Master Chirurgeon Question

By Gaire, in Game Mechanics

I finally got to start my playtest today, and one of my players made a Medic. With the 400 experience I awarded tonight, he purchased the Master Chirurgeon Talent. The second half of the Talent allows First Aid to restore 2 wounds to Heavily and Critically Wounded patients instead of 1. However, with the recent errata to the Medicae skill (allowing healing of Heavily and Critically Wounded patients as Lightly Wounded, but with penalties to the Medicae), this part of Master Chirurgeon is useless. How should this talent be adjusted to reflect this rules change? Remove the -10 to heal Heavily Wounded and reduce the penalty of Critically Wounded?

Gaire said:

I finally got to start my playtest today, and one of my players made a Medic. With the 400 experience I awarded tonight, he purchased the Master Chirurgeon Talent. The second half of the Talent allows First Aid to restore 2 wounds to Heavily and Critically Wounded patients instead of 1. However, with the recent errata to the Medicae skill (allowing healing of Heavily and Critically Wounded patients as Lightly Wounded, but with penalties to the Medicae), this part of Master Chirurgeon is useless. How should this talent be adjusted to reflect this rules change? Remove the -10 to heal Heavily Wounded and reduce the penalty of Critically Wounded?

All that would do is increase their medicae skill by an additional 10% (the talent already gives +10% if i remeber correctly) which is ok but not that great. I ruled that is restored 2 wounds instead of 1 (as of the orriginal rules) but then the medic rolled a 05 with something like seven degrees of sucess and managed to go from 6 on the critical damage chart to full health (with all the proper equiptment and good stats and skills it was near impossible for him the fail….Even from the penaly for self administering, on his left hand which had all 5 fingers broken…. :( I just declared that he snapped them all back in place with a flick of his hand) so i dont think that works. It should do more then just give a bonus to medicae, being a talent.

I just remove the "instead of 1" wording, and just say that Master Chirugens just heal one more wound to heavily or critically wounded patients.

KommissarK said:

I just remove the "instead of 1" wording, and just say that Master Chirugens just heal one more wound to heavily or critically wounded patients.

that's hardy a Master Chirurgeon.

how about 2 instead of 1 wound per successlevel?

I'd give Master Chirurgeon one additional point healed whenever the target would regain wounds as well as removing the chance to inflict damage when treating critically wounded patients.

Musclewizard said:

I'd give Master Chirurgeon one additional point healed whenever the target would regain wounds as well as removing the chance to inflict damage when treating critically wounded patients.

That sounds a bit better, One additional degree of success on a medicae test (see las barrage talent) would always help, Removing the chance to inflict damage sounds good but might mean that a single medic could treat 100+ paitents with no assistants via extended care and stop any of them from dieing which may be a problem (even if they dont heal) roleplay wise. Maybe instead, for every 2 degrees of failure instead of 1 degree of failure a paintent takes a wound. Or the medic can treat ten times his intelligence bonus (ie air of authority) before taking penalties.