Starships: Which are included in the book?

By Ferretz, in General Discussion

I haven't received my book yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow's mail), but I was wondering, as the topic say, which starships stats are included in the rulebook.

Also, how easy or difficult is it for starting characters to have a starship?

Eirik

The last step of character creation is for the party to select their starship, from three options:

KSE Firespray

YT-1300

Ghtroc 720 Freighter

Other ships:

Skipspray Blastboat

Lambda class shuttle

TIE/LN

Y-Wing

Z-95

Action VI bulk transport

YT-2400 Light Freighter

Mobquet Medium Transport

CR90 Corvette

Nebulon-B

In other words, enough to get an idea for how things should be weighted, but still plenty to add.

The Firespray? Very nice :)

Eirik :)

By the way, the three options for spaceship… is it a free choice, or is one more expensive in some way than the others? What decides what ship the party gets? And do every party start with one?

Eirik

Its free, all groups of players start with one. There is no cost difference in the choice. Its balanced by the differences in functions each ship can provide. A Firespray might be good in a fight, but is not a cargo hauling ship. The Ghtroc can haul, but don't take that thing into a fight.

The real point is that its an option that the party can optimize to their particular goals (realize, this game isn't necessarily about fighting and winning).

The party mainly would have to decide as a group what kind of ship to take.

What… no X-wing?!

Yeah, FFG needs to add the X-Wing and an Imperial Star Destroyer in at least before the final version, IMO.

I would say at this exact timeframe, the X-wing may be out of place, being a specifically military craft.

To broaden this thread a bit, what about vehicle listings? Do they have stats for walkers and stuff? From what you are saying about the starships I would guess no, but I was kinda hoping to have my characters take on at least an AT-ST at some point. Good times that… :D

I can understand, although not willingly, the absence of the x-wing, but the ISD is very useful in both exploration and bounty hunting and smuggling campaigns. Now it seems the big ships to fear (and rightly so of course) is the Nebulon-B for patrol craft… but this craft doesn't make the players on edge and fear the situation they're in, an ISD would definitely make a bunch of wannabe smugglers or bounty hunters think twice about their course of action.

Reading Choices of One now… I forgot how good Zahn actually was, I mean I remembered him writing good books and stories, but that book is definitely one of the best I have read in the SW vein the last few years, Denning go back to school. Anyways, that book is set in the perfect time-frame, so I wonder the T-47 air speeders? are they in the book? Are planets described? I for one want to make a smuggler/exploration campaign for my players, and then starships and stuff like that is really important.

Another question, Starships, would they be easy to convert from earlier version of the game?

Han suggests in ANH that Star Destroyers aren't very common on the fringes, so I imagine that's why you don't see them.

Fair point, although he refers to " big corellian" ones, not the "local bulk cruiser" or however the line goes… either way, I suppose I can conjure my own ISD until they come along in the Age of Rebellion book. Although it would be nice to have there for those few imp moments I intend to throw in alongside the mean pirates (as they could have Nebulon-Bs from time to time) and the Hutt cartels.

All in all the ship list was a bit short, but useful enough for a fun campaign in the outer rim and perhaps even the unknown regions.

Considering that the Rebels 'stole' the plans and/or the prototypes for the x-wing from the Incom Corporation, who was manufacturing them in a bid to win funding from the empire for the new imperial starfighter (the TIE fighter design proved, much cheaper), so very few x-wings would wind up in the hands of bounty-hunters, smugglers and all the other miscellaneous scum and villainy.

The y-wing was a much older design, that's why that is there.

As for stats of a Star Destroyer - 2 fighters against a star destroyer an incredulous statement, so why not have the stats be hand-wavium? Avoiding a ship that will be able to tractor you in, has immense firepower at it's disposal, as well as fighters and lots of crew would work much better as a bunch of challenges to avoid, rather than confront.

Possibly in the Age of Rebellion book, but even then, the game should be about a group of heroes doing daring missions, rather than fleet actions.

There's something to be said for the Star Destroyers to be plot devices instead of statted too. None of those ships should even stand a chance against one. The biggest is a Nebulon B, and even that shouldn't hold a candle to a Star Destroyer.

I'll take an Obligation to the Emperor if I can start with a Nebulon-B. :)

(STILL waiting for my book to arrive here…)

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is what makes the difference between the three "player ships" and the others. How does the rules prevent the players from choosing, say, a YT-2400? Are these "NPC ships" and less detailed?

-Eirik

The main reason the YT-2400 isn't available is it is effectively a better version (better armour, hull integrity, handling) of a YT-1300 in the rules (and costs 20k credits more). A few minor variations, but most of them equate to them being far more effective. Also, they have a crew requirement of 3, whereas the 1300 (and other starter ships), have a crew requirement of 2 or less (except the firespray, which lists a need for guards, but beyond that just needs 1 pilot). I doubt the crew requirement is really what matters, but its just something to mention.

KommissarK said:

The main reason the YT-2400 isn't available is it is effectively a better version (better armour, hull integrity, handling) of a YT-1300 in the rules (and costs 20k credits more). A few minor variations, but most of them equate to them being far more effective. Also, they have a crew requirement of 3, whereas the 1300 (and other starter ships), have a crew requirement of 2 or less (except the firespray, which lists a need for guards, but beyond that just needs 1 pilot). I doubt the crew requirement is really what matters, but its just something to mention.

Its a bit strange since Dash Rendar and his droid could pilot it alone - but the YT-2400 is my favourite small cargo ship in the SW universe, the YT-1300 (millenium falcon) never grew on me.

Vehicles included…

Airspeeder

Storm IV Cloud Car

Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike

Trast A-A5 Heavy Speeder Truck

X-34 Landspeeder

Corellian Mining Corporation Digger Crawler

Personnel Carrier

AT-PT

AT-EST Exploration Walker

Gave my group the choice between the three and they went for the Ghtroc instead of the YT-1300 which surprised me since I had some old star wars stuff with the floorplan for the YT-1300 handy…

Imperial Guardian class Light Cruiser and I thought it was some kind of customs & Excise vessel!

Would have thought that would have been applicable for here maybe someone here can theorize stats for that kind of ship?

Excuse me if this is the wrong place for this, though I thought the Z-95 Headhunter was a good replacement given how it was described as being widespread in use, didn't know it was first introduced during the Clone Wars mind you!

Ooh just found my old WEG Star Wars boxed set for the Tapani Sector… certainly worth a look and set around the right time too!

The players only have the choice of the first three ships. There's nothing to stop them from saving up to buy a 2400 (except the Hutt who they owe money to, the bounty hunter who is after them and the undue attention buying that ship would bring them from the sector patrols) later in the game…

THE /ince