Any ideas on a release schedule for future expansions?

By ImmortalJedi, in X-Wing

Anyone have any ideas when the next wave of expansions may be released, based on other miniature releases from FFG? Do they usually release a new mini each month, or a couple of ships released on the same date spaced out over a year? Something like 4 ships in Oct, another 4 in Feb, another 4 in June, etc…

I have never collected a FFG miniture game, but I have played a few of there other games. My experience is that, expansions may seem to come a little slow, but they keep comming, which is way preferable to getting a bunch of expansions in the first year and then letting the game die. I hate it when game companies let the games I love die, because they stop expanding / supporting them.

It's tough to say, but one thing to consider is the tournaments. They will start off by having all 5 products available for the first tournament. I think this is a mistake. They should have had only Core Sets available for the first tournament and then had the first wave of expansions available for the world tournaments. I feel like they really need to let the strategies for the current ships develop and see how they play out in the world championships before they go and release more fighters. But I have a hunch they'll release those right before the championships the same way they're releasing these sets a day before the first tournament.

I think they had to release at least some of the expansions now. People would have got bored with just a starter, and possibly lost interest before the first wave of expansions hit. This way they have more ships to use, and the only "Real expansions" are the Y-Wing and Tie Advanced, since the other two are really just new pilots and equipment.

On the other hand, how many of us are buying multiple starters just to get more ships?

tiepilot1138 said:

On the other hand, how many of us are buying multiple starters just to get more ships?

/me raises hand.

But that's just pure economics, $40 for a starter or $45 for 2x TIE and and X-Wing, plus you get all the templates and a set of dice. Ironically I'm still buying a starters worth of individuals on top of the 2 starters, but I got to have some of the unique pilots.

tiepilot1138 said:

I think they had to release at least some of the expansions now. People would have got bored with just a starter, and possibly lost interest before the first wave of expansions hit. This way they have more ships to use, and the only "Real expansions" are the Y-Wing and Tie Advanced, since the other two are really just new pilots and equipment.

/raises hand

Ive got four starters on order, along with 4-5 of each expansion.

thats pretty insane!

ive got a starter and 1 of each expansion so far but im considering another starter, another tie and another y wing to make the totals 1 tie advanced and 6 ties, and 3 x wings + 2 y wings, which should make for a good multiplayer game.

is this game out in the uk yet ???

Man, I need to get on this. I will probably order the Starter and two expansions (haven't pre-ordered yet), but I can't decide which 2 expansions I want most…

wormiespice said:

is this game out in the uk yet ???

It's not out in the US yet.

Yeah, I got two starters coming. Purely economics in that too. I pre-ordered some expansion packs too, but I forgot exactly what I got. It will be more fun to open them when they get here that way. ;)

Thanks,

Duncan