For a free Beta!

By NAML, in General Discussion

NAML said:

Gentlemen,

I am a proud FFG client.

Your products have uncanny details, are fun to play and the company itself is very committed with the game community.

I was VERY excited that the Star Wars RPG game would be continued (or rather remade) by you.

I just heard the news on the announcement of Edge of the Empire and was heading straight to download a copy of the Beta version in order to read and give you guys an ASAP feedback…

It was with great surprise that I discovered that not only FFG was charging for the beta product but also it was almost U$ 30,00!

So, really, the idea is to charge us AND ask for feedback? o_O

I mean, I'd be GLAD to contribute with a symbolic donation to the Rebel cause, like U$ 5,00. Five, not thirty.

So I decided to write and see if there is any other sentient being that agrees with me. Maybe if enough voices join the chorus, we may be able to convince you guys to think this over. As a concrete example I give you the famous RPG Pathfinder - Beta version. It was free, the game developed with fans' help and is a giant on the field of fantasy. The final version of the product is sailing great, by the way.

Thanks for reading this.

May the Force be with us all.

Sincerely,

- Nelson Lemos

Tell you what, its a nice book and I am going to have fun playing it with my group, its $30 so what. Quit your belly aching and either buy it and play or don't and leave everyone else alone. It's like this on every forum on the net, every jerk who thinks they know how to run FFG and the Star Wars line has a stupid ass opinion about a book they know nothing about and mainly they complain about not wanting to pay for a beta or it's only worth $5.00 or should be free (which is really a complete game and very nice) compared to D&D Next which is a POS PDF. Not to mention, you don't have to report to FFG if you don't want to, unlike WoTC D&D Next Beta, which is required to get the download. So as to your post, no I don't agree with you.

eldath said:

But lets be honest, even with printing and copyright costs there is no way that the book costs $30. I believe the best way would be $30 outlay to get the book and (working on the assumption of $15 costs for fantasy flight including printing and copyright) and a $15 discount from the final version

Lets be real here, the copy right costs, alone, were enough to send Hasbro (WotC), running. I can't imagine what they might be, but Mongoose couldn't afford them, Weiss Productions couldn't afford them, Hasbro didn't see enough "black" with them, even Pazio, in its infant stages couldn't afford them (all noted by the CEOs of said companies) etc… Not only are they paying for the copy rights, but in making a great game, they opted to put out a beta, for feedback. With that said, they are not putting anything else out for the RPG this year, so they are paying for copy rights for something that are not even using for the year, (Yes the rights to minis, cards, and rpgs, are separate, as wizards dumped the minis line prior to the RPG line).

In an effort to make a better game, I support the price of the beta, fully. Now the shipping, is another story. They should have a media mail option, or something, as I could mail this same book for less then 3 dollars and have it get there at the same time.