2 players 1st Scenario success

By tamsyn, in Arkham Horror League

We've just played and finished with a success on our first try. We played with Gloria and Harvey. We can attribute our victory to:

1. Getting the dragon's eye and stopping a couple of mythos cards
2. Gloria getting the .45 and Wither (through an encounter), the Lore skill and mists of ry'leh
3. Carefully monitoring the monster level/terror level to keep it at 0
4. Harvey getting the Voice of Ra spell

On completion we had 2 gates open. Made a nice change not to have to close them.

I guess we could have farmed it for a few more rounds as the doom track was at 8 and got some more monster trophies, but you never know what can happen so we thought it best to quit while we were ahead.

Who says the young ones have all the fun?

tamsyn said:

1. Getting the dragon's eye and stopping a couple of mythos cards

Hope those 2 were independent of each other, as Dragon's Eye works on Location and Gate cards (i.e. AH and OW encounter decks)?

What he said... The Dragon's Eye doesn't work on Mythos cards. How did you stop Mythos cards?

Otherwise, great win. It's pretty cool to win with two characters without having to fight the GOO.

Thats what you get for typing while tidying up AH. I meant other world encounter cards not mythos cards.

Nothing gets past you guys ;)

tamsyn said:

Nothing gets past you guys ;)

Yeah, my brain is wired funny. Or maybe I have a Madness card I didn't know about lengua.gif .

You notice someone using a Dragon's Eye to do something it can't possibly do. You shiver at the implications. Make a (luck - 2) check. If you pass, you realize it was just an error in communication, if you fail, lose 2 sanity... too much Arkahm in a week can do strange things to you.

Its times like these you wish you were Mandy...

Twilight said:

You notice someone using a Dragon's Eye to do something it can't possibly do. You shiver at the implications. Make a (luck - 2) check. If you pass, you realize it was just an error in communication, if you fail, lose 2 sanity... too much Arkahm in a week can do strange things to you.

Actually, haven't played AH since mid-December sorpresa.gif , when I completed my 5th and 6th rotations, getting me to 72 games played.

I have no idea how many i've played - def play more now we have the league. I have to say the long set up time means sometimes my other board games (BSG!) wins.

tamsyn said:

I have no idea how many i've played - def play more now we have the league. I have to say the long set up time means sometimes my other board games (BSG!) wins.

OT: Why are you playing AH with only 2 players, but seem to play BSG (Battlestar Galactica, right?) even though that requires 3+ (best with 4/5+?)? No cross-interest with people?

You raise an interesting point.

We play AH with 2 because there is me on maternity leave and my unemployed friend. We have the time off during the day to play (night times are for tv, rpg and WAR). My husband and two other friends work full time and shifts, and it is hard enough to organise a weekly session of Dark Heresy/WFRP/D&D, let alone the time for AH. Occasionally we play BSG when no one has the brain power to GM a game, or a key player for that game can't make it. We were going to set up a 4 player team in the league as well but someone brought over the Marvel Superheroes rpg which we tried and it was fun - stones instead of dice. Why didn'it catch on?

Hopefully the league will be over before my friend gets a job or we'll be stuffed!

tamsyn said:

You raise an interesting point.

We play AH with 2 because there is me on maternity leave and my unemployed friend. We have the time off during the day to play (night times are for tv, rpg and WAR). My husband and two other friends work full time and shifts, and it is hard enough to organise a weekly session of Dark Heresy/WFRP/D&D, let alone the time for AH. Occasionally we play BSG when no one has the brain power to GM a game, or a key player for that game can't make it. We were going to set up a 4 player team in the league as well but someone brought over the Marvel Superheroes rpg which we tried and it was fun - stones instead of dice. Why didn'it catch on?

Hopefully the league will be over before my friend gets a job or we'll be stuffed!

I actually ran the Marvel RPG four years back or so. I felt the game system was pretty good, but my biggest problem was I allowed one of the players an ability (time manipulation) that I really, really should not have allowed. I had wanted to expose the game to some new gamers, and didn't follow my normal rules for GMing. The guys all had fun (despite my attempts to keep the Time Lord under control), and after about 6 months I ended the game -- but not before I got to run a Super-Hero cross-dimensional adventure where the players were sent to an alternate Earth where the Nazis won WW II, and Count Victor Von Doom worked with the Nazis. I had a blast reinventing Reed Richards and Tony Stark (among others) as underground rebels in a world where they never got powers.

Since we run the league at our store we always do an 8 investigator team. We've even had times where we've had more players than 8, so either my wife, myself or both have sat out games.

that sounds like a great game. We were all playing teenagers at the xmen academy, called upon to help the real xmen. The only slightly broken thing about it was someone took the forcefield for free option so they had 15 free stones in defence all the time. Then again I took presience, which is the most fantastic ability. We looked through the rules and worked out that you could really munchkin it if you took presience, lucky and leadership. No one would ever fail again!

I can't even imagine the craziness of an 8 player game. Surely the turns take forever (unless everyone knows the rules really well).

tamsyn said:

I can't even imagine the craziness of an 8 player game. Surely the turns take forever (unless everyone knows the rules really well).

We know the rules quite well by now, and have even taught the game ot new players in the middle of the league. Hopefully we can finish it tonight, since the first wave of scores has been posted (Congrats,btw, on your 22).

Back to Marvel, I set my campaign right after the events of Grant Morrison's New X-men run (where Magneto wrecks havok on New York City). It was a blast.

Its funny there are people we play with who still mess up the turn order, though it is not surprising. Took me ages to get the hang of the bits on the back of the monster tiles.

22 seems to be a middling score. Must try harder and beat the English! :)

Our game was set at the same time as the first film. It is quite handy to have a reference like that. I wish I had the time or money to read more, but I am trying to concentrate on the backlog of paperbacks I have. Also, I bought a new rpg a year ago and I haven't run it yet, so am determined to do so, so got to write that up. Check Aeternal Legends out, I think it has a great premise:

www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13578.phtml

Just browsed over the intro bits; looks promising. Reminds me of a Modern Day Heroic Fantast campaign I was working on in early 2000 using the Over The Edge system by Atlas Games. Still got the notes, too. I have way too many rpg campaigns that I want to run.

I'm a huge comic books fan, primarily Marvel, and spent half my paychecks on comics back around 1985-1992. Dropped out of the scene (other than a few titles, like Sandman and works by favorite writers and/or artists) and now buy somewhat regularily, though mostly the big crosovers and a few select titles (Marvel's Ultimates line is awesome). I buy alot of graphic novels nowadays.

As much as we play AH, most of the rules we finally got the hang of during the league. Of course, it helped that more than one person was rading the rules. WE still sometimes forget that simply getting LiT&S doesn't make you lose half your stuff, and we still play the game where we don't look at a gate's destination until a) we move to that location or b) someone is going to be LiT&S unless one of the gates on the board matches the player's current location. It makes the game harder, but we like the mystery element it adds to the game.

I used to read tons of comics - sandman, hellblazer, transmetropolitan, Planetary. Occasionally I will go online and buy some graphic novels. These days it is just Angel:ATF and Dork Tower.

I'm just going to start a comics off-topic thread, since now we're hi-jacking this one. After all, wasn't it us going way off topic that prompted the request in the first place. lol

if you can't go off topic in an off topic forum, where can you?