Character Creation: Kibur Blastblade

By Mark Meredith, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Fun read. Looks like you might have skipped over (or at least skipped over writing about) picking your four free career skill ranks from Scoundrel, in addition to the two from the Pilot specialization.

I don't know… I've got a few ideas that I can't make work yet!

For example, one of them:

A Shaman type from a primitive tribe, forced out and trying to make it (See for Example any number of the primitive alien species run into during the Clone Wars TV series. Heck, or Ewoks). None of the options fit very well. Too much of a healer and spiritualist to be a bounty hunter, too primitive to be a Colonist with Doctor spec or an Explorer of any stripe. Especially problematic if it's a human/near human as there isn't a single Career with two specialties that fit! (Since you can't go out of career for the bonus human one). There is a definite presumption you should be playing Scum & Villainy and if you aren't you're doing it wrong in the Beta.

I mean, yes, you can ignore some of the skills and just pretend you haven't learned them but will easily enough, but that's still a clunky patch, not a real solution.

Maybe we even need one or two more Careers?

"Primitive" - with Shaman (Essentially spiritual survival doctor sort), Warrior (Admittedly, can be done with Bounty hunter, with additional skills), Chieftain (Whatever… but one of the more likely to be driven out into the scary universe!) as specialties.

Or even an optional rule or template to slap on to the existing ones to swap for more 'primitive' variants of the careers? (I almost like this better, as it would be less intrusive, and merely swap some of the tech skills for more primitive things. Like instead of Piloting have Riding style switches).

*My disclaimer* This is a Beta, I don't believe "Work it out with the GM" is EVER the answer during the Beta Test, instead we need to find the faults and try to find fixes for them if possible. This is our chance TO bring up this sort of idea. Not all will be possible, but it is still worth bringing up and discussing. That's the point of a Beta! :)

Timberboar said:

Fun read. Looks like you might have skipped over (or at least skipped over writing about) picking your four free career skill ranks from Scoundrel, in addition to the two from the Pilot specialization.

I thought you only get 2 free ranks from your first spec and any other spec simply opens career skills without free ranks.

Wulfherr said:

Timberboar said:

I thought you only get 2 free ranks from your first spec and any other spec simply opens career skills without free ranks.

You are right. Page 36 in the Human Special Abilities section.

I'm glad this got a mention, because I missed it the first time through. Apparently, you get one rank in four of your career skills as well as one rank in two of your initial specialization skills. This is buried in the text of each specialization. A table at the beginning of the skills section might be in order, if only to clarify this and provide quick reference.