Large scale strategic fantasy?

By KarmanMonkey, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

My "game I'd love to see" is something along the same lines as the PC games "Masters of Magic" or "Age of Wonders", where it's different players, each playing their own race, conquering cities, using those cities to produce more troops, all the while casting spells to beef them up or change the entire landscape.

Seeing "Small World" on the horizon for Days of Wonder got me thinking along these lines; that I'd love to see a game that's less abstract. Ideally I'd love to see the ability for players to research new spells for their arsenal, as well as a system similar to Titan where battles take place on a tactical level on a separate board.

Tall order, but I think FFG has some talented people working for them.

There's already a game of the likes you describe: It's called Starcraft- The Board Game, especially with the Brood Wars expansion.

Cheers.

a) Though it's a fine distinction sometimes, Starcraft is sci-fi, not fantasy ;-)

b) Starcraft has a rather abstract means of combat resolution. Part of my idea/wish was for a game that had a tactical level map based on the terrain in which the battle takes place, and the units move around on that map and attack each other, cast spells, etc.

The Starcraft bg does have a lot going for it, but I'd like a game with a less abstract combat system.

I would like to see a Battle System version right out of the D20 (3rd Ed) game mechanic -- mayhap a team-up with Paizo??

By "Large Scale strategic fantasy" I do mean a War Game!

Large-scale strategic fantasy ...

... Age of Conan?

No siree,

Like Battle System (old TSR one).

An actual wargame where you have to whip out your tape measures, keep track of stats for each chit, etc. The battle elements would have to be more complex than Risk, Axis/Allies, or even Squad Leader.

...although, the complexity of Squad Leader might actually cut it!

LordBoBo said:

An actual wargame where you have to whip out your tape measures, keep track of stats for each chit, etc. The battle elements would have to be more complex than Risk, Axis/Allies, or even Squad Leader.

Ugh.

That sounds like work, not play. Have fun with that.

Osaka, There IS Battlelore from FFG... Personally, I like wargames covering much bigger areas - but THAT might just 'fill yer bill'.

I have played battlelore, and I do thoroughly enjoy it, but I guess I'm looking for something that has both scales to it... For example, something like Age of Conan or Starcraft in terms of building and managing armies, then something along the lines of Battlelore to resolve the battles. That being said, I'd want something a bit quicker than Battlelore so there isn't a significant stall in the game for uninvolved players.