Excited!

By Damocles, in General Discussion

Man, I love me some Star Warsie Goodness!! I have never played the other RPG's made by FF, this is my first, but I am incredibly excited about the way they are taking it.

1. Tight focus on the Outer Rim, an excellent place to begin.

2. Lack of jedi. Everyone wants to play one, this takes that part out, keeps things simple.

3. The feel of the product looks great. More gritty and down to earth. Me likes.

Is anyone else as excited about this as me?

I certainly am. :) I've played FFG products before, and they have - by and large - been a personal pleasure to play.

Eagerly waiting for my copy of the rulebook to arrive. XD

Agreed, and agreed. Quite excited.

I'm so hyped about this I joined a games forum! I can't say enough about the custom dice, the "narrative dice pool."

Waiting until the third installment to even touch Jedi… Damocles is right, an elegant solution.

The narrative dice pool in Warhammer Fantasy is what has me playing anything except Call of Cthulhu and Sorcerer these days, and it's what a space-age RPG deserves, and Star Wars is the richest space-age setting we've got.

Not to mention, once the Jedi installment is out, the only way to play the Force is with a narrative game mechanic like this. Right now, I use the Dogs in the Vineyard system, but for Jedi (Jedi in the Vineyard). It's like a narrative dice pool… it might be the only dice pool more narrative than FFG's, and it's a gorgeous system. The catch is that the game concept is such that ONLY Jedi are possible. There's no room in that system for other kinds of characters. Still, if WFRP is any example, I'll end up preferring FFG's.

One thing: let's hope they don't try to balance Jedi against all the other sorts of characters. As a supergeek friend criticizes (I am but a geek adept), it was WotC's big mistake to try balancing Jedi with all the other classes. Jedi are more powerful than others, period.

I wonder how they might open it up to more species?

Does this book not ship until 8/27?

I was so thrilled with the announcement I got 2 copies of the book…

What is insane to me is… I just started DMing a campaign earlier this year. I pull out a ton of online D6 resources… complied with New D6 ideas, came up with some new stuff and cobbled together a new D6 System that We started using earlier this year.

And what was the concept for the campaign? Three years BBY outlaws on the outer rim. Hahaha. It is like they tailor made it for me to switch the campaign over.

I picked up the book at Gen Con, reading now. So far very cool. SO excited to get going on it. We are meeting next month (My friends are all in different states)… there is no way I am going to be ready to run, but I will be able to start talking to them about it and perhaps look at some conversion ideas.

I agree: Jedi are, by the established setting, a cut above the rest. Players might not like this, having become used to balance and fairness, but that's just how the universe was written. I mean, can you imagine Han Solo REALLY being able to take down the Emperor, no matter how many years of adventures he packs under his belt? Sure it might happen in fanfiction, but if it happened in a comic or novel, we'd undoubtedly be skeptical.

Yes, my friends and I were just talking about that particular conundrum earlier this week actually. I have GMd all of the previous versions of the game and as I was describing this new SWRPG I was so excited about his most important question was, 'Will Jedi be as awesome as they should be?" He had bad memories of being a level 1 Jedi, swiping at a Stormtrooper with his lightsaber, and dealing a pitiful 1d8 damage that didn't even kill his target. "If you are going to hit something with a lightsaber," he said, "then it needs to have a pretty good reason why it survived that hit."

His comment really goes to highlight the problem with trying to balance Jedi out with non-Jedi. If we are going to do it right it seems like Jedi would be some sort of "prestige" class that opens up only at level 10 or so, and only if you follow a feat tree or something that prepares your character for taking on that role. I mean, I don't have any problem with a character being as bad-ass as Han Solo and being able to keep up with his Jedi wife just fine, but trying to drag the Jedi concept down into what I call "the padwan justification" just ends up making Jedi lame…

Greedo is Good said:

Does this book not ship until 8/27?

I sincerely hope that is not the case, otherwise I might just cancel the order, wait till a retailer here gets it and save a load of money on shipping.

Any official word from FFG on shipping date would be very welcome.

I'm really concerned now.

I'm really forward to this game. I haven't being this exited about a SW RPG product since the Lords of the Expanse announcement. :P

Ok. Hi guys.

First: I am a huge FFG fan, I have all the Dark Heresy, Death Watch, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade books to date.

I however am concerned. Where in my humble opinion, FFG Got it right with the above games, I am slightly comfused

If I read it correctly: 3 books?

You want to capture a universe as big as epic as Warhammers Universe in 3 books? Really?

For me it goes: the first three suggested books: then: supplements like: different planets?, the important ones at least?

The Dark Side? Anyone else wanna play a sith? Droids? Clone commandos? Before they go bad? This game can be epic?

Why wouldn't FFG do for star wars what they have done for warhammer? I am seriously comfused by this.

I'm a little confused by your post… but we will do what we can do.

The thing is, if you want all of the things that you mentioned, and they are the reason you are playing, then there is a whole line of SAGA products made just for you that would work great! This game is about the outer rim, it seems like they say that every which way they can, including actually saying those very words, "this game focuses on the Outer Rim, the Han Solo and Boba Fett experience, for players who want that."

Secondly, while three books have been announced… that means jack. they could produce more, they could cop out and produce less. I'm not a prophet, I'm just excited about what I know, and what I know is that an RPG book will be showing up at my door some time soon and it's going to have lots of awesome things in it about Star Wars and crap. :)

I can't wait to dude, I just hope something as big as star wars even the outer rim experience is comming in more then 3 books.

But I can't wait

I hope they let you play any number of species you want to play. Even little furry ones or giant big furry ones. lol I wonder what species do people want to see in this game.

First session tomorrow night.

• 2 1/2 sheets of dice stickers printed, cut out and affixed to plain Chessex dice - check.
  • Android dice app installed - check (hey, you can never have too many dice, right?)
  • Nice black and white tokens sourced for the destiny pool - check.
  • Some red/blue tokens sourced for enemy/PC ship/vehicle speed - check.
  • Character sheets and ship sheet printed - check (and thanks Fechik!)
  • Book read through once - almost, just have to finish the GMing, Adversaries and actual adventure chapter…
  • Latest version of Reference Sheets completed - almost, just adding a small section on the Force.

To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement… I can't remember the last time I was looking forward this much to running a game!

:)

Bah, here I'm hoping for Jedi to be balanced with Non Force Users. I really wish that characters from all three books are balanced with each other - and easily mixed into the same party. Might spike my interest in the game! ^^

At any rate, even if the system may not be for me, I'm hoping we all end up with another superbly designed Star Wars RPG game! :D

ViniciusZoio said:

Bah, here I'm hoping for Jedi to be balanced with Non Force Users. I really wish that characters from all three books are balanced with each other - and easily mixed into the same party. Might spike my interest in the game! ^^

At any rate, even if the system may not be for me, I'm hoping we all end up with another superbly designed Star Wars RPG game! :D

Um, yes and no. The "Jedi" are most likely going to start at a lower level, for balance issues. Like if you got a guy playing a bounty hunter, start him at 10 (guess), and put him with the first level jedi. Otherwise the Jedi is going to outshine the bounty hunter, almost always.

We are under no promise to ever get jedi, the force book is just that…. Paraphrased: Force Users (is what the descriptor says), trying to live up the the standards of the jedi. As I read it, that doesn't say "Jedi" player character, but I would doubt they would leave them out completely. It does fit the setting (time period) though.

gribble said:

First session tomorrow night.

• 2 1/2 sheets of dice stickers printed, cut out and affixed to plain Chessex dice - check.
  • Android dice app installed - check (hey, you can never have too many dice, right?)
  • Nice black and white tokens sourced for the destiny pool - check.
  • Some red/blue tokens sourced for enemy/PC ship/vehicle speed - check.
  • Character sheets and ship sheet printed - check (and thanks Fechik!)
  • Book read through once - almost, just have to finish the GMing, Adversaries and actual adventure chapter…
  • Latest version of Reference Sheets completed - almost, just adding a small section on the Force.

To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement… I can't remember the last time I was looking forward this much to running a game!

Right, finished off the two "to dos" above, and finally:

• Created opening crawl for the adventure, Crates of Krayts - check

Hey gribble --- that was great, but for something more portable, there is an ipad app named crawl creator that does this -- i hope this helps (one caveat though, you have to have the soundtrack in your itunes)

before someone asks, i dont know if there is anything for androids, as my nexus 7 is at home recharging, and i dont see one on googleplay

c8tiff said:

for something more portable, there is an ipad app named crawl creator that does this

Heh, unfortunately in this case, more portable for me means flash as I have both a PC laptop and a Google Nexus, both of which can handle flash quite nicely.

And I don't have any sort of iDevice, so anything that requires an iDevice app to create I won't be doing. If there was a nice HTML5 version however (truly portable), I'd be all over that.