What terrain would you like to see?

By Tyrichter, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Because i got a little tired of the basic terrain I thought about some features I´m probably gonna make for my game ;) Here are my ideas:

- Hedgerows: Blocks line of sight, provides no cover, passible by all types of units. Can be destroyed by a single flamethrower attack. Tanks destroy it by stepping on the same square.

- Craters: Soft cover, cannot be destroyed.

- Bunkers: Machineguns, howitzers, superior reactive fire. I saw some fan-made, and i think it´s great addition to the game.

- Mortar infantry: Works like artillery, just smaller damage.

Well, that´s all from me now, comment and post your other ideas, if any. Thanks.

Bunkers should be hard cover plus damage resilient and no CC attacks except at the entrance. It's very hard to deal with a pillbox unless you can get close enough to throw some grenades inside or hit it with a flamethower.

High grass / bushes would be like a permanent smoke effect. Setting them on fire would just make them impassable. They wouldn't burn out fast enough for the game to be over and the smoke would block LOS just like…smoke.

If the hedgerows you are thinking of are the one in Europe, they're not just bushes. They are piles of rock that the farmers pulled out while plowing and put along the edges of the fields. Some of them were taller than a man and quite difficult for vehicles to cross. I would treat them like tanktraps that non-jump units need 2mp's to cross.

mud bog / loose sand / deep snow - double movement cost for non-jump units, no effects on LOS.

Mortars would be good if they had a "carriage effect". You must spend 1mp to deploy the weapon before it can be used. The same rule would apply to towed weapons, tripod weapons like the british water-cooled MG, etc.

I would like to see items like this:

photo-1.jpg photo5-1.jpg

pak402.jpg

The bunkers i meant would be treated like separate unit. They would had their own cards, stats, everything. And i believe that infantry wasnt allowed to enter. Search through some photos on boardgamegeek to see what I mean ;)

The big guns on the photos are great, i think FFG should add some in the future. As a matter of fact, they sorta did with the 3 squad Heavy Antitank Grenadiers. I hope they will make more units like this.

And one more thing - is there any map which has grass as a surface? I think I haven´t seen any yet.

Terrain
V.K. Ore:

Small ore is equal to a tank trap.

Large Ore is equal to an impassable terrain.

Forest Tiles:

1. Blocks Line Of Sight, except for a unit occupying the space.

2. Units adjacent to a forest tile may see and engage a unit in the forest tile.

3. Once a unit attacks from a forest tile it may be seen and attacked normally. (The unit's weapons fire has given its position to the enemy.)

4. Blocks Vehicle Movement
5. No Cover Elements may be placed on this tile

6. Provides Soft Cover for Infantry Units.

7. Dozer blades may remove one tile of forest terrain per movement action used.

*8. Forests may not set on fire flame throwers or any other weapons.

*For those that must Kill Trees, the alternate forest fire rules.

1. Phasers, Lasers, Flamethrowers, and Molotov Cocktails, may start forest fires.

2. A fire is considered to have started whenever one of the above weapons is used
on a forest tile or on the models in it.

3. A unit occupying the forest tile must move out of it during its next activation or suffer 1+ hit per model in the unit.

4. At the begging of each turn roll 1 dice for every forest tile that is adjacent to the forest fire tile. If a hit is rolled the fire has spread to this adjacent tile.

5. Once a forest tile is on fire it is considered to be an impassable terrain marker for the rest of the game.

6. The fire may not be put out.

Obstacles

Jersey Barriers functions the same as tank traps.

Barbed Wire Stats: Infantry-3, Wounds-3, Damage Resistant.

Bunkers give any unit inside of them hard covers and damage resistance. If the unit already has damage resistance then the unit may save on blanks with its damage resistance roll. Bunker otherwise function like building for all other game purposes.

Tyrichter said:

The bunkers i meant would be treated like separate unit. They would had their own cards, stats, everything. And i believe that infantry wasnt allowed to enter. Search through some photos on boardgamegeek to see what I mean ;)

So they would just be a vehicle unit with no movement after deployment.

Move 0 with "scout" or "scoutX2"

- Forest should give some more cover to snipers, though.

- And yes, those bunkers were like separate units without ability to move, for some defensive scenarios.

- VK Ore is a great idea. I think it calls for creating new kinds of scenarios, like "Collect the ore" - who stands on the spot with the ore, gets 1 point each round. Who collects more at the end of round 8, wins.

Oh, and one more thing:

- Trenches - Unit in the trench gets hard cover. If there is an enemy unit in the same trench, no cover for both units.

Tyrichter said:

Oh, and one more thing:

- Trenches - Unit in the trench gets hard cover. If there is an enemy unit in the same trench, no cover for both units.

What effect would it have on movement? 1mp for infantry to climb in or out? Walker could step right over?

fhaugh said:

Tyrichter said:

Oh, and one more thing:

What effect would it have on movement? 1mp for infantry to climb in or out? Walker could step right over?

I have a huge board for at43 with trench systems and have used the rule of 1mv to get in or out of as well as a -1 when attacked so it would be like hard cover. For vehicles it they were large enough they could cross over without a penalty. If they were to small they had to cross by other means.

Well, I guess, jumping INTO trench should cost 0 mp, but getting outside at least 1 mp. Like in real life - no effort to jump in, more effort to get out.

The tanks in war were able to get across trenches easily, so in Dust they should just walk/roll across without any penalties.

Tyrichter said:

Well, I guess, jumping INTO trench should cost 0 mp, but getting outside at least 1 mp. Like in real life - no effort to jump in, more effort to get out.

The tanks in war were able to get across trenches easily, so in Dust they should just walk/roll across without any penalties.

In regards to the 1mvp to get into a trench i used that as it allow for jumping in and then setting up to fire. 0mvp seemed inappropriate as one could jump in a trench and then fire immediately, realistically you would need time to re-establish yourself before firing.

mgentile7 said:

Tyrichter said:

In regards to the 1mvp to get into a trench i used that as it allow for jumping in and then setting up to fire. 0mvp seemed inappropriate as one could jump in a trench and then fire immediately, realistically you would need time to re-establish yourself before firing.

Well, makes sense.

i also thought about implementing a landmines for defensive scenarios. The mine as a separate "unit" - with its own card and stats, but no model. Defender would just wrote down position and showed them only if the attacker´s unit would step on it. But that would require kinda Battleship board, though, with rows marked by numbers and letters. Or a map of the area. Well, I guess, maybe its just not a good idea :)

Tyrichter said:

mgentile7 said:

Tyrichter said:

Well, makes sense.

i also thought about implementing a landmines for defensive scenarios. The mine as a separate "unit" - with its own card and stats, but no model. Defender would just wrote down position and showed them only if the attacker´s unit would step on it. But that would require kinda Battleship board, though, with rows marked by numbers and letters. Or a map of the area. Well, I guess, maybe its just not a good idea :)

AT43 had landmine cards you could lay out. Any unit walking over them set them off. They had specific damage rolls, etc. You could also make your own terrain as well just stick to the appropriate sizes.

Here is my terrain for the RAT WAR:

sewer3_zps8574ef16.jpg sewer1.jpg sewer2.jpg sewer3.jpg

Looks really cool. Nice job!

Wow that's awsome, very nine!

Thanks guys. Working hard to expand it before the news rules come out.