Ranked Talents that affect Cost or Time

By Inksplat, in Talents and Specialization Trees

So, the question is, with a Talent that halves the time of Astrogation checks, or halves the cost of adding mods, when you increase the ranks, are you also doubling that effect as well? So, 2 ranks in the Astrogation-related Talent would result in checks that take 1/4 the time?

I'm assuming yes, but it seemed like a good idea to check!

Inksplat said:

So, the question is, with a Talent that halves the time of Astrogation checks, or halves the cost of adding mods, when you increase the ranks, are you also doubling that effect as well? So, 2 ranks in the Astrogation-related Talent would result in checks that take 1/4 the time?

Going by the text of Galaxy Mapper on page 93, the decrease in time wouldn't stack. The only benefit to taking talents like those multiple times is the ability to remove additional setback dice. Same with Gearhead directly below it.

Donovan Morningfire said:

Inksplat said:

Going by the text of Galaxy Mapper on page 93, the decrease in time wouldn't stack. The only benefit to taking talents like those multiple times is the ability to remove additional setback dice. Same with Gearhead directly below it.

Ha, I see my issue--the Talents in the list have different bits than in the Talent Tree, which is where I was looking. Though, Galaxy Mapper does say half "normal" time, which was silly of me to miss, but the bit on Gear Head isn't actually in the Talent Tree. When you mentioned it, I checked the list though, and boom "Does not Stack".

That probably should be on the tree itself.

True, it could be added.

Then again (and it could just be me), I'm quite used to looking at the feat/talent's actual entry rather than what's listed in a chart, as the individual listing often has the correct or at least more complete details on what that feat/talent does. For me, the chart, or talent tree in this case, is a quick note as to what the talent does, pretty much a preview in some cases on which to judge as to whether I want this talent for the character I am building or not.

But honestly, it could be added into the flow chart. Space certainly can't be that much of an issue as those blank segments with the grey connecting lines are almost the size of the talent text boxes, and can easily be compacted down to make room for the full text of the talent in question.

Inksplat said:

Eh. The trees themselves are stated to be summaries. Its pretty clear the full text in in the Talents chapter.

cetiken said:

Inksplat said:

Eh. The trees themselves are stated to be summaries. Its pretty clear the full text in in the Talents chapter.

What's the point of that though? Why make it so that, when spending xp, you have to flip back and forth like that? I could understand if the talent tree was just a name, but it's between 80-100% of the text. It's like, one line missing most of the time, if at all. That makes it really a pain, because hen you have to look up the abilities you don't need to look up, just to be sure.

It'd be less of a pain if it was blatantly a summary and had no stats at all--at least then it's clear you have to go to the Talents Chapter.

Inksplat said:

It'd be less of a pain if it was blatantly a summary and had no stats at all--at least then it's clear you have to go to the Talents Chapter.

Or maybe just list a page reference to where the Talent's effects can be found?

Hi Testers,

At this point, the time reduction (checks take "x" their normal time) in all ranked talents that include it does not stack. However, this information is not always present in the Specialization Tree summaries, depending on the other information that needs to be included in the summaries. We'll look into whether or not we can reasonably include that information. Meanwhile, if the description of any of these types of talents does not include the "time reduction does not stack" caveat, please let us know.

Thanks everyone!