Adventure Ideas…

By Ski, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

I am working on my first adventure idea. After I finish reading the combat section and get down the dice mechanics, my first adventure will be a really seedy adventure. I am going to go for the starwars 1313 dynamic more or less. My test group is excited of course and im excited to beta my first adventure.

Just curious what anyone is doing for their adventure ideas. What I would like to do is put out a fan made adventure pdf. Take a few adventure ideas from everyone and put it out there for other GM'S to use. Free download from fans I dont think would be a issue. Hell I would even do artwork for it. Just brainstorming really and way to excited lol.

But yeah…adventure hooks and ideas….GO! :)

Ski

i dont create any adventures until my players make characters. i give them a loose sense of the setting then let them come up with back stories and go from there. my only rules are all character must speak a common language and they cannot be so lone wolf they cannot work with the other party members. usually the player back stories provide a ton of adventure seeds and all the hard work is done for me :)

for some reason the edge of the empire gives me a serenity/firefly vibe so i think a train robbery or defending against a train robbery would be a cool start to a campaign.

I tend to steal, convert, and mutate from a variety of sources to varying degrees. I try to be original but thematically I'm definately inspired by other shtuff.

I think I'll be taking a trip through WEG, Saga Edition: Scum and Villainy, and Firefly for ideas for Edge of the Empire.

Casa Blanca is a great bit of cinema and story to steal ideas from for adventures on the fringe of larger conflicts. One of the better themes, is the use of a sympathetic member of the "bad guys" that we see with Captain Louis Renault. I've mined that character type before for Star Wars in order to develop an NPC that works with/for/under the Galactic Empire that has potential to be a flavorful help to the PCs. And let's be realistic…there's a lot of Rick Blaine in Han Solo.

Now that I've actually got EotE in my hands I'm thinking of a number of non-star wars movies, comics, etc. that can be used to create some good Outer Rim romps. But the first one that popped into my head was Casa Blanca.

This is a great thread to get the create juices flowing. Here were some of the things that I was thinking about this morning after having read the first several posts:

• I really like Firefly as source/inspiration
  • I was thinking of Three Kings, Inglorious Basterds, and the A Team as well (the idea of former military characters that have moved on to more lucrative & rewarding exploits)

I was also thinking that I would create "Classic Crawl" in iMovie that I would send out to my player group the week of each adventure to help put them in the mood.

My players are getting together in early September to create characters and we'll go from their.

bkirchhoff said:

This is a great thread to get the create juices flowing. Here were some of the things that I was thinking about this morning after having read the first several posts:

• I really like Firefly as source/inspiration
  • I was thinking of Three Kings, Inglorious Basterds, and the A Team as well (the idea of former military characters that have moved on to more lucrative & rewarding exploits)

I was also thinking that I would create "Classic Crawl" in iMovie that I would send out to my player group the week of each adventure to help put them in the mood.

My players are getting together in early September to create characters and we'll go from their.

Nice! I really like the "Three Kings" Aspect!! That caught my attention lol…..let alone watching it again this week.

I see alot of **** good ideas….from old weg books to firefly ( alot) lol. Keep um coming…adventures needed!! ;)

You could also transfer a lot of Old West style content (movies/characters/books/etc) to outer space with but a flick of the set-dressing wrist. That's pretty much what fueled Firefly. And the movie Outland was basically High Noon in space.

I have also been taking a second look at some of my 40k source material for inspiration as well. There's an obvious tone and pitch shift between the two universes, but there are some really fantastic worlds that have been described and shaped in 40k that would fit in just fine on the fringe.

I enjoy reading star wars novels for inspiration, and comics, and sometimes play the computer games too.

My current ideas for a smuggler/exploration campaign for the lady and a couple of friends is somewhat centered around the Gree, mainly due to the entertaining Gree missions in swtor on coruscant, currently my favourite mission in that game, after three characters on republic side.

Info on the Gree is limited to swtor (which isn't much), wookiepedia and some weg sources, I don't think wotc ever touched upon them.

I have an idea of a starting planet, perhaps tatooine (classic and clihé is always good) or some other planet. A seedy place. I'm not sure how EotE handles how the characters possess the ship they start out with, but I plan on the players owing large sums of money to some crime lord, perhaps even Jabba, but preferably someone else, some competing faction. Drama, roleplaying and leverage, I hope.

Other than that my idea is to let them do a few nice and "easy" trips in the outer rim delivering, stealing and transporting goods for their "benefactor" … I know the exchange might not be around anymore, but I'm considering using them, with a touch of the Shadow Broker from the ME universe. Missions could be smuggling medical supplies for frontier settlers, refugees and the like. Depends on the players' alignments and moral qualms. Perhaps they prefer the spice running. Who knows.

I have at least one or two smuggler hideouts, like space stations/old derelict mining facilities on some big asteroid (akin to the base in Scum and Villainy from wotc). These will serve as down time areas, personal missions, roleplaying opportunities.. places to lie low.

Then there is the occasional run for the rebellion, unknown of course. Weapons and tibanna gas and the like.

If they instead want to do more exploration and treasure hunt types, you always have the unknown regions and of course the Gree to draw on. This takes them closer to potential imperial entanglements, but I can run with that. Perhaps some rumoured giant crystal or old legendary flying dutchman kind of ship. Hook here can be sabacc games - on that note, do the EotE book contain rules for sabacc? if not I think they should include them. I know WotC added some both for RCR and SE I think - non-monetary payments from settler and refugees … which means that down payment on the ship takes longer, they have less cash and their "benefactor" gets more giddy and vengeful. Always good fun for roleplaying.

These are my current ideas, not very coherent, but I know that no plan, campaign, rule set, not anything really, survives meeting the players.

My first adventure is going to have the players hired to go to Alderaan to transport the radical artist Ob Khaddar off planet, racing against a deployment of storm troopers sent to arrest him. At the end of the adventure, as they are making the calculations to lightspeed, they pick up a large power signature in Alderaan's orbit. They look out and witness the Death Star's destruction of the planet. This sets up the next advunture to involve having to fly around former Alderaan airspace and rescue disabled ships before they get pulled into the Death Star like a certain Corellian freighter that appeared out of hyperspace. Of course, the players also have the option of turning tail and running. This could set up a campaign that eventually brings them to openly oppose the Empire, coinciding with the release of the 2nd FFG sourcebook (Age of Rebellion? I think that's the title).

Remorhaz said:

for some reason the edge of the empire gives me a serenity/firefly vibe so i think a train robbery or defending against a train robbery would be a cool start to a campaign.

I had an idea for a train heist adventure, inspired in equal parts by Firefly and a recent episode of Breaking Bad. They are hired by a nervous looking member of the Rebel Alliance to rescue a high profile prisoner from the train, possibly Admiral Ackbar. Of course the whole thing could just be an elaborate ruse by the Empire, complete with a decoy Mon Calamari. I wonder what they would say when it becomes clear they've been duped…

I don't really have a plan (or a book, or a gaming group) yet, but I want to run a Crimson Skies styled campaign with space pirates and high adventure. Arr! With the pirates, obviously, being the good guys, striking from their hidden base against the fat Empire-sponsored corporations that exploit the people of the Outer Rim.

After our "zero-compassion" Exalted campaign, I think it could be a nice change of pace. :)

Slaunyeh said:

I don't really have a plan (or a book, or a gaming group) yet, but I want to run a Crimson Skies styled campaign with space pirates and high adventure. Arr! With the pirates, obviously, being the good guys, striking from their hidden base against the fat Empire-sponsored corporations that exploit the people of the Outer Rim.

After our "zero-compassion" Exalted campaign, I think it could be a nice change of pace. :)

Ooooff, zero-compassion Exalted… been there, no thank you.

My flatmates have me running a piratey game that's just pre-Vong. I'm still burnt out from all the Rogue Trader I've had the last year or two and I'd love to hear any ideas you've got for that. Also might work better with a few more star ships, or waiting for Age of Rebellion, but don't let that stop ya! Viva la GM!

--

I'll be using some Saga books for setting, like the Galaxy of Intrigue supplied setting, and I might use some of the setting stuff from Rogue Trader's Koronus Expanse (like the Yu'Vath, and heck--why not take the Kroot and twist them into the Gand? why are they in this section of the Outer Rim?). I think it also might be fun to throw in some of the superstitious stuff like space-ghosts/angels/sirens. And Force spirits, so I'll be using those Fear rules, it seems.

I am also trying to put together a star wars version of the old king fu tv show as a adventure. It will be for a single player campaign for the most part, but I think it would be kind of cool to have a teras kasi master wander the worlds helping solve problems for those in need ;)

The weird thing about all this is that, a few weeks ago I began running my group in an SW Saga Edition campaign where they are playing smuggler's mercenaries, bounty hunters, etc. The seedier types in the SW universe. Then I heard that FFG was putting out the EotE game. I decided to scrap my game and change the system to the FFG system.

mighty sven! said:

I had an idea for a train heist adventure, inspired in equal parts by Firefly and a recent episode of Breaking Bad. They are hired by a nervous looking member of the Rebel Alliance to rescue a high profile prisoner from the train, possibly Admiral Ackbar. Of course the whole thing could just be an elaborate ruse by the Empire, complete with a decoy Mon Calamari. I wonder what they would say when it becomes clear they've been duped…

One of the adventures I'm running for my group is based on a similar idea. A hutt has hired the group to protect the cargo on a train. While aboard the train it gets hijacked but some locals that want the cargo. The players fight off the hijack, or so they think. One of the would be hijackers has secretly placed a homing beacon on the cargo. The players think they easily defeat the hijackers, later to learn of the trickery. Shortly before delivering the cargo to the hutt, he hijackers' have traced the cargo and once again attempt to seize the cargo. In the ensuing battle the crate partially destroyed to reveil a young girl, with respirator, crammed inside the crate.

Turns out that the Hutt wants control of a mining operations of an Outer Rim Colony world. In order to gain control, he promises the Moff of the planet a nice young bride. This young bride is also the daughter of a local tribal leader who's been rebelling against the Empire's stripping of the planet's resources. The Hutt uses the daughter as leverage to force the tribal leader to cease his insurrection.

With all that said, the players then find out the back story, the plans of the daughter, and that the hijackers (lead by the daughter's brother) are really just trying to rescue a tribal member. They are now stuck with the dilemna of morals, conscience, or duty.

I am going to begin my campaign about 4 or 5 years before A New Hope, with the starting adventure (it sounds like its on 5atooine but if not I'll move it there). during the first session or two I am going to have a little kid about 12 running around with droids with an adult yelling at him to hurry and he yells back,' Okay Uncle Owen', and he then starts to tinker with a droid. if asked he would say his name is Luke,then take a semi working droid to Jawas and that would be where I would introduce Luke. Probably never bring him up again, but I think it would be a fun reference point to let the players know that this is their galaxy and their story and they won't be overshadowed by the other iconic characters.