New Force Powers

By dirklancer, in General Discussion

I was toying around with a few new Force powers for my current campaign, and I thought I would post them here to get input and feedback. I was trying to fill a few gaps while trying to keep the powers within the context of the movies, so I made up two new power trees. I really haven't tested these in play, and I apologize for the rough format and any mistakes because this is my first draft. I am also not very good at graphic design, so the format is that any upgrades that follow a Control Upgrade relate to the Control Upgrade.

Surge covers the ability to move faster and react quicker.

Dark Side Secrets covers some of the more dangerous abilities dark side users have shown, including choking with the Force and Force lightning.

javascript:void(0);/*1346934321825*/

I really don't think a full-blown Power Tree is needed for Surge type effects.

In fact, I've got a home-brew talent that's part of WIP revision of how Force-Sensitive works in regards to careers and specializations.

Short Version: Force-Sensitive is a "career" you buy into with 10 XP, and when you do, you get access to one of three Force Sensitive specializations.

That said, this what I came up with (thanks to some feedback from Cyril):

Force Speed
Activation : Active (Maneuver)
Ranked : No
Trees : Jedi Trainee
The character can roll their Force die, with each Force Point generated granting them one maneuver’s worth of free movement.

Since using a maneuver to move about in this game is pretty free-form in terms of what it accomplishes. Also, being able to get an extra Action in this game is a freaking humongous benefit, to the point that even at 20 XP it's a steal of a deal.

Now the Dark Side Secrets has more potential, but I think it's a case of trying to do too much under one heading. I've always held the opinion (one backed by the movies) that Force Lightning should be something rare and powerful. I remember seeing RotJ in theaters (first run), and thinking "holy crap!" when the Emperor started shooting lightning bolts from his finger tips, proving that Yoda's advice to not underestimate the Emperor's power was a wise one. Dooku's use of it to nearly one-shot Anakin again proved that he was not someone to be trifled with, which naturally made Yoda's deflecting it even more awesome. So for hurling lightning, I'd say leave that for the Force & Destiny book so that it can be appropriately badass instead of being a glorified parlor trick like a fair chunk of the EU would have you believe.

Force Grip I'm thinking could instead be handled as a Control Upgrade to Move, working pretty much as you described, replacing the 1st 10 XP Range Upgrade entry. You can still affect targets with Move from up to Long Range, which I feel is plenty good enough, and the Force Grip effect would be a case of "affecting an object," only with a result other than "lift and move about".

I was curious if anyone got a chance to look these over or try them out in play yet. I was wondering if they worked OK, although I was thinking of adding something to the base Surge power to also offset penalties from things like being off-balance or critical injuries that affect movement.

Also, if anyone could suggest the best way to make them look more like the power trees from the book, it would be greatly appreciated.