First game under my belt. Two questions however......

By Dexter Drake, in CoC Rules Discussion

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I just played my first game with a friend and we enjoyed ourselves and only had a few minor rule questions, I was wondering if you kind people could help clarify some issues.

The first is my friend had a character card with the paddy wagon placed on it. I brought in a character card that makes a character return to the players hand. Now does the paddy wagon go to the discard pile or does it go back to the players hand?

The second is I had a Dabbler in the Unknown in play. My opponent played the shotgun card and targeted my Dabbler in the Unknown. The dabbler has an ability that if you sacrifice the dabbler, you can place a success token on a story card that has no success token. My question is, the dabbler was untapped (don't know if this matters) and there was a story card without a token on in. Can I use that ability after I was targeted with the shotgun blast before the damage is given. I used to play magic and I am picturing an instant/interupt. It was my opponents turn.

This will sound like a stupid question but we were wondering, after you use your domains, does the power refresh every turn and continue to stay the same size or when I use the power, the cards I have go to the discard pile. We assume they refresh and the cards do not go to your discard pile.

Thank you very much for all your help.

--- Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, ---

Hi, welcome to the game.

--- I just played my first game with a friend and we enjoyed ourselves and only had a few minor rule questions, I was wondering if you kind people could help clarify some issues.

The first is my friend had a character card with the paddy wagon placed on it. I brought in a character card that makes a character return to the players hand. Now does the paddy wagon go to the discard pile or does it go back to the players hand? ---

When a card with attachments leaves play for any reason (or a character goes insane) all of its attachments are put to the discard pile.

-- The second is I had a Dabbler in the Unknown in play. My opponent played the shotgun card and targeted my Dabbler in the Unknown. The dabbler has an ability that if you sacrifice the dabbler, you can place a success token on a story card that has no success token. My question is, the dabbler was untapped (don't know if this matters) and there was a story card without a token on in. Can I use that ability after I was targeted with the shotgun blast before the damage is given. I used to play magic and I am picturing an instant/interupt. It was my opponents turn. ---

Nope, you can't sacrifice the Dabbler "in response". There's no stack, so once your opponent plays the Shotgun Blast, it will resolve before any other actions can be taken (disrupts are an exception).

--- This will sound like a stupid question but we were wondering, after you use your domains, does the power refresh every turn and continue to stay the same size or when I use the power, the cards I have go to the discard pile. We assume they refresh and the cards do not go to your discard pile. ---

When you drain a domain, no resources are destroyed. You just put a marker on the domain card to indicate that domain is used for this turn. It will be available the next turn with the same amount of resources (or more, if you resource there).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bard It does

I just finished my first game and we had a few problems. I think that I am using old Magic the Gathering rules and mixing them in out of habit. Does a person come into play exhausted? If no them what stops you from jumping in and heading for a story, especially if you have a investigation icon?

If there is no one contesting the story does the arcane struggle still commence? Do I get to untap a guy in that story?

Colin

Bibbles said:

I just finished my first game and we had a few problems. I think that I am using old Magic the Gathering rules and mixing them in out of habit. Does a person come into play exhausted? If no them what stops you from jumping in and heading for a story, especially if you have a investigation icon?

If there is no one contesting the story does the arcane struggle still commence? Do I get to untap a guy in that story?

Colin

nope, they are ready to go right away, however, first player on first turn cant go for stories. after that characters can commit on the same turn.

all struggles happen during the story phase. even if none of the characters have the icons. struggles go based on the story card, not the characters. so yes the guy readies and you'll probably get 2 tokens, unless something happens....

Quick question here after my first game, just to clarify Pay 1 or X for effects can be drained from any domain regardless of faction matching right?

EvoCaliber said:

Quick question here after my first game, just to clarify Pay 1 or X for effects can be drained from any domain regardless of faction matching right?

That's right, "Pay [amount] to do something..." doesn't require faction resource match.

One more quest, a player can only ever drain a total of three domains right?

EvoCaliber said:

One more quest, a player can only ever drain a total of three domains right?

No, you can drain any number of domains you have. For example if you control Y'Golonac and have 5 domains, you can use Y'Go's ability up to 5 times.

If you couldn't drain more than 3 domains, it would be rather pointless to use cards like Eldritch Nexus, right?

Bard said:

EvoCaliber said:

That's right, "Pay [amount] to do something..." doesn't require faction resource match.

this just gave me an idea for a neat set of character/support effects.......pay x of a faction resource to trigger effect. maybe the card would have their faction as part of a standard ability, and another set faction for a strong version of that ability.

like a misk card that is pay x misk to draw cards, pay x yog to draw even more cards, or something.

PearlJamaholic said:

Bard said:

EvoCaliber said:

this just gave me an idea for a neat set of character/support effects.......pay x of a faction resource to trigger effect. maybe the card would have their faction as part of a standard ability, and another set faction for a strong version of that ability.

like a misk card that is pay x misk to draw cards, pay x yog to draw even more cards, or something.

That would be pretty cool. It'd be like the AE rare domain attachments, like Agency Stakeout and his buddies.

-- Agency --
Agency Stakeout
---------------
Type : Support
Cost : 2
Subtype : Attachment. Location.
Game Text: Attach to one of your Domains. Action: drain attached Domain to choose and wound a character with skill lower than the number of [Agency] resources attached.