses like the Aim Action, pointblank/close range bonus and a semi/auto burst bonus? Do I still have to beat the 30? or the bonuses apply to confirm the hit too?

I'll just borrow your thread for a related question, so if my BS is 30 and I need to confirm a righteous fury, I need to roll a 30 or less right, but what if I have bonuses like the Aim Action, pointblank/close range bonus and a semi/auto burst bonus? Do I still have to beat the 30? or the bonuses apply to confirm the hit too?

While the text in Dark Heresy is not precise, the text used in Rogue Trader and later versions of the 40K rules say:

" This calls for a second attack roll that is identical, all modifiers included, to the original attack. "

Another little doubt about damage, sorry if its OT, when someone shoots in full or semi auto, each degree of success grants damage equal to the weapon's damage right? IE: an Autogun would do 1d10+3 for each "bullet"?

Yes, that's right. And the Targets Armour and Toughness (referred to as Soak) is subtracted from each one.

"Do npcs/enemies get righteous fury?"

Yes they can for boss or strong one, in fact they have destiny point too equal to their willpower bonus.

S

For NPCs, as stated earlier, its mainly on for the Big Bads. Technically, its anyone who has the "Touched By The Fates" trait, which gives them Fate Points.

It seems that I have been running this wrong forever! Can you find me a page number for this as I looked at the rules for righteous fury this morning and didn't see anything about it only being for PCs or for those with fate points

(Bold emphasis by me)

pg. 28 "Acolytes are unique individuals that are destined to do the Emperor’s
work. Fate represents this special destiny
that sets them aside from
the teeming masses of humanity."

pg. 185 "All Player Characters begin play with a number of Fate
Points. The number of Fate Points a character receives is
decided during character creation. Fate Points are what
separates Acolytes from the ordinary people of the Imperium. PCs
have destinies and the Emperor has marked them for greater things.
"

Also when you look at critter entries in Creatures Anathema and other books, there is no mention of Fate Points in the critter stats. But I do remember seeing a few NPC's in some of the books stating they have a determined number of Fate Points. Thus all this points to the fact that mainly only the PC's have Fate Points and some key NPC's might have a few as well. This is actually in line of many other gaming systems, such as Pathfinder (Hero Points) and D&D (was it Action Points?) where the PC's are given a chance to use points to augment or change the roll instead of just killing off the character due to one bad roll but critters and NPC's are "out of luck" :)

Edited by johniemi

But I do remember seeing a few NPC's in some of the books stating they have a determined number of Fate Points.

Yeah, there's a specific "Touched by the Fates" NPC talent, iirc?

Just like the Attack modifiers, Fate Points as well as Righteous Fury seem to be different in almost each of the games, and I suppose it would be possible to "assimilate" a newer version if you don't like the DH original. That's something everyone will have to decide for themselves, though - not everyone thinks the newer versions are truly superior, anyways.

I asked the same question on darkreign. The fact that righteous fury is only for PCs is only true of DH 1e. It's in the main rulebook pg. 195 (sidebar). You need to go to the bottom of the example. The text is still in the same italics as the example, that's how I missed it.

I thought to myself, this is an easy concept, I don't need to read the example to understand completely *WRONG* The example contains more crunch. I'm sure it was a mistake in editing.

The simplest way is "If they have fate, they can righteous fury"

If you accept later games to qualify as Erratas or rules clarifications, then it's RAW as per Black Crusade at least. I believe it has also been handled as a Rules Question answered by the devs here somewhere, and the ruling was that yes, damage dealing powers cause Righteous Fury.

Black Crusade has a very different RF mechanic, though.

DH = Only PCs

RT + DW = Everyone

BC + OW = Alternate system (do a direct 1d5 crit instead of adding damage)

DH = Only PCs

RT + DW = Everyone

NPCs cannot RF in Rogue Trader and Deathwatch normally.

F'ing RF, how does it work?

Heh, this thread does a great job of illustrating the delights of having 5 concurrent variations of a system.

As happy as I am that we're now running a homebrewed version of an abandoned system, I'm more upset that doing so was easier than trying to run the cluster f. of system variants that FFG has created.

I'm seriously starting to wonder why FFG even bothers to have game designers work on the 40K lines. At this point it'd be easier for everyone, and no doubt cheaper for FFG, if their releases were rules-free.

Rogue Trader says nothing about this. I've checked, because I thought so too. There have been threads on this in the RT forums as well, but as far as I can tell, this little restriction from DH never made it into RT.

The actual rules were changed, too, but were changed back in the Errata.

DH = Only PCs

RT + DW = Everyone

Because?