Week Six Update

By ffgMark, in Game Mechanics

Hello all,

The developers have posted their weekly update ! Please use this thread if you wish to discuss its contents.

Thank you for your continued support.

Some great news, definitely.

The lasgun update is great, the stormtrooper switching WS for Finesse is cool too (though he still should get his own Carapace instead of borrowing the Good Light version! gui%C3%B1o.gif ), Field Sutures are a good idea against the bleeding problem and Frenzy got changed back to making sense.

Only point of criticism would be Extended Care: Right now, I would never Extend Care to a Critically Injured guy - he'll heal on his own anyway (or I might First Aid him), but if I screw up by even just a single point, he's dead. I would imagine that given a halfway competent medic, Extended Care should always be better and safer than letting people heal on their own.

Excellent update! I particularly like the Frenzy change. It looks like you guys tried to hit every whine on the forums and as far as I can see, you did.

While I like the field suture item, it still doesn't address exactly what roll should be made when someone besides the casualty tries to staunch blood loss. Few people patch their own severed femoral arteries you know.

Lovely changes. I'll go throw some math at those tanks and see what happens.

Judging by this week's updates, it pleases me no end to see how closely the FFG guys pay attention to our comments. :)

Basilisks can now miss. Psykers get small utility effects. Lasguns get variable settings. Vehicles seem more balanced.

Nice one. :D

Is just the Lasgun that gets the variable? That leaves out Laspistol, Lascarbine, and Bullpup. I'd like to see the Bullpup with Triplex's variable, making it like the carbine version of the Triplex.

I like pretty much all of this, ESPECIALLY Stormies getting Finesse and the lasgun update. The only thing I'm looking for out of the final update is, yes, Storm Troopers getting Common Craftsmanship Storm Trooper Carapace as standard either instead of or as an alternate to Good Craftsmanship Light.

Not particularly fond of having 4 less points for the Regimental Kit, and +2 per leftover point seems too little. Also, I'm still not convinced with the changes to Medicae. It speeds up recovery, sure, but also presents the funny situation that a medic will likely hold out providing first aid until the soldier is heavily wounded because he can only patch up people once a day.

Apart from those two things, great update.

Las weapon variable settings should be applied to most las weapons. Slightly more power for far less ammo is their equivalent of "special ammunition".

However, its still a little weak. For double the ammo use, +1 damage is not much improvement. Give an extra +1 Penetration there perhaps.

Overload? At least up the penetration just a bit. Going from reliable to unreliable with nothing in between is rather harsh when combined with x4 ammo use. Why not just triple instead?

Almost certainly the best update so far.

Storm Trooper's aptitude change is wonderful news, but he still needs his armor back.

Loving the Variable Settings on the M36 and Triplex. Wonderful changes. I can't wait to use both.

Availability changes are all good news. Frenzy change is welcome. Field Sutures are a good addition. The psyker abilities are unexpected and make me very, very happy. I'm glad vehicles seem to have been fixed; let's see those numbers get crunched! Also really liking the new rule on Krak 'nades.

I think all that's left is fixing the Storm Trooper's armour, giving Frag Grenades some extra oomph, and… that's it, really. Maybe work on changing Summary Execution? No matter what, great job on you, FFG.

Variable Settings for all Lasguns…. EQUAL RIGHTS!!!

The new triplex settings are rather interesting. And interesting is a weapon that gets chosen [usual caveat; so long as its not so weak one cannot use it.]

I'm not sure why inferno pistols have to be "Near Unique" here when they're "Very Rare" in Dark Heresy, but that's not a HUGE deal.

Anyway, for me, I agree that Stormies need their carapace back, the Medicae changes are a bit wonky and the +2 per leftover point for standard kit feels like too little (and indeed, I don't think it was neccessary to reduce the points from 30 to 26 to begin with. 26 feels like a remarkably arbitrary number). I have no opinion on the vehicle changes (since I was always very much on the fence with regards to whether vehicles were OP or not), but there is one issue… just one… that I will not let go…

That issue is giving Ork Boys BS 26. Really? Seriously? You're going to make these guys better shots than Nobs, Mad Doks and even Big Mek himself… make their BS SEVEN points better than it was in Creatures Anathema (and initially was in OW)… give them a BS that is within the average HUMAN range? I'm sorry, FFG, but no… just no… If you have to give the Orks a frankly un-Orky amount of marksmanship just to compensate for the changes Black Crusade made to single-fire, semi-auto and full-auto, then doesn't that suggest that the problem lies with the changes to the firing mechanics and NOT with the naturally low Ballistic Skill of the Orks? Either way, I can absolutely assure that no game of WH40K Roleplay I ever run (or, if I can help it, participate in) will see an Ork Boy with a Ballistic Skill of 26… That is for **** sure…

Good update this week. My only possible complaint is that bullpup lasguns are now pretty much pointless. With the carbines you can one hand-them more easily, but bullpups have nothing to make them more desirable than the M36.

The Medicae changes still need a look over, in my opinion. First Aid is far too useful as it is, given that it can be used repeatedly over a long period of time (reducing the desirability of Extended Care) and that it's barely effected by the patient being Heavily Injured. Before being Heavily Injured was a big deal as it drastically reduced your ability to be patched up. Now it only imposes a -10 modifier to the roll which means one less wound healed if the medic passes their test.

For Boyz, why not make them 20, with nobz 'round 30 and big meks 35? I've had a mekboy in Rogue Trader reach BS 47 in one game.

Rather, they'd get a special rule: DAKKA. Moar is better, after all. Orks reverse the Single/Semi/Full order of bonuses and penalties. Rokkits* fly wide but they go boom so its okay, but you have to aim them to at least compensate for the -10. Meanwhile, their other guns put so much energy or metal in the air that they're just plain bound to hit something.

Bullpups should get that incinerator mode. Perhaps S/2 instead, but inefficient: semi-auto in that mode costs 3.

The triplex would be more efficient, and also gets 'precise', but the bullpup would have a solid niche.

*do not underestimate the Rokkit Launcher. In a mek's hands its Reliable, and fully upgraded could be doing 5d10+7 E or X, with Pen 7 too, all on an Unstable twin-linked [needs bigga klip] frame with Tearing and spiffy red aimin bulbz. Final Range of damage after switching RF to BC/OW if he did not take mighty shot? 6~114; as likely to bounce off a human in a flak-suit as it is to fireball a Trukk.

Now when we have lasgun with variable setting Chaos RenegadeI Militia can have them again instead triplex. As to the Ork BS - they are horrible at shooting and even Warboss cannot hit enything unless he is lucky = no Ork [except Gretchin] should ever be better than BS 25. Big Mek from adventure still needs his unnatural S/T of 4 and 25 of wounds [he is a Nob basically]. Weirdboy has too many wounds, should have 25 [he is not bigger than a Nob]. And of course Ogryns S/T bonus is still too low, should be 4 not 2 [it also goes for NPC Ogryns who still are weaker than Nobs].

@CaptainTrek

I'm not sure why inferno pistols have to be "Near Unique" here when they're "Very Rare" in Dark Heresy, but that's not a HUGE deal.

Because vanilla Dark Heresy flat-out had no availability levels beyond Very Rare.

That issue is giving Ork Boys BS 26. Really? Seriously? You're going to make these guys better shots than Nobs, Mad Doks and even Big Mek himself… make their BS SEVEN points better than it was in Creatures Anathema (and initially was in OW)… give them a BS that is within the average HUMAN range? I'm sorry, FFG, but no… just no… If you have to give the Orks a frankly un-Orky amount of marksmanship just to compensate for the changes Black Crusade made to single-fire, semi-auto and full-auto, then doesn't that suggest that the problem lies with the changes to the firing mechanics and NOT with the naturally low Ballistic Skill of the Orks?

Of course creature stats will have to be interpreted within the system they're used in. If we rolled on every characteristic with a D10, would you be angry about humans now getting most stats at three rather than thirty?

I would limit the variable settings to the M36 maybe the Bullpup version, to make it stronger compared to the Lascarabine. There is no advantage in improving the las carabine to lasgun actually there is only more weight and one more shot at semi-auto which isn´t so much.

what about good or better quality Lasguns dont loose their reliable on overcharge ?

additionally the regiment points seems a little less (4-5 Req per leftover point would be better )

Regimental points going into the Kit? Yes.

Lower Kit points for some reason? No!

I do not know why the kit points were dropped to 26 of all numbers, but 30 was a good number ot work with. With the rather high cost for rather mundane items, those 4 points are a godsend. If people are left with 2+ points making thier regiments, their problem not taking a 2pts doctrine.

Also for Hunter-killer regiment; give a Sentinel per player character or a Hellhound per squad. Else you wil l spend all those kit point on having actual armour, grenades and a lasgun instead of other gear. We tried it, it didn't work that well. Everyone have Operate (ground) but only 1 sentinel? Every combat a new pilot operates it! Weeeeee…..

I agree with most of the sentiment here, reducing the base point to 26 is bad (both because it's a reduction to an already very limited resource and because it's quite an ugly number in a game where almost everything is a multiple of 5), only getting 2 points per leftover point is a joke. It needs to be upped to at least 5 to make it mean anything, maybe 10 points per leftover to make it a worthwhile decision to actually invest in it (looking at the equipment doctrine already available, the only one that could be problematic is Chameleonine, which is arguably very overpriced for only getting a Rare item, and could be entirely dropped without a problem with the bonus equipment points).

The update to the Triplex and Lasgun is nice, but variable should just be added to every las-weapon, they all use the same technology and, in most probability, the same batteries. The fix to the grav-chutes is also very nice, now you have to really fail to seriously hurt yourself, and even than, you'll probably just end up battered and bruised rather than pulverised.

And yes, Hunter-Killer should allow a Sentinel per individual , as it is a one-manned vehicle and should patrol in packs.

Variable still needs expanding.

Glad to see the Grav-chutes change make it.

Really love the extra rules for Krak Grenades.

although I had heard that inflicting 0 damage but triggering RF against tanks didnt deal 1 pt of structural damage, seems like that needs fixing.

this weeks was great, keep going.

I agree with Braddoc - it's highly unlikely that any 4 points from the kit section will be better than a two-point doctrine. Either up the ratio to 1:4 or go back to 30 points.

What is the minimum range for the Earthshaker?

I would extend the Variable Settings to all "normal" lasweapons (pistol, carbine, bullpup).

boooh said:

what about good or better quality Lasguns dont loose their reliable on overcharge ?

Good and Best quality need an improvement anyways when it comes to ranged weapons, but 'protecting' reliability a little more in steps this way would certainly be a step up.

I still maintain that the variable settings themselves [and hot shot charge packs] need a little bit more punch for how much more limited the ammo count goes… But I can understand that perhaps the improved outputs should be a matter of how rare the las-weapon is, as far as "this weapon is rare because its very high quality and takes a while to make".

It would take a lot of extra text to assign several settings to every single weapon's description text, however.

A weapon that can inflict 1d10+5 Pen 2 shots is pretty **** good. It certainly overcomes the complaint that a guardsman equivalent is far too good at absorbing lasfire. That it drops the weapon's effective ammo count from 60 to 15 is a fair trade, I say. If it were any more powerful there's be far less incentive to use more powerful weapons. As it is the boltgun only gets +2 Pen and Tearing over an overcharged M36.