Future Thoughts for FFG to Think About For Descent 2.0

By IronRavenstorm, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

First off I want to start off by saying that this is one wonderful game to have in your collection. Sure the game is different from the first edition, but we have to move on to change with the times. My purpose for writing this topic is to start throwing around some ideas that we as players would like to see in the future of this game.

I was just thinking about that myself. The new design of the game give the chance to include; big box expansions that add monsters, relics, heroes/classes, lieutenants, and quests; small box expansions that include a few heroes/classes, overlord cards, search cards, item cards, travel cards, etc.; then also allow quest books with new lieutenants, relics, and quests. With the new streamlined mechanics, it has opened up more options than 1st had. Not that I dislike first, I'll still play it, but I like each edition for what it tries to do.

I perfectly agree with this statement. I've been saying this since the first edition, and I will continue to try to push for this for Descent 2.0. Smaller box expansions with new quests, heroes, monsters, and items. A game similar to Descent called Super Dungeon Explore is capitalizing on the smaller unit box expansions to add to the core game. Come on FFG, and join the bandwagon. happy.gif On top of that it would be nice if you added undead heroes along with Uthuk. You just can't add them into your other Terrinoth games, and not expect us to want to play as them in Descent.

I saw that also, but I was wondering about them creating new ones to go along with their new themed enemy forces. I really don't picture Lord Merric Farrow leading a host of goblins around. It would be cool to see them create some goblin lieutenants to lead their goblin forces. I really see FFG going in multiple directions from this new edition. They can produce other big box expansions like what we saw before with new map pieces, heroes, enemy units, cards, and the rest of the whole works.

Then I see them creating small box expansions with new units and cards. I rather see them do that then have them be promotional items or sell them in a totally different game (Dungeon Quest). Maybe they could create a small box that focuses on magic users. You get some more new magic item cards, magic based heroes, and 7-13 magical enemy units. That is an example that they could possibly use that would work well with Lord Merric Farrow. This could be done with other different type themes also. They could even throw in a double sided sheet of paper with two quests to go along with the new units. If I was working for them this would be my plan for the game. I would believe this would make everyone happy.

Adding onto this I want to say that I don't think that they will ever re-release the old monster units in the future expansions. The old Lieutenants I do on the other hand see them making the cross over with new campaigns. Correct me if I am wrong, but I still believe that they are making them (or at least selling them still). I know that this would never happen, but I would like to add it into my wish list. I would like to see a Lieutenant figures of Margath, Lord Vorakesh, Blackwood Beast, and Sir Vyleen the Fallen. It would be a nice see them as figures to play out a storyline in Descent 2.0.

This leads me into some new types of monsters I would love to see added in. Recently I've been playing Runebound, and I think they have a ton they could cross over. First off I am finding it a hard time to think of large scale monsters to throw into the game, but I know that they are still out their. The only one I would really like to see is the Burrower from Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim. It would be cool to see the thing burrow underground and hid out for a while waiting to spring out on the heroes. They could also add in Berserker Ents (4 spaces), and Lizard Rats (2 spaces).

For the smaller scaled monsters I would like to see them do a better job with their expansions. Don't get me wrong I like the goblin archers along with the fleshmolders, but I really did not care for the zombies. bostezo.gif I think that they just added them because everyone loves zombies nowadays. It would be nice to see a witch type for the OL's mage type. Something on the lines of the witch of the woods, or shadow witch from Runebound, You really don't see many female enemies in the game, and they should be added (OL girl power). They could also do something with the lizard people from Runebound. It would be really cool to have a lizard warrior come at you with a spear weapon with reach (since normally the only monsters the OL has with reach are the large scale monsters). On top of everything I would like to see more human type bad guys like bandits, soldiers/knights, and etc…

Here is a question for anyone. Do you think that they would ever have mounted enemies for the two spaced OL monster? Like an Orc on a warg, or something?

One thing else I would like to add on. It would be nice if they had online a blank campaign printable sheet for us to create our own campaigns.

Some new ideas that I have floating around in my head are new class cards that can be used by multiple archetypes. An example would be the battlemage class. A class that could possibly be used by either a warrior or a mage character. This would allow cross-over skills that would bring the game to the next level. The shadow walker class could be used with either a scout or warrior character. See how easy it is to add the elements they already have from their other game Runebound into D2. They already have the Spiritwalker class, so I think this is a strong possibility.

On top of that I would like to see more familiars. I was kinda let down by the lack of them in the core game. Sure they became a handful for the OL to handle in the first edition, but they could balance it out in D2. Here are some ideas I would like to see in D2 for new familiars:

Class based familiars : Spiritwalker class skill card; Double sided token with two different snakes on each side. One is like a boa constrictor which can move on enemies causing immobilization if they can't roll or surge or something on top of doing +1?. The second snake would be a viper which could poison the enemy monster if it doesn't block it. So the Spiritwalker hero can pick which type of familiar they want to use, but they have to decide which one to use before the encounter begins. Or FFG just makes two snake tokens which would be nicer, but I just made it so they could be cheap by having two familiars on the same toke, Kinda like the relic cards being both good and evil. I only came up with this familiar because everyone first thought that one of the heroes was going to have a snake familiar, so this my take on how it would have been. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I think that people should be able to buy or find familiars. An example I came up with is the Fey familiar: It could stun an enemy monster if you pass a willpower roll. They could also bring back Mata and Kata to help the heroes reach the search tokens, but you don't get the item (if any) until they come back to you. Really, I just want some more familiars in the game. Maybe something that can leech heath from the monsters, and give it to it's hero.

Sorry for the long post, but I really wanted to get the ball rolling on new ideas for FFG to think about. Chances are that they would read this, but you never know who might be listening. happy.gif So let's hear what you other Descent players have to say…

The Waiqar Infantry Command set in RuneWars has a figure that is almost PERFECT for Lord Vorakesh.