Noob question: what is X value?

By DIVM, in CoC General Discussion

Sorry guy, but I just received my Core game (2 AP are on their way :) and I couldn´t figure out what means X value in some cards (is this like a random value or 10…?). I bet it must be a stupid question, but I feel a bit lost about it.

Besides it, very straightforward gameplay and lost of fun. I´d like more thrilling stories though.

Thanks alot.

The meaning of X is printed on each card - it's not a constant thing.

For instance, look at this card:

med_gallery_38_386462.jpg

In this instance, X is the cost of the card you want to target for destruction. For another card, it's something else. Most commonly though X is the cost of something, the skill of a character, or maybe a number of cards to do something to. It'll say on each card.

If there's a specific card or cards you can't figure out, post and let us know which ones they are and we can help explain them.

For stories, there are additional story cards in the Secrets of Arkham expansion and The Shifting Sands asylum pack.

Thanks alot dboeren, that really clarified my doubt!

About the AP, I bought Shifting Sands (I really want more stories, and hopefully more interesting) and Whispers in the Dark (which seemed like a nice addition based on the info provided by Shangfu in his ¨AP cycle info¨ post). Any other recommendation on what to get next is more than welcomed.

This is my first FFG, and Im looking forward on getting another games, be it Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, LotR LCG, and many others….

By the way, I´d love a LCG based on Conan´s universe, that´d rock.

Again, thank you very much!

Cheers

Welcome, DIVM! For next purchases, I would definitely consider Secrets of Arkham, which will really open up deck-building possibilities - it has a good distribution of strong cards for all six of the basic factions. Beyond that, the Yuggoth Cycle is a good place to start - again, a good distribution of relatively strong cards for the six basic factions, and you already have the first pack (Whispers in the Dark) for that cycle.

Just a note, one of the deluxe expansions adds a new faction - Order of the Silver Twilight - and the expansion packs beyond it all include cards for it. If you don't yet havethat expansion, those cards won't be particularly useful. Even so, I really like the last couple of cycles, including Ancient Relics (you have the first one of that, The Shifting Sands) and Revelations, both of which have some very important, game-changing cards.

I would be cautious about picking up any cards from the Dreamlands cycle - that cycle was printed under an older card distribution format, where you don't get three of each card, which can be annoying. Also, it's out of print and not easy to find, although there is a chance it may be reprinted (hopefully with the new 3x format). If you're a determined collector, you can still find Dreamlands cycle packs out there, but I would put them at the bottom of the list for priorities.