New Preview: Assemble Your Squad

By Budgernaut, in X-Wing

Cool update! I was just thinking last night about making a team that puts Dreis and Darklighter together. Dreis can give his focus token to Darklighter, who can use it to help avoid the enemy's laser when he forces the opponent to target him. I'm excited to try out the first team they posted in this article.

I would eventually like to see epically huge games like were organized for WoG…one reeeeally long table with many players and hundreds of ships(total).

I am starting to worry that I did not buy enough minis. ;)

I hate to say it, but we really need more expansions for diversity. I hope the game takes off (haha) and we can get some more awesome fighters.

Hmm, may have to pick up a 3rd Y-wing at Celebration.

Thanks,
Duncan

i plan to get the advanced TIE and 3 TIE expansions as well as the core set when it gets released in the UK

Looks like I'll definitely be getting 2 core sets now. Good to see the various special skills working together, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it all and try out some of these combos.

I am a little worried about how many Academy Pilot cards are in the starter box. I am signed up for the tornament at Gen Con and I have already been toying arround with a few lists. The tornament rules specivfically forbid proxis, I was planning on buying 2 copies of the starter and fieldsing at least three academy pilots, but if I only get one card per starter set, I might not be allowed to do that.

I think my first buy quantity has just increased somewhat… :P

Now looking at:

2x Core Set

2 x Tie advanced

1 x X wing

2 x Y wing

By my reckoning, this works out to roughly 120- 150 points per side (before any upgrades) so should allow me and friends to field roughly 200 point fleets at most. Of course this would, to some extent, leave you with fewer choices… so maybe its better to field 100-150 points and have lots of options… one of my friends is buying at least 1 core set as well, so I'm now looking forwards to epic sized battles!

What playspace size do people think I would need for this to a) field the maximum number of units possible with this (around 4 Ties, 2 Advanced, 3 X-wings, 2 Y-wings) and b) a 150 point odd army each?

Anyone getting much more than this at first?

BoopbeepBoop

Hrathen said:

I am a little worried about how many Academy Pilot cards are in the starter box. I am signed up for the tornament at Gen Con and I have already been toying arround with a few lists. The tornament rules specivfically forbid proxis, I was planning on buying 2 copies of the starter and fieldsing at least three academy pilots, but if I only get one card per starter set, I might not be allowed to do that.

Based on my analysis of the previews so far, it looks like the Starter will come with two of each non-unique TIE pilot. It is the only logical way to get as many pilots for the Imperial side without making a ton of special guys. So I would expect the have 2 Academy, 2 Obsidian, and 2 Black Squadron pilots per starter.

Thanks,

Duncan

The more I think about it, I wish FFG would post the full text of all the cards and lists of what is in each set. People really could use that for GenCon, both to get ready for the tournament and to help them know what to buy. It is hard to decide what type of squardons to build aside from the example squadrons when you don't know all the cards abilities. There is at least one advanced pilot we have not seem much of yet and I suspect at least one more too.

Please post more data FFG.

Thanks,

Duncan

vadersson said:

Hrathen said:

Based on my analysis of the previews so far, it looks like the Starter will come with two of each non-unique TIE pilot. It is the only logical way to get as many pilots for the Imperial side without making a ton of special guys. So I would expect the have 2 Academy, 2 Obsidian, and 2 Black Squadron pilots per starter.

Thanks,

Duncan

I really hope you are right. It would be sad if I had to buy extra starter sets, just so I could get more of the low level pilots I want to put in my swarm.

The starter pilots are in the TIE Fighter/X-Wing blister as well. Though after the first 1-2 of those you're not really gaining anything purchasing multiple blisters over extra core sets.