Defeating Challenges - Question about Items and Allies

By STEFANOV73, in Runebound

Hallo everyones! A doubt!

Rules say:
"Sometimes you are instructed to take the Challenge card itself and it becomes an Item or Ally. These rewards are subject to all the rules and text that affect Items and Allies, with one important exception: These cards cannot be sold, dismissed, or lost, either randomly or as a result of being knocked out."

So that means you have to keep an ally (for example) till the end of the game? Even if he's killed?
And you cannot discard him to buy another one to replace it (if you have already 2 of them, of course) with a better or useful one?

Thank you for your kind answers!

STEFANOV73 said:

Hallo everyones! A doubt!

Rules say:
"Sometimes you are instructed to take the Challenge card itself and it becomes an Item or Ally. These rewards are subject to all the rules and text that affect Items and Allies, with one important exception: These cards cannot be sold, dismissed, or lost, either randomly or as a result of being knocked out."

So that means you have to keep an ally (for example) till the end of the game? Even if he's killed?
And you cannot discard him to buy another one to replace it (if you have already 2 of them, of course) with a better or useful one?

Thank you for your kind answers!

Hello,

first of all, that paragraph refers to Challenge Cards that become Items or Allies, not to Items and Allies represented on Market Cards. Examples are the Dragonlords thad become Dragon Runes, or the Yellow Encounter Card that becomes an Ally (IIRC the name is "A Question of Honor").

I'm sure you're asking about the words in italics. Such cards cannot be sold and they are not lost randomly or as a result of a knock-out, because they have no Gold Value. The current FAQ specified that cards that become Items (or Allies) are discarded only it they are the only Items (or Allies) available to be discarded. Challenge Cards that do not become Items or Allies are never discarded.

You are not forced to keep an Item or Ally that you do not wish to have or that you want to replace; I understand that the statement is unclear, especially with the word "dismiss". I think the rule was written like this to prevent players from discarding Dragon Runes and make the game last forever; but I would not read it as forcing you to keep an unwanted Ally, such as the Knight from the above mentioned Encounter Card. You can always discard Allies and Items to make room for something new, why would you keep this one? If you want to play strictly according to written rules (though not 100% clear), you can still use the Knight as a meat shield and let him die. It won't be too difficult to do that.

Thank u for your answer!

You are right I refer about the words in italics! However I wasn't able to find the clarification in the FAQ you suggest me.

Anyway I'll play the way you told me! Thank you again!

Ste

Sorry I found it. v2 of the FAQs! Thank u again!