When in the Rebellion Era?

By KjetilKverndokken, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

This time period is vast, it starts after Episode 3 after all, and actually continous past episode 6 - Will the book only cover the exact period in episode 4-6 or actually do the whole era?

I do hope for the latter as that makes this time period the ten times more interesting. Other then that my favorite is the Old Republic.

Its a period of at least 40 years all in all, maybe closer to 50 if one consider Dark Empire 1 and 2.

To my understanding, the period between Episodes III and IV is actually a separate 'era' known as "The Dark Times"; the Rebellion Era is usually shown to be the time stretching from the Alliance's declaration of Rebellion, and their first few skirmishes with the Empire at large.

I could very easily be wrong, of course, but that's how I've understood it so far.

Shakespearian_Soldier said:

To my understanding, the period between Episodes III and IV is actually a separate 'era' known as "The Dark Times"; the Rebellion Era is usually shown to be the time stretching from the Alliance's declaration of Rebellion, and their first few skirmishes with the Empire at large.

I could very easily be wrong, of course, but that's how I've understood it so far.

Yes, you may be right - but it could easily with the info in the books concerning rebel era and tech be in those times to I think :)

Agreed. :) I know that I plan on setting in at the end quarter of the Dark Times - my current Star Wars campaign, an online play-by-post, is set two years after Episode III, and its planned ending takes place just prior to the Rebellion Era. I use the WEG system for this game; the follow on stories I have in mind will probably make use of the FFG system instead.

KjetilKverndokken said:

This time period is vast, it starts after Episode 3 after all, and actually continous past episode 6 - Will the book only cover the exact period in episode 4-6 or actually do the whole era?

I do hope for the latter as that makes this time period the ten times more interesting. Other then that my favorite is the Old Republic.

As mentioned, the Rebellion Era officially and canonically starts directly before the Battle of Yavin and goes until the formation of the New Republic in 4 ABY.

The game, according to the devs at GenCon, actually covers the period of time between the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Hoth (so about 3 years).

I'd be surprised if the game was so timeline focused that you couldn't expand it out by a few years on either end, though.

Yeah, in my experience it hasn't been that hard to run a game in another era altogether, even when material isn't provided for that specific era. I ran a KotOR campaign in Saga Edition before I had access to Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide and I'm still alive.

But I'm thinking I might just play it as suggested, in the early Rebellion Era, just to see what the devs had in mind for the game.

Same here. :) Helps that my desired campaign kicks off just after my current one ends - right at the time of the Rebellion Era.

I agree with awayputurwpn, Its nice to have the source book, but nothing beats a good imagination. A pretty picture and reskinned stormtrooper or thug stat block can be almost anything.

I believe "The Dark Times" is the era between the two trilogies actually. Though I might be wrong too, but I hope not, my D6 campaign is set in 3 BBY and I have continually stated to my players it is the Dark Times Era. Haha

According to the Key Note Event, they are planning on fleshing out most of the Rebellion Era, which would encompass all of the original trilogy.

Really it is kind of not important. There is plenty of resources online for info on any era anyway.

BrashFink said:

I believe "The Dark Times" is the era between the two trilogies actually.

That's what I meant, yeah. :) The twenty year (?) period between Episode III and IV (when The Force Unleashed was set).

OH GEEZZ… HAHA sorry. I misread the roman numerals HAHA. Sorry!

Shakespearian_Soldier said:

I'd be surprised if the game was so timeline focused that you couldn't expand it out by a few years on either end, though.

Considering the Alliance come New Republic fights the Empire for good few year before the OT and another 20 odd years after these core RPG books should be sufficient for a good chunk of the timeline

I believe I heard the fellow giving the demo at GenCon say that the game was set after the Battle of Yavin. The book states that the game is set during "the height of the Rebel Alliance's struggle against the Galactic Empire". Assumedly your stories can take place anywhere between the end of Episode IV and Episode VI.