Old Republic Era? Clone Wars Era? Legacy Era? Dawn of the Jedi Era?

By RJFire, in General Discussion

Also, I must say, a Dawn of the Jedi sourcebook would be AWESOME. It's a really cool era.

Personally, I'm thinking long-term about a Tales of the Jedi game! Exar Kun… Ulic Qel-Droma… Kath war droids… Onderon… and all the dark grandeur of the Great Sith War… the period is rich, and ripe with adventure potential, not to mention both the times leading up to the War, and the recovery after. TotJ has always held a special place in my heart, and I love that it's an early vision of the Star Wars universe that actually feels different and original, while still holding onto that special Star Wars something… Maybe it's the roughness of the art and colors, and the exotic antiquity of all the ships and lightsabers and architecture that entices me. I could never really get into KotOR, or the Old Republic MMO, or Dawn of the Jedi, as we just keep seeing things that look like Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers over an over again. I know a lot of people love that about those periods, and more power to 'em. But for me, it breaks my disbelief suspension and feels tired. I want something different but still Star Wars, and Tales … gives that too me.

Ahem. But I rant/digress. It'll definitely have to wait for the Jedi book anyway… and a group of players that'll willingly suffer my enthusiastic TotJ madness gran_risa.gif

Other than waiting for the Jedi book it should be pretty easy to do though. Hyperdrvies are slower, lightsabers (maybe) a little less powerful, slightly different names for weapons. Other than that it's just writing up a bunch of stats for period specific things, and by the time the third book's out we should have enough core stats to do that easy. Heck, I'll prbably just be able to re-skin most of the stuff with barely any tweaks! I recommend this strategy for any time period.

To me if it doesn't have Stormtroopers and Darth Vader it isn't Star Wars (and it turns out I am remarkably puritanical about this), so I am entirely happy with it being all Rebellion era, but I do sorta wonder why it is like that. I kinda got the impression a lot of people liked the other periods!

(I also feel that they should put out books to tie in directly with video games and other products - I got the Force Unleashed book because I loved that game so much. Just what I wanted out of Star Wars.)

I would love to see them putting out era books or a era compilation book. That being said, we have all the Saga books and Wookiepedia; we can get by for a while.

This book is essentially a Scum and Villiany book. These sort of games fit in any era really well.

Clone Wars. There's a war on! Smugglers there be plenty of goods to smuggle. Pira…I mean privateers are needed. Corrupt officials on both sides to deal with, not to mention getting caught playing both sides. And for the scum with hearts of gold…you might just see the just cause in one side or another.

New Republic? The Remnant always wants your business. And that pesky NR Navy is not out in force on the Outer Rim…and those Jedi busy fighting the superweapon of the week.

Vong War. Lots of smuggling, privateering and exploitation stories to be told.

Legacy era….Rebellion Era rinse and repeat.

Golden Age of the Republic/Dark Age of the Republic. Sith and Mandos and Czerka! Oh my!

I personally loved the KOTOR period - though that might have more to do with the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed Revan as a hero/villain more than anything else. The story, too, was incredible, though I think it went downhill a little with KOTOR II (it wasn't a bad game, but the storyline was nothing near as good as the first).

I'm eager to create a hero like Revan using this system. I don't mean a Force-wielding bad-arse (can't do that without the third book! At least, not to his level), but more of a tactical, charismatic patriot. XD