First Annual Labor Day DUST-OFF! Need help

By mikehoughton, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

So guys I have convinced the store I work at to allow us to have our first DUST Tournament on Labor Day and need some ideas. Right now we have about 8 players that show up throughout the week and play, and quite a few more that buy models on a regular basis. With that in mind I would like to do a simple tournament, and while I have read the rule book from cover to cover a few times and the expansion book as well I cant say the same for the rest of our players (they may have, but I dont know)

So what I was wanting to ask is-

What point value?

What kind of restrictions? Do we allow fortifications, and unit upgrades etc?

What are some of the things I need to look for as a judge of the games?

What can I do to keep it loosey goosey and fun?

Thanks guys! I appreciate all feedback given. Also if anyone wants to add me on facebook Im Mike Houghton, you can tell its me because of the underwater pic :P

For a first event, I'd probably go either 150 or 200 AP. 150 if you think multiple platoons and/or heroes might cause heartburn for the less experienced players. 200 if you think most players have 2 heroes and/or two command squads. If you get more than 8 players, which it sounds likely you will, it'll go at least 3 rounds, and probably 4. At 300 AP, it'll take a long time.

As far as the fortifications and upgrades, I'd let folks play them who want to, but at 150-200 AP, most won't play many of them, and the ones they do are likely to be the more common ones, so that'll sort itself out at the lower point levels.

To keep it fun and loosey-goosey, I'd probably buy a mixed bag of mini candy-bars and make some frivolous awards where you can toss a, "crunch" bar at someone who got a multi-wound model or entire unit one-shotted, a "snickers" bar at players laughing at their dice, a "100 grand" bar at a player who had a model or unit do all the heavy lifting for a game (my SSU mechanic was "money" last weekend in a game where he single-handedly took out a Pounder and a command squad), a "Milky Way" to a guy who rolls crap on the first roll of a Sustained Attack, but then milks the dice into a good roll on the reroll, or a laser attack that more than half the dice that hit, hit again, etc. I've done similar things in the past. It's cheap, easy to do, and I've gotten good response in the past. By the second round, players are coming up with other creative ways to obtain a candy of their choice, and lots of laughs ensue.

As always, ymmv, but it works great in my dojo.

That sounds like great advice Shadow4ce. Also where would this tourney be I doubt I'm close enough but if I am I'd want to go.

Its in Morgantown WV. Our store is awesome. The owner supports every game that has players for it lol. He often pays for our gas/hotels to conventions and tournaments. I wish all stores could be as cool as this one lol.