Newbie with some questions

By ilhanicus, in Fortress America

Just a couple of questions from a new player.

1) What is the point of scouting with helicopters? From my understanding, choppers can't move again if they scout, but if they simply attack normally, they'd still be able to move 2 spaces to attack a territory, and then 2 more spaces during your invasion step. So… what's the point?

2) Are there any restrictions during the 'Maneuvers' or 'Invasion' step? Are you allowed to move units that you don't plan on using in combat this turn? So for example, could I move a helicopter 2 spaces if it doesn't end in a territory adjacent to an enemy-controlled zone? Similarly in the Invasion step, can I move units into territories that I didn't just fight over this turn?

3) Are there, effectively, 2 movement steps in this game? Coming from Axis & Allies where no units that fight in combat can move again afterwards, this is an odd change for me. Would tanks, example, be able to move 1 space in the Maneuvers phase AND 1 space again after that during the Invasion step?

1) You can land in behind enemies and cut off their rote of retreat. If they can’t move backwards, or sideways, they die automatically. You need to be able to take the sapace on this attack, or during the supply phase, your helicopters will be cut off themselves and die.

2) Yes. And you can move to a territory that is adjacent to an enemy, weather you attack it or not…as long as you own it. That way you can shore up forces. Yes, to the tank question.

3) Yes. It’s the only way to ‘claim’ territories that you take out defenders. Remember you attack adjacent and then move in after. Unlike A&A you do not move into the territory to attack, you place an attack marker. You don’t even have to move in to claim it if you don’t want to.

1) You can land in behind enemies and cut off their rote of retreat. If they can’t move backwards, or sideways, they die automatically. You need to be able to take the sapace on this attack, or during the supply phase, your helicopters will be cut off themselves and die.

2) Yes. And you can move to a territory that is adjacent to an enemy, weather you attack it or not…as long as you own it. That way you can shore up forces. Yes, to the tank question.

3) Yes. It’s the only way to ‘claim’ territories that you take out defenders. Remember you attack adjacent and then move in after. Unlike A&A you do not move into the territory to attack, you place an attack marker. You don’t even have to move in to claim it if you don’t want to.