Dark Heresy = Rogue Trader

By Astral, in Rogue Trader

Pneumonica said:

Ahh, yes, the Chaos Tau, the world's greatest contradiction in terms.

"FOR THE LESSER GOOD!"

partido_risa.gif

Or maybe a new Tau caste - the Chaos Caste. They are noted for their mutations.

PGMason said:

As a guard person you will probably be familiar with Andy Hoare's work even if you don't realise it - he's one of the main authors of the current Imperial Guard codex, as well as Tactica Imperialis and qute a lot of Guard related stuff.

I don't play the minis as I mentioned elsewhere, a thousand dollars for models, books, paint, brushes... is a little much for ONE game in my opinion. I have been introduced to the lore through DH, DoW, Lexicum, and other places. I've also been introduced to the controversy behind "lore=mechanics" but that's another story.

PGMason said:

I'd really like ot see the involvement of the Tau in Rogue Trader. It's a shame the Calixis Sector is so far away from the Eastern Eringe.

Is it? I've always had trouble putting these places to the maps given on Lexicum.

Yes, the Tau Empire is right in the extreme Galactic East, right at the far edge of the Ultima Segmentum, while the Calixis Sector is in the Galactic West, near the Scarus Sector and not too far from the Eye of Terror.

I'm sure Kage is right though, and there's a way to work them into Calixis if necessary, although it does sound a bit too Star Trek: Voyager.

PGMason said:

Yes, the Tau Empire is right in the extreme Galactic East, right at the far edge of the Ultima Segmentum, while the Calixis Sector is in the Galactic West, near the Scarus Sector and not too far from the Eye of Terror.

I'm sure Kage is right though, and there's a way to work them into Calixis if necessary, although it does sound a bit too Star Trek: Voyager.

Well, there's ALWAYS a way, it just depends on how satisfactory it is with the rest of the lore. One of the Tau's allies (the new space dwarves I think) has FTL capabilities if I remember correctly but that still doesn't explain why they'd randomly want to take a jaunt across the galaxy light-years from home.

So Calixis is near the Western Rim. Well that would explain why the Tyranids have a entry in the DH monster manual.

PGMason said:

Well, my response would utilise one of the cliches of the 40k universe. Need a world to be separated from the Imperium for whatever reason? Hey, surround it in a warp storm. Need to get a ship to a point really quickly/slowly? The warp was acting weird. Need practically anything to happen in the 40k universe? Yup, you got it—the warp did it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

The warp is just 40k's magic bullet. But it's one of the things that we all love, though I would imagine to varying degrees. (Phil Sibbering really loves the warp as an explanatory mechanic!)

Anyway, just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean that it should... gran_risa.gif

Kage

Warpalicious. I blame it on the Warp all the time. It's a great GM tool for explaining your goof ups.

I really hope the two systems are similar enough that I can seemlessly integrate my DH campaign into RT. I already have RT players in my DH game...

The way I see it is, Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are just two parts of Warhammer 40k RPG. Hopefully, there will be more parts in the future.

For example: Why have a RT supplement book which details Orks and Eldar when you already have Creatures Anathema? I had theorized that some of the other species/Xenos weren't in CA because they would be detailed later in a RT supplement.

Why would you not want DH players to buy RT books? If it's all the same universe, then DH players would still want RT books to enrich their game and vice versa. That's my opinion anyway.

I know they are planning on two more installments for this game (Rogue Trader and Death Watch) but I would love to see more (Greater Good: All Tau RPG*, Choas: The Ruinous Powers RPG and especially Necromunda: RPG in the Underhive).

Especially would love to see Necromunda as a RPG setting or a Necromunda like RPG setting. I mean you can play that with existing rules, but honestly, you can play rogue traders with existing rules, once you have some space travel/conflict rules.

Peace

Peacekeeper_b said:

I know they are planning on two more installments for this game (Rogue Trader and Death Watch) but I would love to see more (Greater Good: All Tau RPG*, Choas: The Ruinous Powers RPG and especially Necromunda: RPG in the Underhive).

Especially would love to see Necromunda as a RPG setting or a Necromunda like RPG setting. I mean you can play that with existing rules, but honestly, you can play rogue traders with existing rules, once you have some space travel/conflict rules.

Peace

I would love a rulebook for playing Eldar. Their pathways seem perfect for the advancement system.

sorpresa.gif

I would prefer more supplements and less expensive new systems, but there we go. That's an old soap box of many.

Wilfred Owen said:

I would love a rulebook for playing Eldar. Their pathways seem perfect for the advancement system.

Actually, there's some debate about just that point on another forum. On the face of it kinda/maybe, but what about changing Paths? What happens then? Erm, but there we go. That's food for another discussion.

Kage

I heard that Rogue Trader is set in the Koronis Exspanse, anyone want to bet that it is near the Eastern fringe(Damocles Gulf)

I can Imagine that there will be supplaments to play as Tau and Eldar

Pius XIII said:

I heard that Rogue Trader is set in the Koronis Exspanse, anyone want to bet that it is near the Eastern fringe(Damocles Gulf)

All Ross is willing to say is that it is connected to the Calixis Sector in some unsual way, meaning that its probably "near" to the Calixis Sector without necessarily being right next door, but far enough away that we'll be exploring virgin frontier.

I don't know about you guys, but my players have a Black Ship and I'm more than willing to change names/planets/sectors/etc to whichever side of the galaxy I need them to be on if I want to use my Tau minis.

Just because all the printed material happens in "The Calixis Sector" shouldn't stop you from using whatever Xenos/phenomenon/plot devices you want. Neither should FFG use the excuse "there are no Tau in Calixis Sector" as an excuse for not printing up stats for them.

If you want Tau and you want to play in the Galactic East, then by all means change the name of Scintilla to Cunnilingus Majoris and have fun. Don't limit yourselves to other people's creativity.

In a WH40k tournament, you have rules. Minis have to have X amount of colors, you have to stick to the Army lists and PowerBoards and Temporal Distort no longer exist. In the RPG you DON'T have to stick to the "Rules". You want your dream IG Company that doesn't fit the list? Make up the background and use 'em. Don't have painted minis? Who cares. Minis are a bonus, not a requirement.

Want to re-introduce Temporal Distort? That, my friends, isn't just doable, it's an entire Adventure Plot in and of itself.

Xathess Wolfe said:

Pius XIII said:

All Ross is willing to say is that it is connected to the Calixis Sector in some unsual way, meaning that its probably "near" to the Calixis Sector without necessarily being right next door, but far enough away that we'll be exploring virgin frontier.

Halo stars probably, the place where the margin crusade is ongoing, (a good place for space battles too).

I agree if the rules use the same ruleset then you're really talking about the same game with a new campaign idea.

Frankly, paying for the rules twice just so it can be sold as a stand alone game doesn't appeal to me.

I'd rather have one rulebook with all the rules and have each incarnation being built off of it.

It ticked me off with White Wolf's game systems and it will tick me off with this one as well if they head down that route.

Still going to buy it, but my grumblings will continue.

LeBlanc13 said:

I agree if the rules use the same ruleset then you're really talking about the same game with a new campaign idea.

Frankly, paying for the rules twice just so it can be sold as a stand alone game doesn't appeal to me.

I'd rather have one rulebook with all the rules and have each incarnation being built off of it.

It ticked me off with White Wolf's game systems and it will tick me off with this one as well if they head down that route.

Still going to buy it, but my grumblings will continue.

Remember though, FFG took over this game from BI. I hear what you're saying though.

Optimally you'd have:

WH40kRPG Main Rulebook>Dark Heresy (Campaign Setting), Rogue Trader (Campaign Setting), Creatures Anathema, DeathWatch(Campaign Setting)

Naturally, if you want to play RT and have no interest in DH, then you buy the Main Rulebook and RT. Unfortunately, FFG is in the position that they have to tell RT players they have to buy DH (because it's the "main rulebook") OR rewrite/reprint the core rules in RT.

They could write and print a new Core Rulebook, but that's a gamble as most of the existing players might not buy it because its already in DH.

Another alternative is they distribute the Core Rules with no campaign fluff online as a free .pdf download. That way, they could put more crunchy stuff in RT, satisfy the RT-only players and make the DH players happier and feel like they got more for their money when they buy RT.

But of course, they're probably going to just reprint the core rules in RT. This is going to be a big problem if they feel the need to continually reprint equipment lists, etc. At some point, the logical thing to do would be for them to say "Yes, RT, DW and DH are the same game and the upcoming Xenos Lover's Compendium is intended for use with all three..."

I am pretty happy it is done this way, where each line is focused.

Never got around to play newer D&Ds nor GURPS and suchlike simply because books with just rules bore the hell out of me. So it doesn't matter much if there is a reprint of some of the basic game rules in RT when it comes out for me; there's already a reprint of art in nearly every new book too, which bugs me more than a recap. Same thing with sourcebooks on Xenos and the like.

Not that I can't understand the benefits of having all similiar material show up in single books for easy looking up and less book bloat to bring around and so on. But to me, that would just end up having a lot of content I might not have a use for, and if it turns into big tomes the combination with price would most likely be a downer.

When everything is released I suppose they could revamp all of it for a second edition run with other release formats or something; and perhaps even produce a system sourcebook :P

I actually just had remarkable fun creating a character for Dark Heresy despite also finding it a vexing experience (the fun won out in this case), so here's hoping that a second edition will take a core rulebook and separate settings. Hopefully the quirks of the rules will be sorted out by then and the system would have matured considerably. (Which is not to say that it is "juvenile" in any way, just that it will have more years behind it.)

Kage

My friends and I have just started a DH campaign. I look forward to Rogue trader because it is a different setting. It is akin to AD&D and Spell Jammer. Completely compatible with the existing material in Dark Heresy BUT with a different setting...SPACESHIPS!!!!!

RT places you in command of your ship and crew instead of being a pawn for some Inquisitor. I like both perspectives. We just had a ship battle in our DH game in which the crew did most of the work while our party basically sat and waited to see if we would be blown up, boarded or escaped. I think there is room for both games and I can see why they have chosen to market them differently rather than together.

With regards to my previous post, I was in error. Seemingly what I had gone with is not permitted in the Dark Heresy rules. -1 Karma to that game system... llorando.gif

Kage

What did you do that was not permitted?

the 8 spider said:

from france

hello, the way i understant it the best comparison for me will be with the world of darknes from whitewolf. rules are compatible, generics but you have wraith, changeling, vampire, werewolf and some stand alone. same "universe", same rules but differentes games with few possibilities for a cross over.

this is how i undertstand the division beetween rogue trader, dark heresy and the last one. what in espect from the game are "culturale books" about xenos like the scaven book for warhammer rpg

This seems to accurately describe the situation from my POV.

However, World of Darkness now has a core rulebook and the Vampire, Werewolf and Mage books do not contain those rules.

"the concept of Roles when I realised that a character’s Career wouldn’t fully encompass the idea of being the Lord-Captain of a ship. In addition, I wanted something that could be added on to a character’s Career, which would allow almost all the Careers (even those from Dark Heresy!) to have several choices determining how they could contribute towards the overall welfare and operation of the starship. "

So, it seems the rules will be quite compatible. One less thing to worry about.