Why two pegs in base?

By herozeromes, in X-Wing

Just wondering why the rules call for putting two pegs between the ship and the base. I think it would look better with one.

That is actually briefly touched on in the overlap/collision rules. Basically if two minitures are conflicting, remove a peg from one. I could see the potential for future expansion where pegs can show elevation. 1 peg is low, 2 is regular, 3 is high. It would all have to be relevant. maybe use an action to change elevation.

Hmm, something to think on.

Thanks,

Duncan

It also provides a convenient place to put ID tokens.

vadersson said:

That is actually briefly touched on in the overlap/collision rules. Basically if two minitures are conflicting, remove a peg from one. I could see the potential for future expansion where pegs can show elevation. 1 peg is low, 2 is regular, 3 is high. It would all have to be relevant. maybe use an action to change elevation.

Thanks,

Duncan

This would actually be a brilliant addition to tactical gameplay. Forget I said anything.

herozeromes said:

vadersson said:

Thanks,

Duncan

This would actually be a brilliant addition to tactical gameplay. Forget I said anything.

The idea of using variable number of pegs to represent three different levels of elevation could be a very interesting feature in scenarios representing dogfighting over planetary surfaces (level1 being pretty close to the surface, level 2 being high in the skies, and level 3 being almost in the stratosphere) with the lowest attitude enabling bombing runs against surface targets, but exposing the fighters to AA artillery.

Ya know, the more I think about it, elevation is pretty meaningless in this game. Unlike a planet based fighter sim, there is no advantage for diving on an opponent. In space there is no gravity well to pull you down for a faster dive. Nor is there any gravity to restrict your climb. X-wings can go up or down just as easily. And without any shield facing rules, there is no advantage to firing up of down on a ship. Therefore I am starting to think that this game is really well done without elevation issues.

(Now capital ships might be a different issue…)

Hmm, this discussion did make me think of something we could try with shield facings. After all we need to go double front for a trench run…

Thanks,

Duncan

This would be pretty neat. WoW has bombing and strafing rules. We'd need stats for the proton bombs the Tie bombers and Y-Wings use. I think the only time we see bombing is in the asteroid scene in Empire.

tiepilot1138 said:

This would be pretty neat. WoW has bombing and strafing rules. We'd need stats for the proton bombs the Tie bombers and Y-Wings use. I think the only time we see bombing is in the asteroid scene in Empire.

In cannon movies, yes.

The Expanded Universe, however, had produced a wide range of warheads used by Imperial forces.

The PC game X-Wing, and it's sequels (TIE Fighter, and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter), for example have TIE Bombers firing Concussion Missles (as they appear in the TIE Advanced expansion), Proton Torpedoes, Heavy Rockets… and some kind of bomb, who's name escapes me.

How's this for an idea (sorry to mob the thread), each expansion pack includes a scenario that uses that specific ship. Ywing gets to disable imperial satellites with ion cannon, TIE bomber gets it bombing run on a rebel outpost, TIE Advanced has DV taking out Luke Skywalker over and over in a flight sim he designed after Yavin to try and get the whole mess out of his system, etc

The Rogue Squadron games had lots of planet-side missions. I could see them introducing those types of missions in a future expansion where the introduce elevation rules.