King in Yellow Spell cards!

By StarBurn, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

okay so I use a spell that instructs me to draw on of the cards in my case it was the one that gives you "+3 horror checks" and "-2 stamina" "+1 sanity"... and lets say I'm playing the archeologist 3 sanity 7 stamina.

Would my new stats be 4 sanity 5 stamina ?!... and do I imediately gain 1 sanity ? or am I still left with 3 out of 4 max sanity and am reduced to 5 stamina. ?!... cause that seems just like a time waster, besides the extra +3 to horrors which was much appreciated.

Also once cast, I don't have to roll for it every turn do I ?!

If your maximum Sanity or Stamina increases, no matter how it increases, you don't automatically "fill up", so to speak. You stay on your current Sanity or Stamina, you just have the potential to restore to higher than what you had before.

As far as I'm aware, you're right about the other rules questions.

Although the "waste of time" thing is a matter of opinion. *g*

I remember that one. In AH, Sanity is *much* more important than Stamina. Also, Will and Fight are opposite stats, so that +3 (I thought it was +2?) to Horror Checks comes in handy when you have to slide the Will down to get that Fight up! Oddly, this spell works well with Joe Diamond's "One Clue, two dice" special ability...

The spell Is "Open the Third Eye" which allows you to take the "Third Eye" special card. The special card gives you the afore mentioned modifiers +1 Maximum Sanity, -2 Maximum Stamina, and +2 to horror checks (not +3). It does not affect your current Sanity or Stamina scores, unless your current Stamina is now in excess of your maximum; in which case you lower your current Stamina to your new maximum Stamina. One additional effect is that as long as you have the "Third Eye" special card, you may not be Cursed (although, if you are already Cursed , this card does not change that).

This spell is intended for long term use, as its short term benefits are fairly minimal. Fortunately, you do not have to cast this spell every round. You can keep the "Third Eye" special card as long as "Open the Third Eye" remains exhausted; and you may opt not to refresh "Open the Third Eye" during upkeep. This spell is ideal for non-spellcasting characters, as they can raise their Lore to 3, and attempt the spell each round until success. With a +0 Casting Modifer, that should not be more than a few rounds; and at a Sanity Cost of 0, they do not suffer for failure. Once they succeed, they adjust their Sanity and Stamina accordingly (such as turning a Sanity 3 / Stamina 7 character into a more balanced Sanity 4 / Stamina 5 character). Lastly, adjust your skill sliders to their optimum positions. For a non-spellcaster, drop your Lore to 0, as you will not need to cast this spell a second time, unless you choose to cancel its effects. Also, with the +2 bonus to horror check, you can move your Fight / Will slider a little more in favor of fight. Don't forget, as an added bonus, you will not have to worry about being Cursed any longer!

I suppose you can tell from my above review, I like this spell!

I just rolled one die to cast it! ....casting modifier 0...Thats another awesome thing about this spell. gran_risa.gif

I love Third Eye but I especially love its counterpart, Inner Beast . The overall maximum loss is more than made up for by the +2 combat bonus and, more importantly, the +1 movement ! This spell is perfect for characters like Harvey Walters, who have a LOT of sanity to spare but can't get around the board or do combat well.