Tank Fight at Prokhorovka… an easy German victory!

By RayGuns, in Tide of Iron

We played the "Tank Fight at Prokhorovka" scenario three times last weekend, and we discovered a major flaw in the scenario in that the Germans can almost always win if play it right. In fact, two very good players worked together as Russians played against one German player, and the German player still won easily. How? Basically, the trick for the Germans is to get one VP more than the Russian player. Once the German player achieves a VP advantage, the Germans pull back to good defensive positions and forces the Russians to come to them. When that happens, the Russians tend to get the short end of the stick.

To make a long story short, we think the victory conditions should be altered to reflect the need for the Germans to keep advancing.

This hasn't been test played yet , but the victory conditions we came up with, and we think might work better would be simply this:

Russians get 1VP for each German Tank destroyed.
Germans get 1VP for each MkIV and 3VP for each Tiger that exits.

Needless to say, the Tigers still draw attention as before, but with different results. Again, this has not been tested, but seems more interesting than the original victory conditions because now the only way for the Germans to get VPs is to keep advancing.

Game Note:
We played this a few times using the Ground Support Deck I, but I think it seems to make more sense if it were the "Combined Air Support Deck I". Need an official ruling about this typo in the scenario.

We found the same issue with the scenario when we played (so time ago now)

Once the Germans had 1 more VP they just had to sit the tigers in the forest hexes, and they were almost untouchable. The russians had to advance on them which was pretty much suicide for them.

But if like you said the Germnas had to exit off the board then things would get a little more interesting as the russians could wait and get in close, this would help with the game coming down to the wire.

I haven't played all teh FOTB scenarios yet, but I have played the first five, and I can say that as a whole, they have been a bit of a let down. Especially since most of them have been one sided. However, a few can be easily corrected as I have mentioned in earlier posts.

Yea corrections can be made for some of the scenarios, but these too would require some play testing. If FFG wanted me to play test their scenarios, then they should hae sent me FotB for free. I still cant believe a company like FFG would sell something of such poor quality. To me FotB was released in its play testing and unedited phase. Very Poor