Chinese Democracy (The album)

By bloodycelt, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

So I had a first listening, and I feel disapointed. This isn't Appetite, but what is promising is that it has the same reaction I had to Illusion which was WTF? (Eventually I warmed up to them).

So the title track, and if the world I like, I haven't decided on most of the other tracks. But the problem seems to me is that it feels like this is a compilation of several theme albums. Sort of how I imagine a Dreamtheater best of would be like... a bunch of songs that feel part of something bigger but not this album. And it makes sense due to the time and staff changes this album had.

I'll post again after I've given it a second listening and processed it.

I am curious what the uber gnfr fans think, (Nate?).

So... a bit after a few listens:

Chinese Democracy......... The Velvet Revolver song.

Shackler's Revenge........... Maralyn Manson/NIN (A rather decent industrial track with guitar solos).

Better.................................... The Dreamtheater Song (Seems very prog like, and should have been part of a concept album)

Street of Dreams ............... The Bruce Springsteen Song (Meh...)

If the World........................... The James Bond Song (I like this a lot, it's sort of fun and cool, has some interesting sounds. And Axl reminding me of a 70's aged female R&B/Soul singer is amusing.

More to come later.

Is the new album with "/" or is it just "Axel and the other guys" ?

No Slash. As far as I know Axl is the only original member on the album. And if you were expecting something as good as or better than Appetite, you're crazy. It's one of the best rock album's ever (and I say that as "casual" GnR fan). Pearl Jam will never top "Ten". Tool will never top "Aenima". NIN will never top "Downward Spiral". And GnR will never top "Appetite for Destruction". Certain things are just given.

mr.suicide said:

No Slash. As far as I know Axl is the only original member on the album.

~My sanity is just as fine as it could be. ;-)

I was only asking, because i was listened to a Axl and the other non original band members and thought that they were nothing special at all. So if a reunion would have been planned for the new album i would ´ve been inclined to give them a shot. But this way i will stay tune to the latest AC/DC album. :-)

mr.suicide said:

No Slash. As far as I know Axl is the only original member on the album. And if you were expecting something as good as or better than Appetite, you're crazy. It's one of the best rock album's ever (and I say that as "casual" GnR fan). Pearl Jam will never top "Ten". Tool will never top "Aenima". NIN will never top "Downward Spiral". And GnR will never top "Appetite for Destruction". Certain things are just given.

I think Pretty Hate Machine is far better than "Downward Spiral".

Re: Aenima never being topped by Tool

Err... I really dunno... I've thought each tool Album gets better and can stand on it's own.

Re: G'N'R Not being it's original lineup

Key thing that most people are missing is that they want the Appetite for Destruction line up.

That isn't going to happen. Steven Adler is so messed up, feel free to watch an episode of this seasons "Dr. Drew" for more details there.

You've lost Izzy as well.

Considering by the time G'N'R hit it big, they no longer had the "Guns" that made the band "Guns'N'Roses".

Personally, the album is good for what it's worth. It's growing on me the more that I listen to it.

It’s still too early to really judge, but I’m fascinated thus far by the album. Morgan picked it up for me the day of its release, and I’ve been listening pretty much non-stop ever since.

Currently, there are 2 big picture things I’ve been dwelling on:
1) There seems to be an overarching theme of relationships coming to a bad end. Times, it seems that the music is about a former, intense relationship with an ex- lover. At other times (and sometimes simultaneously) it seems that Axl is singing at or about his former bandmates . And then there is Axl’s complex, love/hate relationship with success, fame, the media, and his admirers, that is also a big part of what seems to me to be the tri-fold theme of the album. Individually, any one of these concepts makes for a compelling listen, but it is the way they mingle and sort themselves out (along with Axl’s thoughts and feelings) in the music that really allows them to take on a form that can’t be expressed without music.
2) The knee-jerk reaction (it was mine too) is “it’s not Appetite.” Well, no. Appetite was, and still is, unlike anything I’ve ever heard before or since. An imitation of Appetite would be injustice to both albums. But Chinese Democracy is also unlike anything I’ve ever heard before.
What Axl, Slash, and Co. did with Appetite back in 1987 was to take elements that had grown somewhat stale in popular music (glam, punk, metal, blues) and deliver them up with passion and volatility on a classic hard rock background. This time around it’s techno, industrial, grunge, R&B, prog-metal, and eastern sounds that are delivered up on the rock background we’ve come to expect from GNR. Chinese Democracy is a different dish than Appetite was 21 years ago, but it’s burning on the same fire.
Individual Song Hi-lites – These are the songs and spots that are particularly compelling right now. I’m still hearing new things every time I listen to the album.
IRS – I wonder if Axl ever sounded better. “I bet you think I’m doin’ this all for my health/ I shoulda looked again babe at somebody else/ Feelin’ like I’m done way more than wrong/ Feelin’ like I’m living inside of this song…” Ripping guitar work. Killer solos.
Better – Great lyrics and delivery. The song has the feeling that it was constructed perfectly, and recalls Dream Theater at their best. The final minute and a half or so alone makes the past 14 years worth the wait. I appreciate an artist who takes the time to do something right.
Shackler’s Revenge – A friend thinks this song sounds dated. I think it’s one of the best tracks on the album in the way it takes a number of musical elements that may be a little dated on their own and puts them back together into something new. The chorus is classic GNR.
There Was a Time – The lyrics take us back to the beginning: “Broken glass and cigarettes, writing on the wall, it was a bargain for the summer, and I thought I had it all…” The song is somewhat nostalgic, but its sound is fresh.
Catcher In the Rye – Reminds me of some of the more heartfelt tracks on the Illusion albums, and it also has a classic 70’s rock feel to it. I’m a big fan of the lyrics as well.”On an ordinary day, not in an ordinary way, all at once the song I heard, no longer would it play…”
Street of Dreams –The demo track was called “The Blues,” I wonder why he changed the name. Cool little tune, nice piano. The solo could probably be a little better – it’s not bad, but Slash’s absence is most felt here, IMO.
Madagascar – Seems to be at once a sequel to Civil War and Estranged. Which is saying quite a bit, as those songs are rather diverse, but brought together in an interesting way here. One of my favorites.
Chinese Democracy – OK song, the “anthem” of the album. That riff was written for a live audience. I can hear it now.
This I Love – Power ballad, Axl really impresses here. This was initially my favorite on the album, but others have grown on me.
Prostitute – Seems to be a kinder, gentler version of “Rocket Queen.” It has the range of that song, but isn’t quite as aggressive. The ending, with the haunting piano on top of a faint Buckethead solo always gets me choked up for some reason, and makes me want to listen to the entire album again.

I (and apparantly the bloggers) agree that Shakler's is one of the best tracks. I also really like prostitute now. I feel the money I spent on the album was worth more than the money I spent on Use Your Illusion I and II (though Civil War and Don't Cry are $#@!ing badass).

It's been fourteen years of silence...