Deck Building 101

By achdesp, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi everyone. Just read through the rules and have 1 major issue about deck building. Is it mandatory to have 2 factions in a deck? How about a single faction deck? Or perhaps a 3 or 4 faction deck? Please shed a light... sad.gif

achdesp said:

Hi everyone. Just read through the rules and have 1 major issue about deck building. Is it mandatory to have 2 factions in a deck? How about a single faction deck? Or perhaps a 3 or 4 faction deck? Please shed a light... sad.gif

You can - if you have enough cards - make a deck with just one faction. You can also choose to play with all 7 factions if you so please.

The problem with having a lot of different factions in one deck is that you'll have to resource more to get a resource match all the time.

Having just one faction usually works well, but has the downside that you're limited to the amount of abilities you'll have access to. So, for beginning players, 2 factions is generally a good idea.

The league rules are special construction rules, which you can ignore outside of league play.

Makes sense. Thank you very much!!!! gran_risa.gif

Two faction decks do not need to be evenly split. In many cases, you can use one faction as the primary faction and a complimentary faction with a smaller percentage of the cards in your deck.

The advantage is that for your primary faction, it will be much easier to pay the cost of loyal cards, meet steadfast obligations, and have multiple domains supporting that faction. For a support faction, you may only need to establish one domain for paying for those cards.

I have found that 12-15 cards is sufficient to provide enough cards for a secondary faction's inclusion in your deck. This will allow you to focus on the strengths of your primary faction and shore up any weaknesses with second faction without straying to far from your desired strategy.

I am new to the game, but from what I understand you can have as many factions as you want in your deck. I have a feeling that having too many factions in your deck could hurt you more in the long run.

I'm new to the LCG Call of Cthulhu. I played the original and was actually a Servitor. I know some of the new rules; 3 copies of each and such. But are cards from my players collections allowed to be used (With the use of sleeves of course)?

Lindorm said:

I'm new to the LCG Call of Cthulhu. I played the original and was actually a Servitor. I know some of the new rules; 3 copies of each and such. But are cards from my players collections allowed to be used (With the use of sleeves of course)?

In tournaments: We don't know yet. There might still be mixed border tournaments. I think in the Throne LCG there's only mixed border highlander allowed.

In private games: Sure; if your opponent(s) agree(s).

Thank you for responding. I know that there is a 'Legacy' format that the original card base can be used, but highlander format could be interesting allowing the older cards to be used. The mixed border idea I would only really want to allow if sleeves are being used.

Personally, I'm dividing my cards and decks into "Old Style" (black-bordered, 4-card deckbuilding limits) and "New Style" (white-bordered, 3-card deckbuilding limits) and that seems to be working just fine.

The "New Style" decks generally get the pants beaten off them by "Old Style" decks, but that could just reflect the amount of work (and staggeringly larger card pool) invested in the Great Old Decks.