Pre first game, any suggestions?

By k7e9, in Tannhauser

Hello everyone,

I've recently orderd Tannhäuser and it should arrive by the end of this week (or early next week). My initial order contains the core box, the revised rule book and the equipment cards. So before I dive into the game, are there any things I should think about when trying it out for the first time? For example, are there any rules which are hard to interpret etc.? What's a good number of players for the first game? Are there any "must have" expansions, if me and my gaming group decide to purchase more stuff for the game later on?

Thanks in advance!

Tannhauser is at it's best with two players, but you can play team, but with only the core set I'd say no more then four players. One hero and one trooper per player.

Second thing for your first game is start small, use half size teams for two players, play Deathmatch, and use only Combat Packs, this will let you focus on learning the rules and not on the Metagame, which is quite complex in TH.

Then play a game with Stamina Packs, and look at how things change.

Once you play a couple games and have the basics down, go for Objective mode, full squads, and really think about pack choice.

As for what to buy next there is another thread on that.

Link:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=48&efcid=1&efidt=687986

Now for the blog plug:

Check out my blog (link in signature) on the side menu you find a bunch of how to play tutorials, scenarios, and at the top there are pages of video including a game demo.

+1 to Miah's reply but I would also add that after you are comfortable with the box game pick up Operation: Daedalus for 2 campaigns of scenarios. Makes the game shine!