4 excellent questions

By Jeff Lewis, in CoC Rules Discussion

Can someone please clarify the execution of the "Frozen in Time" story card. i.e. - who chooses these domains?; is it only one per player or all domains?;etc. NEXT...If a character gains terror icons from an attachment can it go insane? And as long as we're on the topic, what's the deal with "printed icons" in general and how they get affected and effect the game? NEXT...If all of the active players characters are removed from a story during the terror or combat struggle will the story continue to resolve so that the unactive player can unexhaust due to winning arcane struggle, also can the unactive player gain a success token for winning the investigation struggle? NEXT...Tcho-Tcho Talisman: Can you pay to bring it back into your hand at any time later in the game as long as it is in your discard pile or do you have to do that during the same phase that it enters your discard pile? Thanks in advance for your much needed assistance.

O.K. I have more time now so I'm going to actually write out the text from the card in question to help clarify. Frozen in time reads: "Each player must discard 2 cards from his deck for each resource attached to one of his domains, or destroy that resource." Who decides which resource (each individual player? or the winner of the story card?) or is it possible that this card is worded funny and it actually applies to all domains? The next question will be a separate post.

If a character gains terror icons from an attachment can it still go insane or do the newly acquired terror icons keep it from being an eligible target for insanity?

If all of the active players characters are removed from a story during the terror or combat struggle will the story continue to resolve so that the unactive player can unexhaust due to winning arcane struggle, also can the unactive player gain a success token for winning the investigation struggle?

Tcho-Tcho Talisman reads: "Response: After Tcho-Tcho Talisman is placed into any discard pile from play, pay 1 to return it to owners hand." Can you pay to bring it back into your hand at any time later in the game as long as it is in your discard pile or do you have to do that during the same phase that it enters your discard pile?

Jeffrey Wills said:

O.K. I have more time now so I'm going to actually write out the text from the card in question to help clarify. Frozen in time reads: "Each player must discard 2 cards from his deck for each resource attached to one of his domains, or destroy that resource." Who decides which resource (each individual player? or the winner of the story card?) or is it possible that this card is worded funny and it actually applies to all domains? The next question will be a separate post.

I think it is "funny worded" and it affects every domain. Either case, deciding what to discard is always made by the player who is discarding (in case no other explicit card text says otherwise).

Jeffrey Wills said:

If a character gains terror icons from an attachment can it still go insane or do the newly acquired terror icons keep it from being an eligible target for insanity?

You can't be eligible to become insane if you have any Terror icons, either printed or gained.

Jeffrey Wills said:

If all of the active players characters are removed from a story during the terror or combat struggle will the story continue to resolve so that the unactive player can unexhaust due to winning arcane struggle, also can the unactive player gain a success token for winning the investigation struggle?

Yes, once a story starts resolving, nothing stops it from resolving fully.

Jeffrey Wills said:

Tcho-Tcho Talisman reads: "Response: After Tcho-Tcho Talisman is placed into any discard pile from play, pay 1 to return it to owners hand." Can you pay to bring it back into your hand at any time later in the game as long as it is in your discard pile or do you have to do that during the same phase that it enters your discard pile?

No, Responses can only be used when their tigger triggers, and only then. In this case, you have to pay 1 the next response phase after the effect placing the Tcho-Tcho talisman in the discard pile from play resolved. This means almost inmediately if this happened during a "white boxed" part of the turn, or just after the current "gray boxed" part of the turn (the latter always has a specific "phase" in the turn order to do this).

Thanks so much for the help. One more thing about "Frozen in Time" just to be sure. If I have 3 domains with 2 resources each then I will have to discard 12 cards if I don't want to lose any resources. Is this correct? (of course, this is only if I choose to implement the story card in the first place.)

I'm not sure for the Frozen in time.

Here in Paris we play its effect just for one domaine. The card says "attached to one of his domains" and the card is not errated, no ?

I'm still not sure about it either and our post seems to have gone cold here. I'm also not convinced about the insanity thing and not being able to go insane even if a character has ONLY granted not printed terror icons. If anyone has any input...

Jeffrey Wills said:

I'm still not sure about it either and our post seems to have gone cold here. I'm also not convinced about the insanity thing and not being able to go insane even if a character has ONLY granted not printed terror icons. If anyone has any input...

Any terror icon will prevent insanity, printed or not.