Modifications

By usgrandprix, in Game Mechanics

I'm not sure I'm quite getting mods and I'm sure it's my fault.

If anyone could help with a few questions I'd appreciate it.

Is the process you buy an attachment and then you can do the mods on your own by paying and rolling?

What exactly is "0-2 Damage +1 Mods"? Can I get 2 (1-2) or 3 (0-2) total damage mods? The zero is throwing me. Is there a difference between Damage and Damage 1?

Does the same mod have to be done incrementally? Can I just pay and roll one time to get straight to 2 Damage mods or do I have to do the first one and then the second one?

Did anyone see anything on paying to have mods done for you?

Finally just a comment. I noticed lightsabers have no hp. While I think most of the EotE attachments do not apply to a saber, it seems like it should have 1 HP for Superior Weapon Customisation. I hope there are rules for modding and using various crystals in sabers. I don;t want anything getting out of hand but I like characters to get attached to their equipment (so I can take it away, just kidding).

usgrandprix said:

Is the process you buy an attachment and then you can do the mods on your own by paying and rolling?

What exactly is "0-2 Damage +1 Mods"? Can I get 2 (1-2) or 3 (0-2) total damage mods? The zero is throwing me. Is there a difference between Damage and Damage 1?

Does the same mod have to be done incrementally? Can I just pay and roll one time to get straight to 2 Damage mods or do I have to do the first one and then the second one?

Did anyone see anything on paying to have mods done for you?

Finally just a comment. I noticed lightsabers have no hp. While I think most of the EotE attachments do not apply to a saber, it seems like it should have 1 HP for Superior Weapon Customisation. I hope there are rules for modding and using various crystals in sabers. I don;t want anything getting out of hand but I like characters to get attached to their equipment (so I can take it away, just kidding).

We actually discussed this for a while in the equipment thread, I believe, and we couldn't figure it out either. But from my understanding, here goes!

" Is the process you buy an attachment and then you can do the mods on your own by paying and rolling? "

You buy or modify by yourself the "base modifications." Some attachments list a cost—for buying the attachment—while some havs a mechanics check listed—for doing it yourself. All mod options are done by you or your crew, with a hard mechanics check for the first mod, +1 purple die for each additional mod.

" What exactly is "0-2 Damage +1 Mods"? Can I get 2 (1-2) or 3 (0-2) total damage mods? The zero is throwing me. Is there a difference between Damage and Damage 1? "

This is the part I don't know about, so keep in mind I'm just guessing. I assume you can mod up to +2 in damage for the weapon. For example, the Bowcaster Accelerator Enhancement gives a +1 damage. You can increase that by an additional 2, for a total of +3 damage. However, that costs 250CR for the base, with a [P][P] mechanics check. Next, it costs an additional 200CR (100CR base per mod, with two mods) and a [P][P][P][P] mechanics check to add the two damage mods.

" Does the same mod have to be done incrementally? Can I just pay and roll one time to get straight to 2 Damage mods or do I have to do the first one and then the second one? "

100CR and +[P] for each mod, nothing says it has to be done one at a time. As with my example above, I'd let someone make a 4 purple-die mechanics check to add +2 damage at one go if they want to.

" Did anyone see anything on paying to have mods done for you? "

Some attachments have a cost, which is how much it costs to buy it. If there's a mechanics check listed, you can do it yourself for the low price of the mechanics check.

Again, the above is just my understanding, not necessarily how the rules work.

-EF

usgrandprix said:

I think you got the gist of it: Buy attachment, attach attachment. Occassionally, there are rolls or restriction or alternatives to how the mod is applied, exactly (see individual descriptions).

"Mods" are modifications to attachments. As far as I can see, they require no hard points. they do require money, tools, and mechanics checks. The modifications you make to an attachment, the harder it becomes to additional modifications

usgrandprix said:

What exactly is "0-2 Damage +1 Mods"?

As I read the rules "0-2" refers to the number of times you can attempt to install the mod, because the description says you may not attempt to install a mod again if you fail the initial roll.

For example: Dak the smuggler wants to add the +1 damage mod to the blaster actuating module attachment on his heavy blaster pistol. The attachment says "0-2 Damage +1 mods". He rolls his hard mechanics check and gets 2 net successes and 1 threat. He has successful installed the augment, it just took him a little longer. Now, he wants to try and apply the modification again, for moar power! /gruntgruntgrunt He gets his tools, parts, and attempts a Daunting mechanics check. He gets net 3 failures, and who cares what else (no Despairs). He does not get the benefit of the second +1 damage mod (first one still works, though), He losses the cost of the components (he screwed them up) and he may not attempt to install any more +1 damage mods on this attachment, since he has made the maximum number of attempts. He may still later attempt to install the Pierce +2 mod with the appropriate purchase of parts and a Daunting check (the mechanics check would be the same, because I think the text only refers to the number of previous modifications to the attachment).

I admit, I had to go back and re-read the section on it. But that's it.

Re: 'Saber modifications… Probably best left for Force and Destiny. I'd expect it to use a similar system, but as has been said many many times, it's beyond the scope of this corebook.

-WJL

Crap, EF ninja'd me.

I would say that do need to be done incrementally.

As far as paying someone else to do it for you, I'd say arrange it with your GM; I don't see a "paying for services" section, but it would absolutely be appropriate for the setting. It should be tiered by the difficulty of the check.

-WJL

Thanks a bunch both of you. I think I have it but I think it needs tightening up. I like the gist of it and the risk/reward of money and rolls. A few of the terms should be more clear IMHO.

I should clarify my OP, I don't think they should add saber mod rules to EotE. I was just talking about rules down the road.