Jump infantry…

By poweranimal2, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

My buddy and I are fairly new to the Dust universe, but so far its been a blast. We split the core set, and I took Axis. We also purchased an M2,M3,M6, Recon Infantry, and Command unit for each faction. So far, I can handle everything but, RHINO and his HAMMERS. These guys are chewing through everything in my list. Now we tend to play with alot of terrain, it makes the game much more interesting, but with their incredible speed and jump ability their always in either cover or out of LoS, and when they do unleash upon me… I can't react because of their jump rule. How do you guys handle them? It feels like my only options are fielding either the gorillas or zombies…

I have found Laura with a Heavy Recon squad chews through them nicely!

Have you tried snipers? Snipers can really put a dent in most opposition especially with Angela attached. Also Rhino with the hammers should not be enagaged in close combat if you can avoid it, they will easily kill anything if they berserk.

I play allies, and as I do thoroughly enjoy Rhino and the boys, but suppression is their biggest Achilles. They rely on moving and attacking in the same turn, suppression will monkey wrench that. You just have to plan it well because you can't react to their jump move, but as I've found unfortunately it can be done.

@itsuncertainwho: Lara and Flak grenadiers have been my go to choice for most of our engagements, and they've done really well, but he's caught on. Guess I just need to out flank him or something.

@Dakkon: I think snipers are going to be my next purchase for sure. I'll have to give it a try.

@blkdymnd: I've tried suppressing them, but with Rhino in the group their getting the inspiration bonus, and rolling off most of the tokens all of the time or! he just uses his radioman in his command squad for the regroup action in the command phase. But I do see where that can really hinder them, so I'll keep trying!

Thanks guys!

Poweranimal said:

I've tried suppressing them, but with Rhino in the group their getting the inspiration bonus, and rolling off most of the tokens all of the time or! he just uses his radioman in his command squad for the regroup action in the command phase. But I do see where that can really hinder them, so I'll keep trying!

Don't underestimate the value of multiple suppression on a unit like Rhino/Hammers. Artillery strikes, snipers and any other squad that can put fire on them is a good idea. They are far too mobile and deadly to leave un-suppressed. They are a priority target for me as soon as they make an appearance, right next to the Cobra.

Seems to me that Gorillaz+Markus can counter-measure for Hammers as they have same great speed and no problem with suppression, huh?

Drag0n said:

Seems to me that Gorillaz+Markus can counter-measure for Hammers as they have same great speed and no problem with suppression, huh?

Jump troops have a slight advantage, they can ignore 9" of height during a jump. The Apes only get to ignore 6" with climb.

ItsUncertainWho said:

Drag0n said:

Jump troops have a slight advantage, they can ignore 9" of height during a jump. The Apes only get to ignore 6" with climb.

And Gorillas can be reacted to on the move. Close in, and Hammers can choose, attack you first, or just jump away.

As others have said, just keep as much fire on them as possible, or use bait. I prefer giving them a target they can't resist, then tearing them up with a counter attack.

Suppress, suppress, suppress… the only way to deal with Rhino and the hammers is to keep them from having 2 actions… do that and you make them as limp as Grandpa with an empty bottle of viagara. Multiple suppression markers so they can't shake them… if you have to throw a unit their way to make them react to it, do that. Then with the reaction marker on them, they won't be able to stop the gorillas or zombies from lighting them up… or, at the least if you went first, you will not let them have 2 actions in their unit phase and keep them at bay until you can get your units into position to light them up with combined fire. If they can't jump into your face and pound it to mush with rocket punches in one go, they are very ineffective and easily killed…. They take a certain finesse to use right and when they are used right they are nasty…. nothing stands up to them at 3" range if they engage you in cc… nothing….. But if there is a good enemy on the other end, he can easily make you wish you left them at home and brought some guys with 16" guns instead.

Keep Angela in Recon Granadiers near your precious units. When Hammerers show up in 16" shoot them with no cover and armor saves.

Alright, after a few games… I can say the Rhino and his Hammers are my *******.

The constant suppression is key. Basically if they are in LoS, I shot at them. When they weren't in line of sight I kept my distance so that I couldn't be engaged.

This strategy works well for non-scenario based games, but they can really control the field with their presence.

I kept a good portion of my platoon together as well. The Kommand platoon was backed up by Lara and her Flak Grenadiers. Basically he would try to move into position, and I'd respond on my turn with my command squad with an attack, forcing him to react-move or become suppressed leaving him open to flak G's and Lara. Rinse repeat. While the rest of my army pushed upward.

Thanks for the input guys!

Love this game.