Languages in EotE

By Jegergryte, in Game Mechanics

Right. So the game, apparently, has no skill or way of keeping track of languages. This was mentioned briefly in this thread.

Now I respect the game designers and can unwillingly accept their reasoning.

On the other hand I'd like a system for languages in my campaign(s), because I find languages to be incentives for characters to learn them - and as a generic plot device it is great. Players knowing or learning a language, let's say Sith for example, should both cost time, perhaps xp and enable them to read and talk a different language - a whole plot and personal mission around learning a language has happened in my games before. Additionally it can work to keep secrets from other players in-game if necessary, but also to understand those who believe that no one listens or can understand.

So, as my book is still moving closer to the Atlantic ocean before a lengthy flight to europe then towards scandinavia, I wonder what you guys who have the book, perhaps those that have played Warhammer… basically those of you who have some familiarity with the system. How would you treat languages if you were to implement it into the game?

I think it should be somewhat granular, perhaps 3 levels of speech, with a possible 4 level for those crazy archaic dialects and stuff. And about the same for reading.

Ideas? Anybody?

I don't have the book either (my GM ordered it), but from looking at the character sheet and reading through the forums. I'd run it like this:

A GM could also decide that rather than spend precious character XP for custom skills, the GM could provide these skills as 'game/plot' skills via holocrons or intensive studying. Otherwise, use the XP to buy a non-career skill at usual costs.

Custom Skill: Sith Lore (or Knowledge (Sith) or whatever you want to name it)

Level 1 - Basic lore (think of this like DC 10 or 15 knowledge check)

Level 2 - Reading/Writing, limited lore

Level 3 - Speaking, knows a lot

Level 4 - knows a whole lot

Also, (Sorry got caught up on Sith language above which I think works better as a Knowledge skill than a language since it's basically a 'dead' language and requires a bunch of knowledge)…

For normal languages, you could house rule in languages just like in d20.

Starting languages: Common + racial (except for Wookies, droids, etc. then more special house rules)

Bonus languages:

Intellect 3 = +1 languages

Intellect 4 = +2 languages

Intellect 5 = +3 languages

For buying more languages, you could spend x XP to buy an additional language.

Just for the record, I like doing away with languages. I think the GM can handwave any situation where the PCs aren't suppose to understand something. It makes it easier for char gen and allows players to spend XP in actual game mechanics designed for the game. If the PCs aren't suppose to understand something, then the GM can just tell them that they don't understand it. The GM should make that call.

Fair points all.

The d20 solution might be the best I guess. Hm. I'll have to think more on this.

With how long it takes to learn a language…why would you ever want to base a campaign around it? Unless you just hardwave the fact that it takes a long time with lots of studying, in which case, what's the point in the first place?

Inksplat said:

With how long it takes to learn a language…why would you ever want to base a campaign around it? Unless you just hardwave the fact that it takes a long time with lots of studying, in which case, what's the point in the first place?

As much as commonly used languages can be hand waved, I'm curious about ancient languages. How does someone learn those?

I'm going to throw this out there - very few roleplaying games have ever addressed the idea of languages with any kind of realism.

If EotE wants to approach the idea from a narrative point of view ("What languages does your character speak?" "He speaks, uh, Wookie?" "Okay, so he understand Shyriiwook, and speak and write Basic. Cool.") I'm totally fine with that. I'd rather less fiddly bits be in there, to be totally honest.

If your character is an archaeologist, then yeah, maybe they can read and write Sith. It really doesn't matter, and it's one less thing to spend experience on if you're handwaving it.

As I think was put forward earlier in this topic (or the related one) learning unusual languages can prove to be a plot-hook rather then a skill point sink. If the party needs to read Archaic Sith to compleate a job, then the job just became "Find a professer who speaks Sith" or "Find/Steal a Sith-Basic dictionary" etc. And better yet, none of the players have to take an xp hit, as it were, just to compleate a mission objective.