another monstro lvl 1 question

By Thirroxin, in Rules Discussions

Sorry, I know you all must be sick of this at this point but i have a problem.

If you have 3 friends out while monstro is out, can you play a magic friend or friend that has a come into play effect then sack it off to go back down to 3?

EX.

play mickey, fetch for chip and dale, discard mickey?

I am almost positive this is allowed, but i wanted your guys input to be sure..,.

Thirroxin said:

Sorry, I know you all must be sick of this at this point but i have a problem.

If you have 3 friends out while monstro is out, can you play a magic friend or friend that has a come into play effect then sack it off to go back down to 3?

EX.

play mickey, fetch for chip and dale, discard mickey?

Yes you can. The comes into play effect resolves before the global effect of Monstro

Thats what i thought, thats what i ruled at the local shop the other day, so im glad to hear i was right on that one.

Thx Lawliet!

gran_risa.gif

While I'm not going to argue the ruling, I do want to make sure I understand:

Monstro says that no player can have more than three Friends in their Friend Zones. The [Come into Play] effect resolves as the Friend is being played, and therefore must hit the field, bypassing Monstro's limit. This is what I understand from what has been said.

Does this ruling apply to Friends without [Come into Play] effects as well? "Yes" was in the subtext of the forum, but then I would like a reasoning why it gets around Montro's "no more than three," as you must have a fourth (for a brief period) to discard another.

Broadway_Punk said:

Monstro says that no player can have more than three Friends in their Friend Zones. The [Come into Play] effect resolves as the Friend is being played, and therefore must hit the field, bypassing Monstro's limit. This is what I understand from what has been said.

Does this ruling apply to Friends without [Come into Play] effects as well? "Yes" was in the subtext of the forum, but then I would like a reasoning why it gets around Montro's "no more than three," as you must have a fourth (for a brief period) to discard another.

What it is is, you play the 4th friends (look at the last line on Monstro and you'll see why you can do this), then the CiP effect (if they have one ) activates, then you have to discard one of the friends to bring you back down to three.

Broadway_Punk said:

As implies that the friend has yet to resovle on the board, meaning that monstro's global effect can't yet take place until CioP effect resolves. once the effect resolves, the friend is on the board and monstro's effect takes place.

do you mean could you play a friend then sack itself to satisfy monstro? yes

Can you play a fourth friend with monstro in play? Yes but you must choose and discard one.

ex Roxas has a phil lvl 1 an Owl and a Sephiroth in play and Monstro level 1 is on the board. Roxas plays Tidus as a fourth friend and chooses to discard Owl to satisfy Monstro level 1 . Roxas then decides to play Simba level 3 with Sephiroth as the caster. Since Simba's effect is a comes into play effect it must first be resolved. Roxas Chooses Simba and Tidus to be discarded. Roxas has 2 friend cards in play after the effect resolves so he is not over the monstro level 1 limit.