Other races?

By Plushy, in Black Crusade

The core rulebook lists "Human" and "Space Marine" as races. Do you think we'll get others later?

I could see Dark Eldar coming in, with various Archetypes (Incubus, Haemonculus, etc) but they wouldn't play along well with the Alignment system. Rak'Gol worship Chaos, but are insane berzerkers. What am I missing?

It's always possible that Yu'vath survive within the Screaming Vortex. Primarily, I think you might be able to make use of 'primitive xenos' (from the RT product Koronus Bestiary) that are Chaos-aligned.

While a bit off-topic I think that a relatively interesting scenario could be to have the Heretics corrupt a previous "pure" race of primitive Xenos and turn these into pawns for their own quest for glory. All manner of enhancements could also be done to these Xenos by a Heretek of the warband. demonio.gif

Beastmen, Mutants and even (possibly) Daemons are another not-completely-impossible set of options.

WHat exactly do we know about the Yu'vath? i went digging for information but didnt find much

antijoke_13 said:

WHat exactly do we know about the Yu'vath? i went digging for information but didnt find much

They really like crystal weapons and (as far as the Imperium knows) are extinct.

Any love for Dark Ratlings? gran_risa.gif Tcho-Tcho style

callofcthulhutchotchoem.jpg

antijoke_13 said:

The Koronus Bestiary for Rogue Trader has a 13 page section on the Yu'Vath, including write ups on four different constructs. There are hints and snippets scattered throughout the Dark Heresy background as well, but I'm pretty sure the KB is the single biggest block o' published text on the Yu'Vath.

Here's the short version: Yu'Vath are Warp-worshipping xenos. Their empire was very ancient, hundreds of thousands of years old at least. Yu'Vath are confirmed extinct in the Calixis sector, and believed and hoped to be extinct everywhere… yeah, good luck with that. Yu'Vath sites are also found scattered across the Koronus expanse. Their technology draws strongly on the warp, and often has a limited ability to self-repair. Yu'Vath items look like amalgams of crystals and fossilised bone, often crackling with dark lightning. The items frequently have the ability to manipulate the minds of sentients in their vicinity, and there are numerous accounts of some unwitting fool picking up a Yu'Vath item and subsequently being dominated and forced to fulfill an aeons old agenda. Also, the Yu'Vath had many slave races, who were "modified" to be more "suitable" for whatever blasphemous task the Yu'Vath wanted them to perform. Some of these slave races do survive to the present day, including two in the Calixis sector itself.

Oh, and those four constructs in the KB? They're pretty **** hideous by Rogue Trader standards. You'd best have a couple CSM's along if you plan on fighting one.

Cheers,

- V.

Chastity said:

Beastmen, Mutants and even (possibly) Daemons are another not-completely-impossible set of options.

You read my wish list!

Gurkhal said:

While a bit off-topic I think that a relatively interesting scenario could be to have the Heretics corrupt a previous "pure" race of primitive Xenos and turn these into pawns for their own quest for glory. All manner of enhancements could also be done to these Xenos by a Heretek of the warband. demonio.gif

That is a sick, dispicable and truly horrid idea!

Mind if i use it? babeo.gif

I could see Sslyth (from the latest Codex: Dark Eldar ) making a viable Black Crusade PC race: serpentine mercenaries who's culture has fallen to corruption…

DESslyth.jpg

A THOUSAND MILLION TIMES YES ON THE SSLYTH

Stuntie said:

Gurkhal said:

That is a sick, dispicable and truly horrid idea!

Mind if i use it? babeo.gif

Not at all. I'm only happy to be able to help a fellow heretic.

Adeptus-B said:

I could see Sslyth (from the latest Codex: Dark Eldar ) making a viable Black Crusade PC race: serpentine mercenaries who's culture has fallen to corruption…

DESslyth.jpg

Oi, nice mini. By the way, you do realise that the Sslyth got a full write-up and official stats in The Koronus Bestiary (Rogue Trader), don't you? Rogue Trader seems to be the the go-to game for xenos, playable and otherwise.

Cheers,

- V.

I would kill for more Eldar-centric supplements dealing with their interactions with the warp, their corruption, mutations, etc.

Is it just me, or do the Sslyth look a hell of alot like the Laer race that the Emperor's Children wiped out during the great crusade?

Karnage1992 said:

Is it just me, or do the Sslyth look a hell of alot like the Laer race that the Emperor's Children wiped out during the great crusade?

i'm glad i'm not the only one who had that notion.

I was recently reading the book Fulgrim and then just looking at the Sslyth model I'm like "hey! it's one of the Laer!" lol

There's also the Enoulians from Dark Heresy's Creatures Anathema. The remains of a shattered alien civilisation who work as mercenaries but always against the Imperium and in recent times they are ever more often sighted side by side with the forces of Chaos…

There are a bunch of Chaos-worshipping xenos in the Gaunt's Ghosts novel Traitor General . I think it's weird that Games Workshop has never developed 'Chaos Xenos' as a troop type in the tabletop game…

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Loxatl

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Loxatl

Even if not as a playable race, they're a great start for minions

I was hoping to get a big dark eldar write up in the slaanesh book, same way necrons got one in the tzeentch book, possibly with rules for using them as player characters somehow. Then I found out rogue trader already had a whole dark eldar book, and kinda figured that would be a no.

Still, I'm holding out hope that after the 4 main books are done, maybe with chaos undived as well, we could get some more obscure source books, like dark mechanicus and especially chaos xenos.

I don't actually have the books but I believe Rogue Trader have some rules for playing Xenos characters, Orks, Kroot and Dark Eldar I think.

With the the corruption rules would it be possible for one of these to fall to chaos (for reaching the 100 corruption threshold) and if this was possible would it be possible to re-jig this so you could use one of these archetypes as a starting Black Crusade character?

I am surprised FFG haven't had more of a xenos flavour to their lines, with all books except BC focusing on the Imperium and even BC only having human based characters (even if you do quickly become a pretty cool mutant).

I would love to see a line come out based on the Tau Empire, there would be an enormouse potential for unique and interesting xenos races, plus pretty much any character you had before would still be an option as the Tau have plenty of human auxileries.

Adeptus-B said:

There are a bunch of Chaos-worshipping xenos in the Gaunt's Ghosts novel Traitor General . I think it's weird that Games Workshop has never developed 'Chaos Xenos' as a troop type in the tabletop game…

yeah, it's kinda strange when ya think of it, iother then the eldar/Dark eldar thing, it seems all the mainline xenos are conspicious for their LACK of interactions with chaos

BrianDavion said:

Adeptus-B said:

yeah, it's kinda strange when ya think of it, iother then the eldar/Dark eldar thing, it seems all the mainline xenos are conspicious for their LACK of interactions with chaos

I'd argue that the Necrons have fairly active (but not lively!) interactions with Chaos.