Just angry at FFG

By archon77, in Tide of Iron

Before this game came out i was looking really hard at buying memoire44.

Then this game came out and I had a dellima on my hands I researched it and couldn't decide what route I wanted to go,after a week or two my wife got so tired of me comparing the qualities of the games she made me decide on one and told me that was the end of it. At first I was quite happy with the choice I made but slowly I lost interest because of the lack of expansions where as memoire now has over 20 covering a much greater aspect of the war. FFG seems to have lost interest in us the people who love the game and eagerly anticipate upgrades that undoubtably are not coming.i went to the other game website and for close to the same price maybe 25 to 50 dollars more or less I could have got a more or less complete coverage to the war Italians French resistance ect.and. Carrying case to hold it all to boot!!! Just me griping I guess I love FFG and have over 14 of there tabletop games but. Ow I'm getting quite upset with there lack of interest

I certainly understand your sentiments, and I too have been relatively disheartened at the lack of attention TOI has received.

But M44 is a relatively different experience to TOI in terms of game experience. While M44 seems to be ever expanding, it still offers a reasonably low level of true wargaming experience. My experience with M44 is that it is more of a strategy board game with a wargame presentation/execution. TOI is much closer to providing an actual tactical wargame experience. In fact, I believe that M44 "relies" on these frequent expansions in order to keep people interested in the system. It would not be anywhere near as popular if it was just the base game and a few expansions alone. TOI in and of itself is much more of a "sandbox" system allowing dedicated and passionate members of the TOI community to continue exploring its potentials.

I agree that it is a shame that the potential of TOI was never really tapped into by FFG. But the more I delved into M44, the more I came to realise that it would never replace what TOI is, and can still be. Depending on what you want out of TOI, try not to lament your decision too much. If your exploration of the game requires that more and more options in the form of "official" FFG products are provided, then I fear TOI may well continue to be an ongoing regret for you. The way I see it, as long as FFG continue to acquire and maintain licences on such influential IPs such as Warhammer 40k and Star Wars, I am sure that the bulk of their effort and resources will continue to be expended on those certain "money makers". There is still hope that worthwhile products will follow (e.g. a Designer Series Vol 2) from FFG, just don't rely on this too much.

I do think we;ll still see something new. The question is when. However, obviously they should have kept the fire burning and will undoubtedly have lost many customers by now. Not good!