Frenzied attack, deadly accuracy, defensive driving …

By Jegergryte, in Talents and Specialization Trees

1) Right, so I can't find anything that specifically sounds like the wording of Frenzied attack. Mind you I have not studied every page of the book looking for it.

What I wonder is what "upgrade the ability of his combat check by that number" means. Upgrade an ability die to proficiency, or adding an ability die? or boost die? For me the wording is unclear on this, but please direct me to where this would be clarified in the book if you know.

2) "… basic training ranks" means the number of ranks the character has in the combat skill selected for the talent Deadly accuracy right? So if I selected it for my Range (light) in which I have 3 ranks, I would add 3 damage? or would I add the number of Deadly accuracy talents I have picked up?

3) Defensive driving. It basically increases the "shields" of my starship? To put it in such terms, I know that defence entails more than only shields.

4) Field commander (improved) the used of triumph is in addition to, or instead of, the manoeuvres?

5) Hidden Storage: basically it gives you a starship mod for free? (or something else of course). I could use it on my Ghtroc 720 and have a secret compartment to smuggle people or spice in?

6) Intense Focus: basically the same as with Frenzied attack. "Upgrade the ability of the skill check once" .

7) Let's Ride: If I'm in the lounge on my YT-1300 and we're attacked, I can, as an incidental move to the cockpit or turret? What if I'm on a much larger ship? (granted I am severely damaged from d20 games….)

There may be more I wonder about, but this list is more than long enough for now. Any insight is appreciated.

On Frenzied Attack, you're upgrading your ability dice, as per the notes in the Week 1 updates regarding upgrading ability and difficulty.

For Deadly Accuracy, it could be the word "basic" is a misnomer and should be removed. My read of it is that you add the skill ranks in your chosen combat skill to damage roll anytime you make an attack using that skill. So if you choose Brawl and had 3 ranks in that skill, you'd add 3 to the damage of any successful Brawl attacks you make.

On Defensive Driving, it sounds that way, but I'm not any kind of expert on vehicle combat, having not really read that chapter very throughly.

I think the Triumph usage in Improved Field Commander is instead of the maneuver, given the wording of "rather than" on page 93.

On Hidden Storage, the way the talent reads on page 94, yep, you get what amounts to a starship mod for "free", in that you're paying XP to buy the talent rather than credits to have said modification.

Similar to Frenzied Attack, in that you increase an abiity die to a proficiency die, again as per the Week 1 update.

For Let's Ride, that'd be correct as the talent is currently written; incidental action to go from the lounge to one of the gun turrets or to the cockpit. As for larger ships, I'd say that'd be up to the GM. It wouldn't make much sense to go from a crew lounge on the lower decks of a Star Destroyer all the way up to the bridge as an incidental.

Hope this helps.

1. Per the updates, upgrading means you change an ability die into a proficiency die. I'm not sure what it would mean in a pool where you were rolling nothing but proficiency dice though. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

2. You add your ranks in the combat skill. So you are correct.

3. To put it in such terms, not quite. Each rank of Defensive Driving increases your Defense rating on *all* of your defense zones.

4. Spending the triumph is quite clearly labeled as "rather than" by following the full text. It is worded very wierdly though.

5. Pretty much. Alternatively, you could keep a thermal detonator hidden in your astromech droid should you ever get into a really tight jam.

6. Same as number 1.

7. Yeah. If you're in a freighter that's exactly what it means. Look at the asteroid chase in Empire Strikes Back for great examples of this. Han's repairing the hyperdrive while Leia flies away from Imperial forces. Then they get nailed by an asteroid. Jump cut to Han in the cockpit taking the ship into the asteroid field.

If you're in a larger ship, I might argue for increasing the time all around - an action to move and a maneuver with this talent, but how often are your characters going to helming a capital ship in this game?

Thanks for replies. Clarified things.

@Cyril: From what I have read in a discussion elsewhere on these boards, if you roll only proficiency dice, you add an ability die when receiving such upgrades. Should be somewhere in the book I too suppose.

Jegergryte said:

Thanks for replies. Clarified things.

@Cyril: From what I have read in a discussion elsewhere on these boards, if you roll only proficiency dice, you add an ability die when receiving such upgrades. Should be somewhere in the book I too suppose.

Not sure if that's already covered in the first chapter or the Week 1 updates, but I know that was referenced somewhere in the book.

The upgrading and downgrading of ability and proficiency is explained in more detail in the errata, which means that although it's not entirely clear in the book now, it will be. But in answer to your question, upgrade the ability is the same as upgrade the difficulty. You exchange one ability die for a proficiency die. If you have nothing but proficiency dice, you add an ability die. If you then upgrade again, you exchange that new ability die for a proficiency die. And soforth. Hope that helps!

-Sam

FFG_Sam Stewart said:

The upgrading and downgrading of ability and proficiency is explained in more detail in the errata, which means that although it's not entirely clear in the book now, it will be. But in answer to your question, upgrade the ability is the same as upgrade the difficulty. You exchange one ability die for a proficiency die. If you have nothing but proficiency dice, you add an ability die. If you then upgrade again, you exchange that new ability die for a proficiency die. And soforth. Hope that helps!

-Sam

It certainly does. Thanks Sam. happy.gif

Yes thanks Sam, that clarifies it.