Season of the Witch "no win"

By Musha Shukou, in Mansions of Madness Print on Demand Expansions

Is it intentional in the Season of the Witch PoD expansion to create a no-win scenario for the investigators? If an investigator uses Nola's Journal on the Irregular Wall before finding the Spectral Guard (finding clue 2 before clue 3), he is unable to recover the alien statue, and thus unable to destroy the Black Book, and thus unable to win the game with objective 1A. This was quite disappointing. Is it intentional?

Dam said:

Yes, it is possible for that to happen, but IMO, the investigators have only themselves to blame. Why, especially when you have a scenario-critical item (does it even have the Key keyword on it?) would you EVER go to somewhere but the next Clue?

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/686769/problems-with-the-season-of-the-witch-keeper-choic

Oh, yes. I know it is possible for it to happen as it very much DID happen. But I'm wondering if it was intentional or a design flaw. Anybody know?

I'd put my money on "design flaw." Mansions and its expansions are notoriously rife with flaws, and nobody likes a situation where one side or the other cannot possibly win. There's no way this was intentional.

I've lined out text on the Journal to show that it isn't discarded when used as a key.