command Lead by example

By ctol78, in Runewars

I have a question about that comand:

it says: "Once during a battle, when one of your units is dealt damage, you may choose to deal one or all of that damage to this commander instead, regardless of whether any units or commanders have already been damaged. Any remaining damage is applied normally."

So, if I'm doing 7 hitpoints of damage with my Fate cards to an Elf who has several units with only 1 or 2 hitpoints can the ennemy Commander deal 4 hitpoint or, as the text say: "when ONE of your units is dealt damage" can the ennemy commander only deal damage equal to the maximum hitpoints of the ONE unit who deal damage (2 HP in that event) ???

I think in that situation, you can continue doing damage to the Commander until you want to stop or the commander dies. Each damage you WOULD have applied to the unit is applied to the commander, meaning the original unit is undamaged and could be applied more damage.

I made a mistake in my entry

sigmazero13 said:

I think in that situation, you can continue doing damage to the Commander until you want to stop or the commander dies. Each damage you WOULD have applied to the unit is applied to the commander, meaning the original unit is undamaged and could be applied more damage.

Thank you Sigmazero for helping us to solve this rule point.

page 22 of the rules it's writed: "For each point of damage that a player’s units are dealt, he takes one damage token and assigns it to (places it next to) one of his participating units. Damage tokens are assigned one at a time."

then, if "each damage you WOULD have applied to the unit is applied to the commander," as damage are deal one at a time that mean that you use more than once by battle your commander capacity. Or he can use it only once…

Damage is assigned one at a time simply to make sure that once a unit is dealt damage, future damage is applied to that unit first; IE, if it were "simultaneous" one could try and assign the 7 damage to 7 different units.

However, the damage is still essentially all being dealt at once, so the Commander card you mention would allow the Commander to absorb as much damage as needed.

On the other hand, based on the wording of the card, it could be that you treat it as if you assigned the damage to that unit, but then place the actual damage on the Commander instead, meaning the "limit" is the health of the unit.

I'll submit this to Corey to see if I can find out details.

Thank you Sigmazero

We have discussed with my friends on this rule and there is simply that there is an ambiguity in the text of the card.

The text uses the present tense: "when one of your units is Dealt damage" but it also say that the commander can deal all damage suffered by the unit. Or damage tokens are assigned one by one. So either the Commander decides in advance for taking all the damage that will be assigned to a unit (within his own life points), or he decides to deal all the damages that has already been assigned to a unit (still within its own life points).

But we are French and maybe our english is not good enough. ;)

I got a response from Corey. I'm not going to copy/paste the exact thing since I hate the copy/paste mechanism on this forum (it's a pain in the rear).

The gist of it was that the Lead by Example card only lets the Commander absorb as much damage as the unit would have been able to take had the Commander not been there; any additional damage would then start applying to the units as normal.

So if you had an undamaged Chaos Lord, for instance, and you were dealt 5 damage, you could use the card to let the Commander take 4 damage, and then the last damage would have to go to a unit. If you had a Chaos Lord with 2 hits already, the Commander could absorb 2 hits, but then future hits would have to apply to the Chaos Lord (which, in this case, would kill it, and leave 1 damage that would be applied to another unit).

sigmazero13 said:

I got a response from Corey. I'm not going to copy/paste the exact thing since I hate the copy/paste mechanism on this forum (it's a pain in the rear).

I'm not sure if you noticed, but sometime around Christmas/New Years they changed the forum software so it no longer opens that stupid pop up window when you try to paste something. It just copies straight into the post now. Just FYI.

sigmazero13 said:

The gist of it was that the Lead by Example card only lets the Commander absorb as much damage as the unit would have been able to take had the Commander not been there; any additional damage would then start applying to the units as normal.

Good to know. Not how I would have thought it worked, personally.

Steve-O said:

sigmazero13 said:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but sometime around Christmas/New Years they changed the forum software so it no longer opens that stupid pop up window when you try to paste something. It just copies straight into the post now. Just FYI.

Hmm, good to know :) Maybe I'll give it a try!

Steve-O said:

sigmazero13 said:

Good to know. Not how I would have thought it worked, personally.

What was your thought on how it worked, just out of curiosity?