Triumph & Crits

By Inksplat, in Game Mechanics

Is it actually stated anywhere in the book that a Triumph can activate the Crit of any weapon? I can't seem to find it, but I was ruling it could.

Seems like it should, as you are supposed to be able to do awesome things with it, but I was just wondering if I'm missing somewhere that it says either for sure it can or can't be used, and I just can't find it.

Page 132. Second column, fourth paragraph.

"In addition to always counting as an additional success, a triumph can be spent to activate these abilities as well. A triumph may be spent to inflict one Critical Hit (no matter what the Critial Raging on the weapon is). Alternatively, a triumph may be spent to activate one weapon quality, no matter how may advantage it would normally take to do so."

happy.gif

Inksplat said:

Is it actually stated anywhere in the book that a Triumph can activate the Crit of any weapon? I can't seem to find it, but I was ruling it could.

Seems like it should, as you are supposed to be able to do awesome things with it, but I was just wondering if I'm missing somewhere that it says either for sure it can or can't be used, and I just can't find it.

Inksplat said:

Page 132, Second paragraph in "Step 4: Resolve Advantage & Triumphs":

"The first and foremost way to spend [Adv] and [Tri] in an attack is to activate critical hits or activate weapon qualities."

In paragraph 4 of the same section:

"A [Tri] may be spent to inflict one Critical Hit (No matter what the Critical Rating on the weapon is)."

-WJL

Thanks! I knew it had to be there, but I could not find it for the life of me.

But to activate the crit the player still needs to be successful with the hit. So, if net failures exceeds successes, then you can't activate a critical hit.

Building upon that, is it possible with two triumphs to crit more than once on an attack? my gut reaction says no, but I couldn't find anything within the confines of the book that explicitly states it one way or the other.

Chrislee66 said:

Building upon that, is it possible with two triumphs to crit more than once on an attack? my gut reaction says no, but I couldn't find anything within the confines of the book that explicitly states it one way or the other.

I'd say it'd fall under the heading of common sense that you can only score a single critical hit per attack roll, otherwise lightsabers and distruptor weapons become truly broketastic given the low Advantage cost of triggering a critical hit.

Probably something that should be clarified under critical hits, with a sentence simply citing that you can only inflict one critical hit per attack.

If you look at page 108 the rule for one critical injury per hit is already stated. Also, you will see that if a roll generates enough advantage to trigger multiple ctiritical injuries then you add +10 to the critical injury roll for each crit beyond the first.