Target lock

By lsuedd2, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Say I lock target on turn one and then keep it locked.

The next turn the same x-wing does a red maneuver. Can it use the lock after the red maneuver? Or do you have to wait to do a green one?

Only acquiring a target lock is an action, and having a stress token prevents you from using actions. Further, spending the target lock is in the combat phase, and is not an action. Therefore, its pretty clear that you can still use your previously acquired target lock with a stress token on your ship.

sverigesson said:

Only acquiring a target lock is an action, and having a stress token prevents you from using actions. Further, spending the target lock is in the combat phase, and is not an action. Therefore, its pretty clear that you can still use your previously acquired target lock with a stress token on your ship.

Yep.

I would agree as well.

One more question. On turn one I use an action to acquire a target lock. On turn two can I use another action for something, say focus? I believe I can just confirming that.

Yes you can. In fact that is probably one of the best combinations for using Proton Torpedoes.

Roy

X-Wings can actually do a 1 speed straight maneuver (ties can't). This can be useful because you really want to get a target lock and focus (which takes 2 turns) before firing off torpedoes. You want to be outside of range 1, and ideally you want to be at max range when using torps. The speed 1 straight move is a way of stalling out the distance closure.

Another trick is using a 4 speed koiogran turn. This will often get you a nice long range torp shot on a locked and focused tie as well.

Its all about timing the distance.

Daveydavedave said:

Another trick is using a 4 speed koiogran turn. This will often get you a nice long range torp shot on a locked and focused tie as well.

Except that you would not be able to focus after the Koiogran turn. It is a red manuver and would give you a stress token, preventing a focus action. Of coure you could get a focus token other ways, like from Red leader.

Thanks,

Duncan

Correct. Koiogran followed by a 1 speed straight or slight turn could get you set for a nice long shot. The key is getting distance when you fly past the ties.

If you do a 4 straight move followed by a koiogran when you are already past the ties, then you can guarantee being out of range 3. This gives you time for a short green move and a focus action. The distance also makes your arc that much wider and harder for ties to escape.

I didn't even think about getting focus via another pilots special ability, that is even better.

Generally it seems that X-Wings like to create distance and Ties are always interested in the short range game. This is because going head on for a turn or two is great for X-Wings with shields, and target locks, and not ideal for ties because often times barrel roll isn't enough to get you out of arc at longer ranges.

While on the subject. I love how X-Wings can take straight 1 speed maneuvers and Ties can't. You can do the Top Gun stall move and watch the ties blow past you right into your front arc at close range.

Daveydavedave said:

While on the subject. I love how X-Wings can take straight 1 speed maneuvers and Ties can't. You can do the Top Gun stall move and watch the ties blow past you right into your front arc at close range.

This is pretty neat. Take care the TIES don't box you in and force you into a movement overlap. ;)

Why is farther better when using target lock? If you're using your primarys, the target gets an extra evade. If you're using torps it shouldn't make a difference (unless you're considering return fire). What am I missing?

Proton Torpedoes can only be fired at Range 2 or 3. That's the only logic I see.

Roy, Owner of A Few Maneuvers - Your X-wing Miniatures Site afewmaneuvers.yuku.com

From what I gather, there are a couple of reasons that longer ranges are 'better' for rebels.

1) Tie fighters are more maneuverable than X-wings. Therefore, maneuvering in close gives an advantage to the Ties

2) Tie fighters only have 2 attack dice and x-wings only have 2 defense dice. If a Tie gets in Range 1, they are now rolling 3 attack dice, giving them significantly increased power on the attack. Combined with #1 and their increased numbers, and it can be dangerous.

3) Shooting primary weapons at range 3 at a Tie is difficult, with 3 attack dice vs 4 defense dice. Torps at range 3, however, are 4 attack dice vs 3 defense dice. Those are much better odds. It is always good to get in first blood, as it gives you an advantage. Especially against Ties that have no shields, so every hit goes to hull, and a critical in the first round or two can have a significant impact on the rest of the game.