First game - Some questions

By leepurslow, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Hello peeps.

Last night I was fortunate enough to have my first few Netrunner games, and rather unsurprisingly a few rules questions popped up that I'm hoping you can solve. The answers are probably really obvious, so I am looking for guidance and clarification, thanks!

1.) If Djinn I have a Djinn in play, and somehow it is removed, do I lose any programs that are installed on it. I presume I do?

2.)If my chosen runner is Noise and I install a virus I get to trash the top card of the corp's R and D. Would that be face-up or face-down to the Archives?

3.)Wyldside - So I effectively draw 3 cards at the beginning of my turn (1 natural and 2 from Wyldside)?#

4.) Cell Portal. If this is the out-most piece of Ice and I encounter it, and fail to break it's subroutine it unrezzes and I encounter it again right? Therefore it does little if placed far away from the server. Am I correct in assuming this should almost always be placed next to the server as the last piece of ice to be encountered?

5.) Shipment from Mirrormorph - I can install 3 cards, ignoring all 'click' costs but paying other costs? What other costs? I assumed that the corp installs cards for nothing other than a click? Is this for cards in the future or have I mis-understood how to install cards.

Thanks, and I'm sure there will be more.

Appreciate the help.

Osiris said:

Hello peeps.

Last night I was fortunate enough to have my first few Netrunner games, and rather unsurprisingly a few rules questions popped up that I'm hoping you can solve. The answers are probably really obvious, so I am looking for guidance and clarification, thanks!

1.) If Djinn I have a Djinn in play, and somehow it is removed, do I lose any programs that are installed on it. I presume I do?

2.)If my chosen runner is Noise and I install a virus I get to trash the top card of the corp's R and D. Would that be face-up or face-down to the Archives?

3.)Wyldside - So I effectively draw 3 cards at the beginning of my turn (1 natural and 2 from Wyldside)?#

4.) Cell Portal. If this is the out-most piece of Ice and I encounter it, and fail to break it's subroutine it unrezzes and I encounter it again right? Therefore it does little if placed far away from the server. Am I correct in assuming this should almost always be placed next to the server as the last piece of ice to be encountered?

5.) Shipment from Mirrormorph - I can install 3 cards, ignoring all 'click' costs but paying other costs? What other costs? I assumed that the corp installs cards for nothing other than a click? Is this for cards in the future or have I mis-understood how to install cards.

Thanks, and I'm sure there will be more.

Appreciate the help.

1.) I believe you lose them. I want to say I saw something about not being able to rearrange your resources unless a card effect allowed it, so I don't think you'd be able to transfer your programs from Djinn into your regular memory.

2.) As I understand it, anything trashed that the Runner hasn't seen, should go into Archives facedown.

3.) The Runner doesn't automatically draw at the start of the turn. It always has to come from spending a click. (Card effects notwithstanding, obviously.)

4.) It wouldn't be encountered twice unless the Corp player chose to rez it again. Otherwise you are correct in that it's more effective the later in the run it's encountered.

5.) I'm not aware of any Corp cards that come with an install cost, so I assume that's just a precaution against future cards.

Awesome dude. Although I had no idea that the runner doesn't auto draw! What a difference this will make! Thanks!

Further questions:

1.) If I make a run on HQ and access 'Snare!' I presume I can't trash it before it's effect's happen. It seems fairly obvious that I couldn't do that, but I just want to check

2.) Rabbit hole - Can I search for another one, but NOT install it (say I have no credits?)

Thanks for the assistance.

Osiris said:

Awesome dude. Although I had no idea that the runner doesn't auto draw! What a difference this will make! Thanks!

Further questions:

1.) If I make a run on HQ and access 'Snare!' I presume I can't trash it before it's effect's happen. It seems fairly obvious that I couldn't do that, but I just want to check

2.) Rabbit hole - Can I search for another one, but NOT install it (say I have no credits?)

Thanks for the assistance.

1.) Correct. Snare! forces you to reveal it to the Corp player, so they'll have the opportunity to pay to activate it.

"If Snare! is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it."

2.) I don't think you'd get to keep it. The card doesn't say that it stays in your Grip if you don't install it, so I assume it would go back to the Stack.

"When Rabbit Hole is installed, you may search your stack for another copy of Rabbit Hole and install it by paying its install cost. Shuffle your stack."

Osiris said:

1) Yes. Hosted cards are trashed with the host. [see "Hosting" - Rule Book pg. 22]

2) Face-down. Although there is no exact rule for this, I would expect it to operate similar to the general rule for trashing cards from HQ. [see "3. Discard Phase" - Rule Book pg. 14]. As an addendum to this, cards from HQ or R&D would go into the Archives face-up if they were trashed during the Access Phase of a run. [see "Trashing Cards" - Rule Book pg. 18]

3) No. Runners do not normally draw a card at the start of turn. [see "Runner's Turn" - Rule Book pg. 15] Also, once Wyldside is out you cannot decline to draw these cards.

4) Generally yes. There may be specific cases where you may want it further out, but that's more of a strategic thought-experiment than a rule discussion so I'm just going to skip it.

5) The Corp must pay credits for any ice after the first that is installed in a server. [see "Installing Cards" -> "Ice" - Rule Book pg. 13] As an example, if you used Mirrormorph to install a third piece of ice on a server, you would still need to pay 2 credits.

Osiris said:

1) You are correct.

2) I'm going to go with no here. Rabbit Hole reads " you may search your stack for another copy of Rabbit Hole and install it by paying its install cost" . I would think of it more likeā€¦if you pre-pay the install cost of another Rabbit Hole you can then search for and install it.

Very nice thank you.

Also good point about paying for the ICE installed in front of other ICE, I didn't consider the credit costs there, so your answer will help, thanks.

DefconX said:

5) The Corp must pay credits for any ice after the first that is installed in a server. e.g. If you used Mirrormorph to install a third piece of ice on a server, you would still need to pay 2 credits.

Oh, that's right! I forgot about the additional cost for installing extra Ice on a server.

Went and edited my original post to include relevant Rule Book sections and pages, in case anyone wanted to check where my answers came from.

Thanks dude, appreicated!