Component Limitations and Squad Building

By haslo, in X-Wing

The squad building rules on page have this Note: "If playing with more than 100 squad points per player, be sure to check the Components Limitations section on page 21." This very page 21 of the rules says in the "Components Limitations" section that "all cards, plastic ships, bases, and pegs are limited by the quantities included in this game box."

Now … that makes sense when it comes to damage cards. Exclusively, to me - or am I mistaken?

• Plastic ships … that clearly doesn't make sense in this context. Can't have more than 100 squad points with two TIEs or one X-Wing.
  • Bases and pegs, the same thing. Makes no sense at all in this context.
  • Cards, there are different kinds: Ship cards (doesn't make sense), damage cards (does make some sense because of their distribution), upgrades (and here I'm confused).

When it comes to damage cards, I guess I'll take the freedom to shuffle two piles from different base games together for games that have so many point that it's foreseeable that one deck will not suffice, whatever the official rules are, and separate them again for 100 point games lengua.gif

What I'm mostly wondering about is the upgrades. So is there a limit to how many non-unique (as per the "Unique Names" definition on page 18) cards of a given type I'm allowed to include in my squad after all then? Or is that just an oversight of the rules team? Or am I missing something?

Yeah, I think the inclusion of "plastic ships" there is clearly a mistake. Possibly one of the few mistakes that FFG allowed to slip into the rules. Still, use a tiny bit of common sense, and this isn't a big deal.

as i read it you can have as many upgrade non unique cards per ship as you like as long as the ship can use them

sverigesson said:

Yeah, I think the inclusion of "plastic ships" there is clearly a mistake. Possibly one of the few mistakes that FFG allowed to slip into the rules. Still, use a tiny bit of common sense, and this isn't a big deal.

Plastic bits clearly aren't a big deal indeed. As I said, I'm more confused by the "all cards" part, and in particular, how and whether this applies to upgrade cards. My understanding was also that as long that the ship can use them, it's allowed, but this section had me confused.

i read this rule to mean 'if you dont phsyically own it you cant have it'

for example in the descent 2.0 rules it says that if you dont have enough health or fatigue tokens you can use something else as a marker.

so shuffling 2 damage decks together shouldnt be a problem as they all have criticals on the back, rather than some having them and some not, so you could get too many out in a row. Also when it says if it isnt included in the box i think 'the box' is intended to mean the game and its expansions, and extar core set, and whatever else as long it is by ffg and labelled x wing.

Based on the tournament rules, I think that it would be better to give each player his own set of damage cards. That way the probablities of any one card are the same for both players. This seems to be what the tournament rules suggest.

Thanks,

Duncan

I read this as two clarifications:

1) No proxies - you have to have the original ships, cards etc.

2) The damage deck is THE deck to use. Don't build a separate deck from multiple starters. Expansions do not have damage cards so this makes sense so far. I could see a new product called Damage Deck #2 with new damage effects / severity just like the old Supremacy expansions.