Brawn and other stats

By LukeZZ, in Game Mechanics

Brawn is the only attribute that is directly added (as numerical value) to 3 important stats:

1) Wound Threshold
2) Soak
3) Melee Damage (this one is not very clear)

Adding Brawn to both Wound Threshold & Soak seems like doubling the effect.
And a naked strong man (Brawn 5) will only be scratched (from the extra successes) by a Light Blaster Pistol…
Maybe the Wound Soak could be a fixed amount (something like 3, increased by the Resilience talent), exactly as the Strain Soak is a fixed amount (0, increased by the Resolve talent).

Rolling Brawn to hit in Melee and adding it to melee damage seems like doubling the effect.
More dice (or better dice) = more successes -> more successes = more damage.
Maybe a fixed valued (something like 3) could be added to melee damage.

Thoughts?

I'd prefer that Agility adds to Defense, to help balance it out.

TheRedBaron said:

+1. This did seem odd to me that there isn't really a dodge ability or some such way to increase your defense.

TheRedBaron said:

Yes, another way would be to increase the use of other attributes (Agility is the main candidate).

Adding Agility (or maybe Agility -1) to Defense would be a good start.

I would also add Agility to ranged and lightsaber damage (naturally reducing the fixed damage by something like 3 or 4).

Well, I agree with Brawn being all over the place, but I'd rather remove it as bonus to damage (if it is a bonus, can't actually find the rule in the book) than make Agility add to Defense. Let's face it, in an Outer RIm game, we're gonna have a lot of shooters with Agility 4-5. You put armor and some talents on them and they'll be adding 6 (setback) dice. One thing I don't want in EotE is rolling buckets of dice. Did that in WEG.

Wulfherr said:

Well, I agree with Brawn being all over the place, but I'd rather remove it as bonus to damage (if it is a bonus, can't actually find the rule in the book) than make Agility add to Defense. Let's face it, in an Outer RIm game, we're gonna have a lot of shooters with Agility 4-5. You put armor and some talents on them and they'll be adding 6 (setback) dice. One thing I don't want in EotE is rolling buckets of dice. Did that in WEG.

To keep low the number of Difficulty dice added you could use (Agility - 1) upgrades from black d6 to purple d8.

So if you have defense 3 (armor + talents) and agility 5, you would add to opponents attacking you 3d8 (purple) + 1d6 (black).

If you have defense 0 and agility 5, you would add 2d8 (purple).

Yeah I guess that might work. I personally wouldn't use it as it's too complex. I'm not even sure how you come up with 2d8 in the second example, but I'm probably missing something.

Wulfherr said:

Yeah I guess that might work. I personally wouldn't use it as it's too complex. I'm not even sure how you come up with 2d8 in the second example, but I'm probably missing something.

Agility 5 - 1 = 4 "upgrades"

1 "upgrade" for 1d6 (black) (none used)

2 "upgrades" for 1d8 (purple)

Still I would prefer to improve the effect of the defensive maneuvers than give some type of permanent bonus to defense.