New Questions about : Remote bombs, Eva , Melee attacks and reinforcements

By kalavera2, in Tannhauser

Hi,

in my last game, the bomb of Tala created a lot of questions at our game table. The description enables Tala to place the bomb on a circle to detonated it later.

1.) This led directly to the following questions and discussions :

- When is Tala allowed to detonated the bomb ? Only when it is her turn ? Does Overwatch enable her to do it anytime ?

In compare to some other items, can the placed bomb be forced to explode by shooting at it ? This question got imminent, while Barrie Brown attacked a character of mine, standing next to the bomb (so technically Barry would have been able to shoot at the bomb too).

The most important question about the remote bomb is : Why should I place it and wait for someone to run into it ? Due to its non-blocking nature, its even not so usefull to block an item or path with it. For me, the only use could be to save my entrence point, which is worth 5 points in "King of the Hill" game.
How can I make use of the bomb as remote in a usefull sense ?

2) An issue, which I could not clearly solve with the rulebook is according to melee attacks. Am I forced to conduct a melee attack while standing adjecent to another character, or can I still attack him with ranged weapons if available ?

3.) A specific situation occured, while attacking with Evas Whip. Attacking a union character standing 2 circles away from Eva (so one empty cicrle in between) is possible, but is this still allowed around a corner and through a door ? Playing the Castle map, and starting from the stairways entrance, there are directly two doors. Passing the first one, entering the purple-like long floor path, the uper situation might occur. As the attack of Eva is still a melee attack, even while not adjacent to her opponent, the attack might be carried out even through a door. The most difficult question was: If it would be allowed to attack through one door (when the path is connected), can I attack even to two doors, like it would be possible on the Castle map ? It might be a wired, but I think, that it is possible to hit somebody with a whip through an open door, even while standing 90 degrees rotated to it. I hope this questions is not to strange, but the situation occured 3 times in a game :-)

4.) Playing a 3 Command point game mode, like "King of the Hill" , it is possible to bring constantly reinforcements with new grenades or different packs. If some captures any point (action, entrypoint or objective) he has to end the turn of the "leading" character. When capturing the entry point, this rule hit me hard. The enemy can bring in reinforcements which are able to attack my leader with everything they can, in case they player wins the initiative roll. Should this still played this way and is there really no limit to reinforcements (the old rules limited it to still one reinforcement per troup).

Thanks for all your support. This game is awesome!

Kala

When is Tala allowed to detonated the bomb ? Only when it is her turn ? Does Overwatch enable her to do it anytime ?
It’s been some time since I last played Tala and I don’t have the rules in front of me now, but I’m quite sure Tala may only detonate the bomb while being the active character. I’m absulutely certain she can’t detonate the bomb while on overwatch, as overwatch only allows attacks.

In compare to some other items, can the placed bomb be forced to explode by shooting at it ?
I’d say no because I have never read anything about it.

An issue, which I could not clearly solve with the rulebook is according to melee attacks. Am I forced to conduct a melee attack while standing adjecent to another character, or can I still attack him with ranged weapons if available ?
If you are sharing a path with the target, you can also target it with a ranged attack.

A specific situation occured, while attacking with Evas Whip. Attacking a union character standing 2 circles away from Eva (so one empty cicrle in between) is possible, but is this still allowed around a corner and through a door ? Playing the Castle map, and starting from the stairways entrance, there are directly two doors. Passing the first one, entering the purple-like long floor path, the uper situation might occur. As the attack of Eva is still a melee attack, even while not adjacent to her opponent, the attack might be carried out even through a door. The most difficult question was: If it would be allowed to attack through one door (when the path is connected), can I attack even to two doors, like it would be possible on the Castle map ? It might be a wired, but I think, that it is possible to hit somebody with a whip through an open door, even while standing 90 degrees rotated to it. I hope this questions is not to strange, but the situation occured 3 times in a game :-)
While you can attack an adjacent target with a melee attack even if it’s out of path (say on the other side of a door), I remember that it was officially ruled that Eva has to share a path with the target 2 circles away if she wants to use her whip. It’s in the topic “Rules questions and answers from FFG” somewhere in this forum.
Sorry, but I can’t say anything on „King of the Hill“ as I have never played it and don’t have the rules in front of me.

??! said:

If you are sharing a path with the target, you can also target it with a ranged attack.

How would you decide the situation at a "painted" door, which discriminates two seperate paths ? Do I need to attack melee through this? This would clear up some troubles that I explained in my other thread (rushing on the castle map).

If the attacker and the target are adjacent but not sharing a path with each other, they may only attack each other with melee attacks. If they are sharing a path, they may choose between melee and ranged attacks. On the castle map, you may only do melee attacks through the doors.

Ok,

this will change allot in the gameplay on the castle map

Hi i have the revised rule book infont of me and can answer the Tala Aponi question.

The TNT 440GR can be used in two different ways:

1 as a grenade - it explodes straight away dealing more auto success than a regular grenade and leaves a double rubble icon, but works as per the grenade rules.

2 can be place by Tala Aponi ONLY as an action in her activation as a rigged to go off bomb. once placed only a character with the engineering skill can deactivate it an pick it up [only Heizinger has Engineering for the reich in the base set] Tala can then detonate the device as an action in a later activation [not in the same activation if she somehow gains an extra action]

of note:

the device cannot be destroyed by any means other that by it being thrown as grenade or by Tala detonating it as described above.

if a character can pick it up by use of the engineering skill they still cannot plant it like Tala can, they can only throw it as a grenade using norma; grenade rules, but with 5 successes etc

There are not many characters who can pick up the TNT 440GR once its been planted by Taloni so tactically she would plant the device in a strategic location and the other members of the team would ensure that if there is an opposing engineer they would take out that character. Obviously this is better if the opposing side has no engineer at all.

the device is good because she can set the device early in the game to free up an eqipment slot to take a crate item, especially a first aid kit.

ideally she should use it to make narrow corridors difficult to move through or she should plant it next to crates or objective circles or even good overwatch circles, or even behind doors [remember grenades splash into all adjacent circles regardless of path colour]