Determination

By VerdatPagan, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Just for clarification, the upgrade card Determination states when you are dealt a face up damage card (a crit) with the Pilot keyword, it is discarded immediately without being resolved.

Based on what we saw prior to release, I had assumed that the ability just allowed you to turn Pilot crits into regular hits. However, with the term "Discarded" in the card text, it now seems to me that the entire crit, including the damage, is ignored. Am I correct in this interpretation?

You are correct! The whole card is discarded and you take no damage from it.

Roy

8/33 cards are pilot damage cards. So you have nearly 25% chance of voiding all damage IF you get crit . However, Determination only costs 1 point. On the other hand, only a limited number of imperial pilots can even take upgrades.

Speaking of this card…

What card trumps the other?

Determination or Injured Pilot?

The wording on the Determination card makes this pretty obvious, at least to me. Determination states that as soon you are dealt a faceup Pilot damage card "discard it immediately without resolving its effect." The key words here are immediately and without resolving its effect . The word immediately means immediately as in as soon as the card is flipped and you see the word Pilot at the top… and if you do this without resolving its effect then how can the card trump it using its effect if it is discarded immediately without resolving its effect. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Why does everyone call Critical hits crits? I understand it's shorter, but it just sounds… odd.

herozeromes said:

Why does everyone call Critical hits crits? I understand it's shorter, but it just sounds… odd.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

herozeromes said:

Now that I see it written out, crit makes perfect sense! I always thought it was "crip". Since none of the people I play games with are gang members, I thought people were taking the term critical hit, and reckoning it as crippling hit, and then abbreviating to crip, which sounded extra brutal, but didn't make any sense. Crit. Nice. ;)