Starfighter wings?

By Ferretz, in General Discussion

Now here's a thought:

If regular pilot NPCs are Minions, wouldn't it be interesting and "Star Wars-like" if their starfighters also counted as "Minions" in space combat? We could call them "Starfighter Wings", and it would represent the swarms of Tie Fighters and such seen in the movies.

Any thoughts?

Eirik

Ferretz said:

Now here's a thought:

If regular pilot NPCs are Minions, wouldn't it be interesting and "Star Wars-like" if their starfighters also counted as "Minions" in space combat? We could call them "Starfighter Wings", and it would represent the swarms of Tie Fighters and such seen in the movies.

Any thoughts?

Eirik

I agree.

(It always bothered me that in D20 on foot a level 1 hero had like +1 to hit and 10HP, but a level 10 hero had +10 to hit and 100HP, but in his X-Wing a level 1 fighter ace had +1 to hit and 10HP, and a level 10 fighter ace had +10 to hit… but the same 10HP)

They're probably going to address that in the Rebellion Troops and Pilots 2014 deal.

Garrett

They're probably going to address that in the Rebellion Troops and Pilots 2014 deal.

Garrett

Ferretz said:

Now here's a thought:

Any thoughts?

Eirik

It'd certainly work, and would help speed up combat as there's less ships for the GM to worry about.

The only possible wrinkle is that it'd make the Linked quality that much more devastating, as one good attack roll and you could wipe out an entire TIE fighrer wing in a single attack.

I seem to recall Jay Little mentioning somewhere, maybe on an interview or on twitter or something, that this was going to be a design intent to have Minion rules for starships.

He then said you should have caution, because no one wants to see a Minion Group of Star Destroyers; although frankly I find that idea INCREDIBLY EXCITING!

I'd restrict the minions to the size of a pair or a flight rather than a whole wing. In larger scale battles, maybe up them to the size of a whole squadron (3 or 4 flights) which makes sense since defensive weapons on large ships would be shooting at clusters of craft rather than targeting specific craft.