[Migrated] Pest-Controller: Background Package (Zearoth Kilrathle)

By Wu Ming, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Zearoth Kilrathle: mentioned this subject in a previous thread about a month ago. I finally freed my schedule enough to concentrate and produce this for general appreciation.

Now that this is done, I'm working on fleshing out some sort of Pest-Controller as an alternate rank for Scum and Guardsman, representing those chosen by the Ordo Xenos to be armed with tools and knowledge to fight against the threat from beyond. That is in an early level though and is much more complex than a background package, so it will be a while before it will be up for public consumption. If you want to help me balance, write and playtest it though, be my guest!

So, without further ado, here is our boy!

Pest-Controller Background Package
-----------
Career Scum
Home World: Imperial World, Forge World, Hive World or Void Born.

Cost: 200 XP

Wherever humanity congregates in large cities, sewers and drainage systems are likely to be built and, with time, the refuse of mankind is likely to find life-forms that fester within it. More likely than not, these creatures are often carriers of disease and if left unchecked they can lay waste to entire populations. This is a threat found not only found within worlds, but also in star-ships and stations, which can pick up all sort of undesirable pests from travellers.

When the Administratum recognizes this threat, it usually procures agents from the underclasses to undergo the dangerous task of controlling the vermin population. These desperate men and women are officially called Pest-Controllers, though there are other denominations depending on local culture. While there are a lucky few who don't have to deal with much more than violent rat-analogues, the unfortunate Pest-Controllers operating in advanced or remote areas are likely to meet anything from flesh-eating bugs to mind-controlling parasites.

At times the Inquisition might find use for one trained as a Pest-Controller. Those who survive their first months of activity are well aware of the dangers lurking in the dark areas of their operations and can be valuable guides for Acolytes trying to find their way through unsavory corridors. The Ordo Xenos in particular has ample use for those used to confronting bizarre creatures, so successful Pest-Controllers might find themselves drafted into the Inquisition's service to "control" even more dangerous targets.

Effects:
Apply all of the following changes to your character:
Characteristics: Reduce Fellowship by -3 as the things you encountered down there have left their marks upon your body and disposition.
Skills: You begin the game with Scholastic Lore (Beasts) and Search.
Talents: Add Basic Weapon Training (Flame) to your starting talents.
Insanity Points: You begin the game with 1d5 Insanity Points.
Equipment: Add a pair of Mirker's Greaves, a Respirator and replace your Autogun/Shotgun and its ammo for a Flamethrower and canister.

---------------------

Ta-da! We're open for any critics, praise or general input.

Thanks to my local group and forum member PM102 for helping out with balance and grammar.

This is part of a greater design (of additional character options) that will eventually see release in a PDF, so stay tuned if you like what you see. Stay tuned too if you didn't like, we value your opinion!