Direct Hit

By El_Tonio, in X-Wing Rules Questions

The card reads: "This card counts as two damage against your hull."

So, does this ignore shields?

If so (that is, if you ignore shields), it is possible you might destroy and already damaged ship even though it has full shields, correct?

For example, if a rebel ship only has one or two hull left, and R2-D2 has repaired it's shields to full (or even 1 or 2), drawing this card as a critical hit would still destroy the ship.

El_Tonio said:

The card reads: "This card counts as two damage against your hull."

So, does this ignore shields?

If so (that is, if you ignore shields), it is possible you might destroy and already damaged ship even though it has full shields, correct?

For example, if a rebel ship only has one or two hull left, and R2-D2 has repaired it's shields to full (or even 1 or 2), drawing this card as a critical hit would still destroy the ship.

It just means, if your X-Wing; for example, has "full (2) shields" courtesy of R2's repairs, you lose both shields, and you're down to any remaining hull points you have remaining.

Could be… Do others have thoughts on this?

Because it is a text effect that specifically says "two damage against your hull" rather than just "two damage" I am not 100% sure. Seems like it could be specifying hull for a reason, no? That is, since we no card text takes precedence over standard rules.

I believe, the only way you could receive this card is if you already lost all your shields. There is no reason, I can think of, to flip the damage card, unless you already took a crit hit on your hull. Which means your shields are already gone.

I see… You don't even go to the damage deck until all shields are gone.

I missed that on the example on p. 14-15. On second glance, it is clear that both hits and critical hits each reduce shields by one (and that you only draw a card when shields are gone). Thanks for pointing this out.

As every one pointed out, this damage always goes against hull, since you can't take a crit if you still have shields. Now if you have R2 D2 it is possible to recover your shields, but you cannot rewcover lost hull points.

Actually, there is a way of regaining lost Hull point by repairing non-crit hits with R5-D8 :D

Then you won't be able to repair your shields since you cannot take both droids at the same time

Shanturin said:

Actually, there is a way of regaining lost Hull point by repairing non-crit hits with R5-D8 :D

According to R2-D2's card: " After executing a green maneuver, you may recover 1 shield (up to your shield value). ", not hull points. So if you happen to take any hull damage before you manage to repair your shields, the hull damage remains at it's current level.

. . . Whoops! I misread the post. Sorry.

I read that as damage against the hull, ignoring shields. Otherwise, why bother to phrase it "against your hull"?

Well, how can Direct Hit ignore shields since you can't deal facup damage card (or any damage card) to the ship until its shields are down? :P

Shanturin said:

Well, how can Direct Hit ignore shields since you can't deal facup damage card (or any damage card) to the ship until its shields are down? :P

Actually, as I got to thinking about it, nevermind. I was actually coming back here to reply to my own post that shields cancel hull damage.